Game Services thread, v2: Ubisoft headline portends a darker gaming future

Microsoft says it has stopped its Xbox Game Pass $1 trial offer
pour-drink.gif

Netflix is testing TV games that can use phones as controllers
This revelation on the heels that they're going to nearly double their library size (from ~55 games to 95 games) in 2023.
Engadget said:
Netflix might have started (or is at least looking to start) testing games for TV, based on code within its app that developer Steve Moser has shared with Bloomberg. Moser reportedly found hidden code referencing games played on television, as well as additional code that indicates the possibility of being able to use phones as controllers to play them. One line from within the app apparently reads: "A game on your TV needs a controller to play. Do you want to use this phone as a game controller?" Moser also previously found hints that the service's then-upcoming ad-supported plan might not come with offline viewing. He turned out to be spot on.

The streaming giant launched its gaming experience on Android, iPhones and iPads in 2021. It requires mobile users to download games from the App Store or from Google Play due to rules set by Apple and Google. But since the point of these games is to increase engagement and retain users, they can be launched from within the Netflix app and an active subscription is necessary to be able to access them. On the Netflix app for TV, these games are notably absent.

It remains to be seen how the company intends to implement gaming on TVs and whether it will also require users to download the games before being able to play them. Netflix VP of game development Mike Verdu said last year, though, that the company was "seriously exploring a cloud gaming offering" and that it's looking to launch more than just casual games for television.

It was inevitable. It's been simply too amazing a value; so much so that analysts have questioned how it could be profitable.
Microsoft is raising Xbox Game Pass prices for console and Ultimate
Microsoft announced an increase in the Xbox Game Pass price for console and ultimate subscribers (thanks, The Verge). The price change goes into effect on July 6, 2023, for anyone who isn’t a Game Pass subscriber, while current subscribers will start paying more on Aug. 13, 2023.

The console Game Pass price will increase from $9.99 to $10.99, while Ultimate subscribers will be paying $16.99 instead of $14.99. This increase marks the first time Xbox has raised the price of its subscription service since the platform launched in 2017.
It appears the Game Pass for PC price will remain unchanged.

Posting this here as the Game Services thread as been moved to the archive

The XBOX Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate trick ratio now works out to 3:2 instead of 1:1

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help...age-subscriptions/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-faq

What happens to my prepaid months of Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, and/or EA Play when I Sign up for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate [NOTE: NOT ACTIVELY SUBSCRIBED TO GPU, CAN BE LAPSED USERS, TOO]?
When you subscribe to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, we'll convert any prepaid time you have on Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, or EA Play subscriptions and apply it toward the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate plan at the current conversion ratio, up to a maximum of 36 months. Prepaid time conversion is final and non-refundable, and ratios are subject to change.
  • Xbox Live Gold and PC Game Pass conversion ratio: Any remaining time will convert to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate time at a ratio of 3:2 and be rounded up to the next full day. For example, 90 days remaining of Xbox Live Gold or PC Game Pass will convert to 60 days of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate time.
  • Xbox Game Pass for Console conversion ratio: Any remaining time will convert to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate time at a ratio of 4:3 and be rounded up to the next full day. For example, 90 days remaining of Xbox Game Pass for Console will convert to 68 days of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate time.
  • EA Play conversion ratio: Any remaining time will convert to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate time at a ratio of 3:1 and be rounded up to the next full day. For example, 90 days remaining of EA Play will convert to 30 days of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate time.

Compare to the conversion table for existing subscribers:

With Xbox Game Pass Ultimate [NOTE: EXISTING GPU SUBSCRIPTION ACTIVE], can I still redeem codes for Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, and EA Play?
Yes. These codes will automatically convert to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate at a ratio based on the following table. Conversion ratio subject to change.

1X2b1Ax.png

Live Gold is finished , Game Pass Core will replace it moving forward on September 14th

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/07/17/xbox-game-pass-core/

Today, we're continuing our commitment to give players more choice and value by introducing Xbox Game Pass Core, launching on September 14. Game Pass Core is the evolution of Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass Core will give players access to our advanced multiplayer network, a select collection of over 25 games to play with friends around the world, and exclusive member deals, all for $9.99 USD per month or $59.99 USD per year.

For over twenty years, Xbox players have been connecting via Xbox Live to compete, cooperate, and experience the world's biggest online multiplayer games. In 2017, we introduced Xbox Game Pass which provided a curated library of games. Game Pass Core brings online play together with Game Pass in a new offering for gamers around the world.

With this evolution, we're saying farewell to Games with Gold. We wanted to use this opportunity to re-imagine how to include content with this subscription. We found that the answer to the most compelling catalog was to leverage select titles from our Xbox Game Pass catalog.

