GamerGate News & Discussion v6: #GamesSoWhite Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tale of Tales, who brought in Leigh Alexander as a consultant for their game which was apparently lauded by the SJWs is going out of business due to commercial failure.

Just proves that these SJWs don't give a shit if you appease them, they're not gonna buy your damn game, they'll just move on to something else.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAc...industry_tale_of_tales_after_being_lauded_by/

Tale of tales has some hit and miss games

Graveyard was a joke

the path was good

salome is ok for a 1-2 hours

Bient

Hypersensivity isn’t the only problem with today’s campuses

I think this article is relevant to Gamergate because you have two sides that absolutely refuse to come together on any issues and instead they attack each because of their differing views.

From the Article:

This is not a world of students who are scared of ideas – they attack them, consider themselves at war with them and, in doing so, one another. The admittedly idyllic concept of rational academic discussion is all too easily tossed aside in favour of fiercely held debates, where a person’s character is fair game.

It’s a world where moral aspersions are all too easy to make. With discussions about highly contentious issues taking place more and more frequently online, it doesn’t take much to make the leap from “I disagree with how you feel about that issue” to “I think less of you as a person for your opinion.” This is not a climate that encourages communication between differently minded students.

I haven't played any of their games but I went on their Twitter and there's a lot of despairing at the state of gaming and blaming it on the 'we want our COD, video games aren't art' crowd, which I'm not sure even exist in large numbers (outside of children).

The reality is anyone can make a video game and get it on digital distribution sites like Steam. It costs $100 to put your game up on Steam Greenlight. The financial barrier to entry to the indie games scene is $100.

Whilst there are some convention flouting games I've loved (Papers Please, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, The Stanley Parable, fucking DARK SOULS), all game makers are owed is the chance to make their own artistic vision, they are not owed financial success.

I think it's a shot at the whole skinny jeans, ironic beard wearing mangina who see Frat Guys as these meatheaded douchebags who bully people who aren't like them. Which is exactly what the Social Justice Warriors are, "You don't believe in the very specific things I believe in?! I'm going to get all of my friends to attack you".

I took the dudebro frat boy PC Principal as being South Park's way of saying that the bullied have now become the bullies. They've become the thing, the stereotype they hated.

Great episode.

A game by SJWs, for SJWs, heavily advertised on SJW websites crashes and burns and the developer has a predictable meltdown vowing to help with the "total annihilation of video games". I love it.

I think it's hilarious that all the reviews are focused on the deflategate portion of it which was like Cartman's dream and his rant pre ass kicking.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/17/south-park-stunning-and-brave-review
^^^^

BULLshit, it just doesn't match what you were hoping it would
From the article:
In fact, "Stunning and Brave" made a lot of very good points for both sides of the PC argument. On the one hand, Matt and Trey finally acknowledged that, after 18 seasons of irreverence, their lexicon could probably use an update.

LOL. What trite. I didn't get that from the episode at all. Guess different people see different things. Did this reviewer even watch the ending?

Is it bad that i'd consider myself a borderline hardcore gamer...and I still have not the slightest inkling of what "GamerGate" is?

Anita Sarkeesian has been caught adding things to game clips to make them look bad. The case in question is adding "You can't run!" whilst chasing a woman in Deus Ex.

The reaction? "No she didn't!"

Is it bad that i'd consider myself a borderline hardcore gamer...and I still have not the slightest inkling of what "GamerGate" is?

You're better off that way... protip... never create a twitter account.

This is what we're dealing with.

"A lot of what Anita says is spurious"
"You can't comment on what a woman's experiences are. Ever"

This demonic shrill pig (Kate Brooks) talks about GamerGate a little after 21:00. It's obvious she hates GG and white males.

She was debating on the topic of offense and free speech. Peter Hitchens was there.

I haven't played any of their games but I went on their Twitter and there's a lot of despairing at the state of gaming and blaming it on the 'we want our COD, video games aren't art' crowd, which I'm not sure even exist in large numbers (outside of children).

The reality is anyone can make a video game and get it on digital distribution sites like Steam. It costs $100 to put your game up on Steam Greenlight. The financial barrier to entry to the indie games scene is $100.

Whilst there are some convention flouting games I've loved (Papers Please, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, The Stanley Parable, fucking DARK SOULS), all game makers are owed is the chance to make their own artistic vision, they are not owed financial success.

