Fun boxing drills for young boxers.

wilKO

Green, White & Gold belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I am currently working part time at my local boxing club and am helping young boxers from the age of 9-12 improve.

I want to know if anyone has any fun or innovative training games to do with them when they arent sparring or on the bags?

I remember hearing a game where the boxer hangs a sock out of the top of his t-shirt and his goal is to steal his opponents sock before his is stolen and I thought that sounded like a good game and would help young kids with timing and keeping their hands up and at the same time be safe and fun.

Anyone ever heard of this one or have any other ones that I should try?

A fun sparring drill is to have them spar VERY lightly with gloves on and at random one will hold his gloves open like pads and call out a combo, after its the other guys turn to be the pad holder.

I love the socks idea. Try this one, too. With 2 kids, put them in a ring (or marked off square), have one be "it". The kid can only "tag" someone out with one hand (make him wear a glove) while the other hand is behind his back. The other kid can use both hands, but only to block. Let them lose for about 1 minute at a time and have them switch off. Each time the kid who is "it" lands a punch, he gets a point, even if the other kid blocks. Break them up if they hold. His goal is to get as many points as he can during his minute and to avoid getting tagged as many times as possible when he is not "it". Loser does a push up for every point behind he is.
The object of the game is to teach them about ring awareness so they can either cut off angles and get the fight to the corner when the attack or learn to stay out of corners and to keep moving when they are on defense.

cheers for the suggestions so far.

My suggestion is similar to the sock drill.

My suggestion is a clothes pin drill. You are partnered up, each person has a clothes pin pinned to each shoulder. In a squared off area, the object is to grab one of your partners clothes pins from his shoulder while trying not to get your taken off. Each time you grab your partners pin he has to do 5 push ups.

When doing this drill make sure you are maintaining proper stance. I find this drill is great for footwork, body movement and fakes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fold a piece of A4 paper in half and have one hold it in their mouth, hands behind their back. The other tries to snatch it out. Have them practice with just jabs, then crosses, then both hands whilst the other tries to avoid with just head and foot movement. Teaches good reaction speed.

Obviously, use a fresh bit of paper for the other side!

bump

I also train some kids and could use some drills especially non sparring/contact ones since only a couple of the kids actually spar.

I put tape on the ground parallel to make about a one to two foot gap between boxers. Then I give them each two handfuls of cotton balls or small styrofoam balls. Then I put on the round timer. They use their punch techniques to throw the Cotton balls at each other while using evasive movements to avoid their opponents. When they run out, they grab them off the ground. I let them throw at opponents on the ground so that no one stays down just to avoid getting tagged. They do this for two to three rounds. I make the other students watching to be corner men/women. They watch to look for offensive/defensive strategies to support their designated boxer.

I play "Smell my feet" with my kids. It started out has a striking drill to get my kids balancing whilst lifting their feet and then it turned into a grappling game. The goal is merely put your feet in the other persons face so they have to "smell" your feet. It gets dramatic and very fun.

Check the youtube page in my sig. Lots of drill vids.

Put close pins on their shoulders and play the sock snatching game but with the pins

Back