Our launch collection of more than 25 titles from Xbox Game Studios, Bethesda, and our content partners will offer something for everyone to play on their Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles. Today we're confirming the following titles for launch*, with more to be announced in advance of September 14. New titles will be added 2-3 times a year.

Games Offered:

• Among Us
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • Doom Eternal
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Grounded
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Inside
  • Ori & The Will of the Wisps
  • Psychonauts 2
  • State of Decay 2
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

Game Pass Options from now on

Xbox-Wire_SKU-chart_English_1920x1080_01-3d252e8eca2501f34d43.jpg

The $1 gamepass trial has had its length shortened down from a month to 14 days.

rxkjHsV.png

Ubisoft + will have Activision / Blizzard games available for streaming upon completition of the deal, and they will also license the games to a range of cloud streaming and subscription services

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/22/...cquisition-ubisoft-cloud-gaming-rights-uk-cma

"To address the concerns about the impact of the proposed acquisition on cloud game streaming raised by the UK Competition and Markets Authority, we are restructuring the transaction to acquire a narrower set of rights," says Microsoft president Brad Smith. "This includes executing an agreement effective at the closing of our merger that transfers the cloud streaming rights for all current and new Activision Blizzard PC and console games released over the next 15 years to Ubisoft Entertainment SA, a leading global game publisher. The rights will be in perpetuity."

"Ubisoft will compensate Microsoft for the cloud streaming rights to Activision Blizzard's games through a one-off payment and through a market-based wholesale pricing mechanism, including an option that supports pricing based on usage," explains Smith. "It will also give Ubisoft the opportunity to offer Activision Blizzard's games to cloud gaming services running non-Windows operating systems."

Looks like the $1/£1 14 day GP trial has been removed recently for the time being (not the first time its happened, will be back)

Yeah it's getting expensive... Its making me think about whether I should retain my PS Plus account these days. Looking for discounts or deals have been hard. Used to be easy and cheap to load up multiple years but now I can't seem to be finding any discounts. Back when i was deep into Destiny having a PS Plus account was a necessity. But nowadays there isn't any online gaming I am doing on PS5 aside from re-running Returnal. Been gaming all online on my PC.

It looks like I'll have to check cdkeys.com and penguin more often each year. Sometimes they have some pretty decent deals.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2023/08/30/ps-plus-gets-significant-price-increases-next-week

Premium $120 to $160
Extra $100 to $135
Essential $60 to $80

Massive increases with no even promised additional features. Unlike Gamepass, Sony exclusives do not launch on the service.

If anyone has any interest in these subscriptions, I'd grab them now, you still have a few days before a massive hike.
Far more substantial hikes than Microsoft when they increased their prices two months ago. The PC tier saw no increase, and the Xbox tier was increased $1/mo, or +$12/yr (vs. $+35/yr). The Ultimate tier was increased $2/mo, or +$24/yr (vs. +$40/yr).

Yikes.

Far more substantial hikes than Microsoft when they increased their prices two months ago. The PC tier saw no increase, and the Xbox tier was increased $1/mo, or +$12/yr (vs. $+35/yr). The Ultimate tier was increased $2/mo, or +$24/yr (vs. +$40/yr).

Yikes.

I was pretty surprised, I am kind of a Sony fanboy but only play single player or local multi so I dont have PS+. I was actually looking at it a few days ago at single player games on the service to see if I'd want it.

I just dont see the value at $160. The games on the service can generally be found for steep discounts on Ebay or the PS Store and they are actually mine vs. a rental.

I just dont see the value at $160. The games on the service can generally be found for steep discounts on Ebay or the PS Store and they are actually mine vs. a rental.
I wouldn't go that far. It's definitely not as good as Game Pass, but Game Pass forced Sony to adapt, or risk jeopardizing their momentum beating Microsoft, and thanks to that, the result is another service offering value far, far beyond anything we'd ever seen in console gaming prior to Game Pass. Sony obviously reached out to many of the same companies as a core in their library of aging titles so closely resembles Game Pass's own.

Besides, the Premium tier is crap, and has been since launch. Extra or Essential is the way to go. Unlike Microsoft's base "Core" tier, which is insultingly bad, anyone would be an idiot to get it over the PC/Xbox tiers, the Essential tier still comes with worthy free giveaways, and the significant price reduction versus the Extra tier makes it appealing. With Game Pass, you want the 2nd or 3rd tiers: PC/Xbox or Ultimate. With PS Plus, you want the 1st or 2nd tiers: Essential or Extra.

Ultimately, it comes down to gaming habits, I suppose. But this is a massive list of games for $135/yr:
https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/all-ps-plus-games

And remember you can purchase subscriptions on the gray key markets as many already do Game Pass subscriptions. I've seen 12 months of Extra (burner accounts) for as low as $43, currently, from resellers with 95%+ positive ratings.

Back