Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Sebastian isn’t an Intel fanboy like you AMD fanboys try to claim.
I’ve been watching him since the NCIX days and he has always recommended you get the best your money can get no matter if it’s AMD, Intel, Nvidia, etc.
That's the point I was making sorry you did not understand my comment. You know how many AMD boxes I am running right now?

Zero that's right zero. Go troll somewhere else.

Last edited:
Linus isn't an "fanboy". He's simply has a rationally established, strong preference for Intel, and has for as long as they've been a clear leader. The author of this article doesn't call him (or Linus Torvald) a fanboy, either. He merely highlights Linus's long-held personal preference for Intel which is evident in his choice for his personal machines (his home desktop, his personal office desktop, his laptop). The author only refers to himself as an AMD fanboy.

o
That's the point I was making sorry you did not understand my comment. You know how many AMD boxes I am running right now?

Zero that's right zero. Go troll somewhere else.

I'm not trolling. The AMD fan boys, like yourself, accuse every tech reviewer of being Intel or Nvidia schills whenever someone says anything even close to criticizing AMD.
Remember that bullshit not long ago where AMD fan boys were crying and calling reviewers like GamersNexus Nvidia schills because there was Nvidia boxes on the shelf behind them during an AMD video card review. A box.

I'm not trolling. The AMD fan boys, like yourself, accuse every tech reviewer of being Intel or Nvidia schills whenever someone says anything even close to criticizing AMD.
Remember that bullshit not long ago where AMD fan boys were crying and calling reviewers like GamersNexus Nvidia schills because there was Nvidia boxes on the shelf behind them during an AMD video card review. A box.

Relax troller I was pointing out AMD in 2016 because I knew they where going to come back. They have a massive IP and rehired top guys like Jim. Stop insinuating stuff you do not know. I don't even run AMD GPU's because of Nvidia continued superior performance though comes with a price.

Relax troller I was pointing out AMD in 2016 because I knew they where going to come back. They have a massive IP and rehired top guys like Jim. Stop insinuating stuff you do not know. I don't even run AMD GPU's because of Nvidia continued superior performance though comes with a price.
Don't try to back track now bud. You have a history on here of being an AMD fan boy.
And i love how you call anyone that points out your fanboyism a troll.

Don't try to back track now bud. You have a history on here of being an AMD fan boy.
And i love how you call anyone that points out your fanboyism a troll.

Admit it you've been triggered worse then Brackus about Musk LOL.

200.gif

As you'll see the commenters note, this is one of the finest RX 5700 XT cards made; though it's not the "best overall", and this is why you have to be skeptical of Reddit advice. For $370 this would be a fine deal for the entry level cards (it's $10 below the current cheapest option, and $20-$40 below the average cheapest option over the past few months). 5700 XT cards of this caliber are almost never cheaper than $440; examples are the Gigabyte AORUS, Sapphire Nitro options, and Asus Strix Gaming OC. The only significant feature it's missing that the most premium cards carry is the Quiet BIOS mode and Dual BIOS support.

Last edited:

As you'll see the commenters note, this is one of the finest RX 5700 XT cards made; though it's not the "best overall", and this is why you have to be skeptical of Reddit advice. For $370 this would be a fine deal for the entry level cards (it's $10 below the current cheapest option, and $20-$40 below the average cheapest option over the past few months). 5700 XT cards of this caliber are almost never cheaper than $440; examples are the Gigabyte AORUS, Sapphire Nitro options, and Asus Strix Gaming OC. The only significant feature it's missing that the most premium cards carry is the Quiet BIOS mode.

I still wouldn't buy a 5700xt at this point. There's still way to many people having driver issues.
And as I've posted before the 5700xt is going to be missing out on upcoming features like DX12 Ultimate, DLSS 2.0, etc. Either buy Nvidia or wait.

I'm in the market for a GPU and I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm out on a 5700XT and going to go with a 2070 instead. I've seen many say the drivers are resolved but then I see just as many saying they're not. I just don't want the headache after spending $400. Might even get a little crazy and bump it up to a 2070S

GPU War: NVIDIA vs. AMD
As with every purchase choice, the best answer is that it depends.
*Nov-7-2020 Update*
Keep in mind this post is only relevant for a comparison of the NVIDIA RTX 2000 series vs. AMD RX 5000 series, specifically the RTX 2060 Super vs. RX 5700 XT which prompted its creation, but I've updated relevant facts like supported DLSS 2.0 or DX12 game lists.