Yup - And the butthurt in their final blog entry is "extreme rustlemania'.

And the sun sets

Who the hell is Kate Brooks? I don't know why they even let her go on. She didn't make any real arguments and only defended herself by rudely shutting people down before they could say anything. BTW why don't you go spend time in Afghanistan and then tell everyone we should respect everything without criticizing it. They sure as hell aren't about to respect or listen to you fat ass.

I don't understand why artists who don't pursue commercial success get upset when they don't attain commercial success.

If they wanted money, they should've made COD. Every knows which sorts of games make bank. But they wanted to make a subdued game that included different social perspectives or whatever. It sounds like they achieved that. What are they upset about? Money isn't a reward for hard work or even brilliance--the smartest, most productive members of humanity aren't billionaires--money is the result of doing something for which people want to pay money. It's that simple.

My brother was telling me about sunset and how it's cool that a game has a black lady protagonist. I was like, "Cool, what's it about?" Then he talked about how it's a first person narrative, and I was like, "Cool, how's the gameplay?" Then he went on and on and I realized it was a game that was all gimmick, no substance. I hope they rebound from this and learn something to help their next project.

Edit: Just read their blog post. It sounds like they actually did try to make a commercial game. But they did it from a "here, plebians, we need money," rather than a joyous place, celebrating what the masses love. They made something that they and their small, like-minded niche would love. Sounds like they got what they wanted. Seems like all they need to do it cut down operating costs since they now know they have a very small fanbase.

Last edited:
Fun fact, replying to a feminists tweet is "interrupting"

"A woman with a feather duster, given 1 hour to make things tidy and make a difference." :eek:

So, an interesting caveat

Izzy Galvez got LeoPirate suspended from twitter for "Harassment", and as it turns out, on of the people who favourited/retweeted the post was an actual paedophile named "Max", whose twitter profile actually says that he is.

So, either something is amiss, or it really is "Edgy"

It's already won for the most part, IGN et al have installed proper codes of ethics, the illiberal sites like Polygon have virtually no influence, and game devs feel comfortable in openly mocking SJWs that try to bully and shame them.

Who the hell is Kate Brooks? I don't know why they even let her go on. She didn't make any real arguments and only defended herself by rudely shutting people down before they could say anything. BTW why don't you go spend time in Afghanistan and then tell everyone we should respect everything without criticizing it. They sure as hell aren't about to respect or listen to you fat ass.

It is rather bizarre that she is there. Most of the people have some kind of distinguished background like being a journalist, lawyer or academic and then there is Kate Brooks who is just fat and obnoxious. It is incredible how these professional victims can weasel their way into almost anything.

It's already won for the most part, IGN et al have installed proper codes of ethics, the illiberal sites like Polygon have virtually no influence, and game devs feel comfortable in openly mocking SJWs that try to bully and shame them.

Excuse my ignorance, is this all about like..game reviewers giving better reviews for money and stuff?

This is hilarious. Classic feminazi bile shut down point by point.

This demonic shrill pig (Kate Brooks) talks about GamerGate a little after 21:00. It's obvious she hates GG and white males.

Excuse my ignorance, is this all about like..game reviewers giving better reviews for money and stuff?

My understanding is some female game developer was blowing a bunch of game reviewers and getting dat acclaim, got exposed by her boyfriend, people took exception, then feminists started on the misogyny bit

I'd look for the last thread about this, v5, I think. The first post has information on what GamerGate is.

http://www.manamonger.com/#!The-Gam...thics-Warriors/c1fyn/55e48c820cf2c1d1fd656216

thoughts?
I think once you weed out the flames and the sarcasm, he's pretty on point.

So, they want to move away from fucking with the SJWs? Fuck that, that's the main thing I support, the ethics in game journalism is an accompaniment to that. But I don't have anything to do with anything game journalists put out, so it doesn't really affect me.

I see a game, think "Hey, what's that, I like the look of that" and look at videos and whatnot.

My issue has been, and always will be, Social Justice censorship. I'm seeing that shit trying to force its way into Stand Up Comedy, and when they come near me, I'm gonna beat them with a stick. SJW "Comedians" are fucking horrendous, and ironically enough, can't defend themselves when you throw some jokes at them.

