Frank Mir: "Diverticulitis took Brock Lesnar out; He would have dominated."

fubak75

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here is a quote from the article:

Mir says that the reason for Brock's downfall was diverticulitis and that if he had not gotten ill like that, he would have dominated the division.

I agree. Lesnar was overrated as hell but he was never the same after his illness.

Of course the diverticulitis had a big negative impact on Brock's fighting but Mir's just praising the dude who destroyed him.

Mir is just saying this to make himself feel better for getting battered by Brock last time they fought.

Brock would have had a longer career obviously, and probably a couple more pretty good wins if not for his illness, but in reality his problems in his losses were that he didn't deal well with getting hit, and he didn't fight smart. I don't think he would have been dominant.

Mir is correct. He would know better than anyone else. Mir is an intelligent, honest,articulate fellow.

I agree. Lesnar was overrated as hell but he was never the same after his illness.

Overrated isn't the right word.

Overhyped. If he'd walked in as a former DI champ instead of "WWE headliner" and crushed a few more guys before he got a UFC main event slot he would've been one of the legitimate biggest stars in the sport.

Instead most people couldn't get over the "fake wrestling" background. If MMA was in 2000 where it is now, I think he would've gone straight to MMA and been a long time star/champion. He hated the pro wrestling scene/lifestyle and craved competition.

But, we'll never know.

Overrated isn't the right word.

Overhyped. If he'd walked in as a former DI champ instead of "WWE headliner" and crushed a few more guys before he got a UFC main event slot he would've been one of the legitimate biggest stars in the sport.

Instead most people couldn't get over the "fake wrestling" background. If MMA was in 2000 where it is now, I think he would've gone straight to MMA and been a long time star/champion. He hated the pro wrestling scene/lifestyle and craved competition.

But, we'll never know.

I completely agree with you. He accomplished a lot, in my opinion.

C'mon now. Brock was a monster. He lost to overeem because of two knees and one flush kick to the midsection after his surgery. Had he started a couple years earlier and not had diverticulitis he would be dominating this divison, he'da beaten Cain the second time around for sure. I'm gonna venture to say that 70% of Frank's statement is the truth and 30% is to make himself feel better.

Brock's MMA game had some glaring holes, but he had the physical skills to compete with the UFC's best in a short amount of time. His disease clearly played a part in his 'downfall', any reasonable person would agree.

It wasn't just the illness it was all the time he had away from training. Brock was playing catch up getting such a late start and post UFC 100 he had deal with his first bout of that illness and it took him away from progressing as a fighter for basically a year.. Then after he lost to Cain it happened again this time needing surgery. His progression stopped..

I still think Cain would have beat him.

still reckon Cain would have beaten him without the illness.

I think so too but if Brock had never gotten sick i think he would have racked up 4 or 5 more top 10 wins before retiring.. Including a 3rd fight with Mir.. His legacy really got cut short..

If Brock would have never been sick he would still be champion. By the time Brock fought Cain and Overeem he had 2 operations removing half of his guts for crying out loud. Healthy Brock would have ran through Cain,Overeem, JDS and anyone else who even thought about getting close to the title. Brock was the most dominant heavyweight champion that the ufc had ever seen. And if anyone disagrees, well you're wrong.

Mir would say that wouldn't he.

Part of it to make himself feel better for sure..

Brock just dessimated him at UFC 100.. One of the most vicious revenge matches ever in MMA..

Lesnar's combination of speed/explosiveness/strength was unsurpassed by anyone we have seen enter the Octagon. He was never the same after the diverticulitis. I think he would have given anyone in the UFC a run for their money if not for his illness, because he came back looking like a shell of his former self.

Haters like to use his later performances to say he was always overrated, but there is not denying he did not look the same fighter when he came back.

Last edited:
I still don't buy the diverticulitis excuse. Obviously it's a debilitating disease but Lesnar beat Frank Mir and Randy Couture at the height of his illness. After his surgery, he said he felt better than ever and he could finally train without getting sick. He simply ended up fighting better competition and couldn't hang.

Brock's problem has always been passion. He doesn't like or follow MMA. He goes where the money is and he stated after the Cain fight, his priorities changed. He didn't want to end up injured and or risk spending the rest of his life hurt from damage in a fight.

If you think diverticulitis ended Brock's career, all you need to do is look at how he looked at WrestleMania 29.

4.gif

Back