RAW GAMING PERFORMANCE
Okay, let's first remind ourselves of raw gaming performance. At stock, the RX 5700 XT is 10%-11% superior in games.
$400 GPU King: Radeon RX 5700 XT vs. GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Cost.png

1440p.png
That's right now. Keep in mind the RX 5700 XT also has a much larger 34% TFLOPS advantage, and this superior raw processing power is why AMD GPUs have aged like fine wine in the past. I wrote more extensively about that here:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/160634769/

DRIVER STABILITY

This isn't for Navi, but anecdotally across user forums, and in the test cited below run by an independent lab over two years ago, paid for by AMD, AMD's drivers had surpassed NVIDIA in driver stability at that point:
AMD Radeon GPUs outperform Nvidia cards over 288 hours of stability stress testing (July 16, 2018)
Radeon Clobbers GeForce In AMD-Commissioned Audit Of Driver Stability

PCCN said:
Independent tests have shown that AMD have the most stable drivers in direct comparison with equivalent Nvidia drivers. It’s been something of a battle for AMD over the years to ditch the poor reputation of its graphics card software, but with the latest results giving a head-to-head result against the competition that gives it some solid evidence to fight against the anecdotal experience of yesteryear.

In the stringent tests, where 12 gaming and workstation GPUs, six from AMD and six from Nvidia, were each put through 288 hours of non-stop stress testing, the Radeon cards achieved a pass rate of 93% while the GeForce GPUs only managed to garner a score of 82%
Fast forward. More recently and relevant to this matchup, per Navi's issues, I suspect the research by Hardware Unboxed is what is being referenced (Gamers Nexus and others followed suit).

Indeed, the first poll they ran, with 64K responses, showed 48% of AMD owners vs. 22% of NVIDIA owners testifying they had experienced serious driver issues. However, that was before the major 20.20.2 update released specifically to address those issues, discussed in Hardware Unboxed's follow-up video, with AMD estimating 90% of issues would be resolved. As he noted, on Reddit, the vast majority of responses indicated this was true, and the issues were resolved. In a follow-up poll specifically for this driver update, wherein AMD Navi RX owners were isolated, only 20% of them responded they still had issues: lower than the original NVIDIA figure.
February 13, 2020

Follow-up
March 5, 2020

AMD 20.20.2 Reddit Thread

SOFTWARE & ADVANCED FEATURES

RTX Voice is certainly amazing, but that will matter most to gamers who stream in noisy environments, and less so (but still) to gamers who communicate heavily in noisy environments. It's definitely a feather in NVIDIA's cap. Gamers who don't use comms won't care.

DLSS 2.0 has also proven to be spectacular for performance increases, and sometimes even graphical improvements thanks to superior anti-aliasing rendering, but it's still a niche. It was launched on March 23, 2020, and there's still only 15 games that support it. This would be like making a hardware decision based on Vulkan support. After all, DLSS prior to the version 2.0 update was lampooned across the web in memes for its terrible blurriness, and it isn't worth turning on. So there are 15 games (with 3 more upcoming) right now where DLSS gives NVIDIA cards a framerate advantage. Whoopdy-doo.

I've seen 2.0 bring up to 40% fps improvement in some games without any loss in image quality, so it's impressive. If you play one of these games as your main squeeze, sure, go with NVIDIA. Of course games might add support in the future, while future AAA games are more likely to support it, but otherwise, that 10% gaming performance (& 36% raw TFLOP horsepower) advantage across some 70K+ historical PC games wins the day for the RX 5700 XT, hands down.
DLSS 2.0 Support

Released

1. Anthem
  2. Battlefield V
  3. Bright Memory
  4. Control
  5. Death Stranding
  6. Deliver Us The Moon
  7. F1 2020
  8. Final Fantasy XV
  9. Fortnite
  10. Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
  11. Metro Exodus
  12. Minecraft
  13. Monster Hunter: World
  14. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  15. Wolfenstein : Youngblood
Upcoming
  1. Call of Duty: Black ops – Cold War
  2. Cyberpunk 2077
  3. Enlisted

RTX Ray-Tracing: One should consider ray-tracing as a factor in his purchase decision with the same strategy. Same issue as above. Only 19 games currently support it. If your main squeeze supports it, sure, it's great, but even then, one has to consider whether the RTX 2060 Super has the juice to run the game at a playable framerate for the setting one desires with ray-tracing turned on. Reference benchmarks. This was a major criticism of the RTX 2060 when the RTX line debuted. Because otherwise, again, this is an impractical, theoretical victory that means nothing.
Here are all the games that support Nvidia’s RTX ray tracing (Oct-23, 2020)
Available
  1. Amid Evil
  2. Battlefield V
  3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  4. Control
  5. Doom Eternal
  6. Deliver Us the Moon
  7. F.I.S.T.
  8. Justice Online
  9. JX3
  10. Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries
  11. Metro Exodus (+ The Two Colonels DLC)
  12. Minecraft
  13. Moonlight Blade
  14. Quake II RTX
  15. Ring of Elysium
  16. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  17. Watch Dogs: Legion
  18. Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  19. Xuan-Yuan Sword VII
Upcoming
  1. Atomic Heart
  2. Bright Memory: Infinite
  3. Boundary
  4. Convallaria
  5. Cyberpunk 2077
  6. Dying Light 2
  7. Enlisted
  8. Grimstar
  9. ProjectDH
  10. Project X (2021)
  11. Sword and Fairy 7
  12. Synced: Off Planet
  13. Vampire: The Masquerade-- Bloodlines 2
  14. World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