What really set things off was this article, plus the dozen or so articles that came out at the same time all with the same message (but there's totally no agenda or collusion in the games press)

Again as with the 'sex for coverage' thing this involved a woman at the centre of it, so the obvious play to deflect was 'zomg misogyny'.

That's why there are two separate groups of people with a completely different answer to what gamergate is.

If you want to stop censorship and the p.c. police- fight for that. If you want to fight for journalistic integrity and the like, and against groups, individuals, or corporations buying off people and publications- fight for that. If you think that extreme ultra leftists are gaining power and want to stop them- fight them. I don't think Gamer Gate is about one of these things in particular anymore, it started out one way, but has morphed into something else, but all of these issues have merit to people, so choose your passion or choose multiple ones.

Just fight for what you believe in, fight for what's right, but don't become what you hate, don't give in to "the dark side" for your fight (which is exactly what happened to the Nyberg supporters; and even some GG'ers have looked the other way on deplorable behavior from some 'Chan'ers because they are helping them). There's a stark difference between thinking someone that has done or said some bad things has also said some things you think have merit, and flat out supporting them. In the Nyberg case he/she admitted to these things; unlike say Cosby who at the least (best?) one can say that you are not supporting him but also not condemning him until you are sure of his guilt, even with all of the accusations. Just as easily one can also condemn him, but say that despite what he seems to have done you agree with some of his stances unrelated to what he is accused of. When people on chats or message boards have starkly and in plain sight said terrible things though, don't defend it because they are on your side, don't look the other way either; that goes for both sides. When someone linked to a guy on 8Chan on the original thread, I saw the board and was pretty disgusted at things, like some pretty blatant bigotry against Jewish peoples. Then there's that Thunderfoot guy that comes across like a jilted ex-lover. I can't support such things. Attack the argument, attack the principles of the people involved and their integrity or lack thereof, but at least do your best to not let your base emotions get the better of you.

If you want to stop censorship and the p.c. police- fight for that. If you want to fight for journalistic integrity and the like, and against groups, individuals, or corporations buying off people and publications- fight for that. If you think that extreme ultra leftists are gaining power and want to stop them- fight them. I don't think Gamer Gate is about one of these things in particular anymore, it started out one way, but has morphed into something else, but all of these issues have merit to people, so choose your passion or choose multiple ones.

Just fight for what you believe in, fight for what's right, but don't become what you hate, don't give in to "the dark side" for your fight (which is exactly what happened to the Nyberg supporters; and even some GG'ers have looked the other way on deplorable behavior from some 'Chan'ers because they are helping them). There's a stark difference between thinking someone that has done or said some bad things has also said some things you think have merit, and flat out supporting them. In the Nyberg case he/she admitted to these things; unlike say Cosby who at the least (best?) one can say that you are not supporting him but also not condemning him until you are sure of his guilt, even with all of the accusations. Just as easily one can also condemn him, but say that despite what he seems to have done you agree with some of his stances unrelated to what he is accused of. When people on chats or message boards have starkly and in plain sight said terrible things though, don't defend it because they are on your side, don't look the other way either; that goes for both sides. When someone linked to a guy on 8Chan on the original thread, I saw the board and was pretty disgusted at things, like some pretty blatant bigotry against Jewish peoples. Then there's that Thunderfoot guy that comes across like a jilted ex-lover. I can't support such things. Attack the argument, attack the principles of the people involved and their integrity or lack thereof, but at least do your best to not let your base emotions get the better of you.

Yeah, take the aforementioned Graham Linehan, he's only defending Nyberg because of the side of the fence that Nyberg stands on. Considering he has spoken out against paedophiles, and even had a hand in writing a show that poked fun at paedophiles and the outrage around it, it's amazing that he of all people would come out and say "Hey, I support this person! EVERYONE who is fighting against corrupt journalism or Social Justice Warriors in video games are the actual paedophiles!"

And yet, he's standing on the very side with the same people who criticise his work for being sexist, racist, transphobic, ableist, homophobic and all the other shit that they cry about.

This whole thing has introduced me to a whole new world of absolutely horrible people.

Somewhat related, but Seinfeld came out saying that he won't perform at colleges because they're too politically correct. If Seinfeld is too edgy for you, you really, really need to be introspective about your life.