DX12 Ultimate
Finally, the RX 5000 series cards support DX12, but not DX12 Ultimate (which includes DXR aka DirectX Ray-Tracing). The new consoles may DX12 itself was launched in July, 2015, and well over five years later, here's the entire, pitiful list of 100 games supported by it:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_DirectX_12_games

Meanwhile, it doesn't even improve performance in some of these games in 2020. Fortnite yields a few percent improvement, but at the cost of greater microstuttering, and with no added graphical features. Microsoft boasts the primary advantage of DX12 is ~10% improvement during the most demanding sequences with relief most likely to benefit lower-end CPUs:

The upside for NVIDIA here is that the latest consoles (ironically AMD-powered) both support DX12 Ultimate and ray-tracing, so support from games should accelerate going forward, but the flipside is that DX12U games will still run on DX12 GPUs that don't support the full suite of DX12U features, namely ray-tracing, so the AMD RX 5000 series GPUs will receive all the benefits of DX12U their hardware can accommodate.

Conclusion
There are certainly a lot of reasons to advocate for NVIDIA GPUs. Driver stability isn't one of them, or at least isn't substantiated to be one, presently. Anecdote is neutralized by contradictory anecdote. Otherwise, it always comes down to what you're getting for the money. A high-end, triple-fan, brand new RX 5700 XT with exceptional reviews from Newegg for $370 is a very attractive purchase.

*Edit* Fixed the list of DLSS games. I'd erroneously included games added to GeForce Now's service (which offers DLSS for supported titles on the service) at the same times as DLSS 2.0 support.

Last edited:
Yes, the 5700xt is great today but with those new technologies getting implemented more and more it's going to fall behind because it lacks those features meanwhile the current Nvidia cards support those features already.

I'm in the market for a GPU and I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm out on a 5700XT and going to go with a 2070 instead. I've seen many say the drivers are resolved but then I see just as many saying they're not. I just don't want the headache after spending $400. Might even get a little crazy and bump it up to a 2070S

Can you hold out for awhile longer? Both companies are supposed to be launching new cards in September. And if the rumored performance numbers are to be believed, this is going to be the first massive jump in performance we've had in a long time.
Personally if I was in the market for a new card, I'd wait.

Personally if I was in the market for a new card, I'd wait.

this.

it's somewhat subjective, but i'd wait til the new lineups are out, especially since it's supposed to be just a few months away.

Do we think those announcements are still on track with this whole pandemic thing going on? I'm not in a rush to buy anything unless a juicy deal pops up.

Do we think those announcements are still on track with this whole pandemic thing going on? I'm not in a rush to buy anything unless a juicy deal pops up.
The rumor that the new GPUs would launch in September just broke in the past week.

However, typically, it can be very difficult to procure a card in the first few months, they sell out so quick, and normally NVIDIA (since that appears to be your preference) only launches a single card. We expect this one to be the RTX 3080-- or whatever they choose to call it. Then the RTX 3070 usually launches a month or two later. The RTX 2080 launched at a price of $799, and prices have only gone up with NVIDIA for the past several generations, so one would expect it to be this expensive, or more expensive.

Meanwhile, on the AMD side, they usually launch a few cards, the competitors to these two, but I would definitely discourage buying a brand new AMD card at launch. They tend to have more driver issues at launch, and take longer to iron out kinks. They've been doing a better job with this over the past few years, as you can see, but they just don't have the army NVIDIA has for software support, so their value is over the long haul.

So if you're after the RTX 3070, for example, don't count on being able to actually have one in your hands before November, or possibly even December. Any sooner than that is blind optimism. Hell, even presuming you can get one before the end of the year is speculative, at this point.

but also, the current GPUs should be substantially cheaper.

so you can get one of the new ones... or can likely get the 2070 (or whatever) for substantially less...

decided to replace my recently deceased N52 gamepad, and new ones are 75 bucks. Fucking Razer bought them out, and jacked the price sky high to slap their logo on them. Fucking bullshit.

Edit: AHAHAHAHAHA! people actually have the balls to say Razer came up with the design to boot. Fuck you assholes, Belkin perfected that design before Razer could even try. Razer couldn't design their way out of a wet paper sack, let alone something as great as the N52.

Last edited:
decided to replace my recently deceased N52 gamepad, and new ones are 75 bucks. Fucking Razer bought them out, and jacked the price sky high to slap their logo on them. Fucking bullshit.

Edit: AHAHAHAHAHA! people actually have the balls to say Razer came up with the design to boot. Fuck you assholes, Belkin perfected that design before Razer could even try. Razer couldn't design their way out of a wet paper sack, let alone something as great as the N52.

But it has RGB.

Back