So of course, some special snowflake SJW took Seinfeld to task.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/antho...tcally-correct-college-student_b_7540878.html

Think about that for a second. A non-comedian lecturing Jerry Seinfeld about comedy, a man who has done the damn near impossible and has made millions of dollars from comedy. THAT is basically the SJW movement encapsulated, and there's basically perfect shared variance between anti-GG and the PC police. I personally have never liked Seinfeld's comedy. It was too bland for my tastes. So that makes me think that if Jerry fucking Seinfeld is too much for this generation, then we really are raising a generation of pussies. I just hope the people offended by raunchy comedy stays in a minority.

How anyone could be a comedian and claim to be whatever SJW derivative label best fits them is doublethink at its finest. Eventually the special snowflake/Tumblr movement and comedians are going to go head to head. They already drove one of their own away.

Personally, i find it to be quite gratifying that #gamergate is dying. Not because of its opposition, mind you, but because its people is morphing into their own version of Social Justice Warriors. Am i sad? Yeah. But i have next to none allegiance to this anymore, and it is something that i foresee and predicted long time ago. What we have here is a bunch of sheeps that pretend to be thinkers when in reality they are nothing more than just a bunch of followers, blindly following whoever say the words that please them (as seen in the manamonger posts), and the "leaders" that they erected is guiding them toward oblivion. In theory, letting people choose their fight is alright....until we have a bunch of people who wants to subvert it and cast out those who do not conform to their views (ie the Journalistic Ethics Warriors) for the sake of appealing to "PR" and "moderates". And guess what? The plague had spreaded and now it is everywhere.

A game by SJWs, for SJWs, heavily advertised on SJW websites crashes and burns and the developer has a predictable meltdown vowing to help with the "total annihilation of video games". I love it.

It's hilarious isn't it? Such a childish reaction

Could please someone explain GamerGate to a layman?

The cliffs, all the key players, notable events, etc.

Much thanks

My understanding is some female game developer was blowing a bunch of game reviewers and getting dat acclaim, got exposed by her boyfriend, people took exception, then feminists started on the misogyny bit

See, this sentence summed it up better and simpler than i've seen lol

I've skimmed over stuff and I had gathered in total... female game reviewer, feminists, and shady game review practices. Never knew how it all fit together, now I do.

thanks

Could please someone explain GamerGate to a layman?

The cliffs, all the key players, notable events, etc.

Much thanks

From earlier in the thread:

I'm not really au fait with it all.

But, from what I can see, it started a with a story about Zoe Quinn shagging a bunch of video game journalists to get coverage for her game (Depression Quest) getting revealed by her ex-boyfriend. Which lead to gamers getting pissed off because they're not carrying any journalistic integrity.

So gamers then said "Fuck you guys, tell the truth", and they said to Zoe Quinn "Fuck you too, you slag".

As for the "sexism" thing, again, from what I've seen outside of one sided arguments, it's not really about that, people seemingly welcome women into the industry with open arms.

However, it turned to sexism when Anita Sarkeesian and Jonathan Mcintosh stuck their collective oar in with "That's sexist, that's sexist, all this is sexist, and you're sexist too!" to which people said "Fuck off, Anita" which then became "Ahhhh, you're harrassing me! These are GamerGaters!" Which the gaming journalists, who were already under attack because of the Zoe Quinn thing then glaumed onto that and said "See, you're sexist, gamers are sexist"

Sarkeesian and McIntosh ran with it, because they could get more money out of it, ran to the press and said "See, GamerGate is harrassing me, I'm just sharing my opinion... an incendiary, poorly researched, out of context, and sometimes even outright lying, usually to provoke them into respoding to me... but still, I'm a Damsel in Distress... no, it's not sexist if I say I am, it's only sexist if YOU say I am!".

1c6f92edb94e4aefb96d9c4302226c3f.jpg

Like I said though, I'm not au fait on it, so I'm probably dead wrong.

Wu and Sarkeesian were featured on John Oliver's segment about Online Harassment against Women. As Event Status already pointed out, Online Harassment is a social issue not just a women's issue.

What is with all of these British liberals coming to the United States and creating shows criticizing America?

About the vid above, Brianna is claiming she was heavily consulted for that segment.

I haven't watched it yet, but from what I've gathered, other than using Anita and Wu as examples, and ignoring harassment against (white) males, it was an otherwise good segment.

Also, I think it has a lot of dislikes

South Park hit another home run with that episode.

"Do they serve booze at these meetings Randy?!"
"They.... they... they serve... refreshments, yes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back