Gen Z don't want blue collar work

It's bait my man. Gen-Z as a whole don't look down on this type of work, the young man in the video was actually saying it simply wasn't something he could see himself doing (he was an electrician for 3 years). He was making an argument that people should make money doing what they enjoy, but Dr. Phillip wanted to frame things in a way that seemed more black and white. It's no mistake he chose an online business owner and a chick with an obvious princess complex.

I will state however, that many admins in public education DO look down on the trades as they mostly come from privileged, wealthy families. It does trickle down to some students but mainly through ignorance. "Go to college or you'll be chucking boxes for Amazon" type of stuff.

yeah the boy didn't seem too bad. he just seemed like he wanted more for his life after looking at how miserable his co-workers were with their broken bodies and terrible pay. the girl is on another level though lmao

It's bait my man. Gen-Z as a whole don't look down on this type of work, the young man in the video was actually saying it simply wasn't something he could see himself doing (he was an electrician for 3 years). He was making an argument that people should make money doing what they enjoy, but Dr. Phillip wanted to frame things in a way that seemed more black and white. It's no mistake he chose an online business owner and a chick with an obvious princess complex.

I will state however, that many admins in public education DO look down on the trades as they mostly come from privileged, wealthy families. It does trickle down to some students but mainly through ignorance. "Go to college or you'll be chucking boxes for Amazon" type of stuff.
Its pretty obviously playing to aging right wingers pushing the idea that nobody wants to do blue collar work when the reality is blue collar work is much less likely to lead to the same standard of living today than it did in the mid 20th century.

Its pretty obviously playing to aging right wingers pushing the idea that nobody wants to do blue collar work when the reality is blue collar work is much less likely to lead to the same standard of living today than it did in the mid 20th century.
Blue collar jobs tend to pay much better and it’s less competitive

"Eat bitterness!" - Xi Jinping telling college graduates to go to the countryside and do real work

Exactly. I’d like to see some data showing that Gen Z doesn’t want to work blue collar jobs before I go on assuming I know why they don’t want to work blue collar jobs.

Because, when you’re my age, you’ve heard all this shit before about every generation including your own.

Dr. Phil is hardly an authority on this. And he should know better than to just assume that Gen Z doesn’t want to work blue collar without data to back that up. And by data I mean more than just “They’re having a hard time filling these positions as boomers retire.”

Yeah, because there are (were) a lot more boomers than there are anyone else. That’s why they’re called baby boomers. Because it was a fucking baby boom. Meaning tons of people born.

These psych PhDs need to learn how to stay in their lane.

Getting an MBA is over a quarter million haha
No it's not. I mean I guess it can be, but that's certainly not the baseline expense for an MBA.

it shouldn’t be. this line of thinking is fucking stupid.
What's stupid about it? Do you think everyone should get expensive specialized job training for jobs they don't have?

You're right about that, in the opposite way you think. Houses were like 1200 sq ft for a whole family, 1/3 of houses didn't even have a telephone, and the ones that did were rented rotary phones with a shared line, very few had appliances, they had 1 shitbox station wagon with no safety features, most houses just had a radio, and the 9% that did have a TV were a 10" black and white hunks of crap with 2 channels, eating out was luxury, very few had ever flown on an airplane.

A tradesman today has every appliance, a bigger house, a cell phone with internet, nicer car, big screen TV and ipad with unlimited entertainment, they probably eat out 6 nights/week or pull out their cell phone and have some bum drop off burgers and wings on their porch, any consumer product you want can be delivered within 2 days by pushing a button.

Exactly. I’d like to see some data showing that Gen Z doesn’t want to work blue collar jobs before I go on assuming I know why they don’t want to work blue collar jobs.

Because, when you’re my age, you’ve heard all this shit before about every generation including your own.

Dr. Phil is hardly an authority on this. And he should know better than to just assume that Gen Z doesn’t want to work blue collar without data to back that up. And by data I mean more than just “They’re having a hard time filling these positions as boomers retire.”

Yeah, because there are (were) a lot more boomers than there are anyone else. That’s why they’re called baby boomers. Because it was a fucking baby boom. Meaning tons of people born.

These psych PhDs need to learn how to stay in their lane.

even if there was data showing that Gen Z has less blue collar job workers, that doesn't address that if you can't live on a blue collar job's wage then people aren't going to work it. people will just assume it's because Gen Z is lazy and not because those jobs might be unviable in this day and age.

No it's not. I mean I guess it can be, but that's certainly not the baseline expense for an MBA.

What's stupid about it? Do you think everyone should get expensive specialized job training for jobs they don't have?

You're right about that, in the opposite way you think. Houses were like 1200 sq ft for a whole family, 1/3 of houses didn't even have a telephone, and the ones that did were rented rotary phones with a shared line, very few had appliances, they had 1 shitbox station wagon with no safety features, most houses just had a radio, and the 9% that did have a TV were a 10" black and white hunks of crap with 2 channels, eating out was luxury, very few had ever flown on an airplane.

A tradesman today has every appliance, a bigger house, a cell phone with internet, nicer car, big screen TV and ipad with unlimited entertainment, they probably eat out 6 nights/week or pull out their cell phone and have some bum drop off burgers and wings on their porch, any consumer product you want can be delivered within 2 days by pushing a button.
king of the shittest takes on sherdog strikes again

I got a couple of gen-Z guys working for me and they’re both great tbh.

One cold called me and explained how he wanted to get into the trades so I got him to send a resume. I called his reference from a landscaping job and he talked him up so I hired him. Dude has been an allstar and learns super fast. He’s almost ready to become a journeyman at 22 and is like a sponge.

The other is still a greener apprentice but is also a fast learner, an eager hand and a really likeable guy. He finished a pre employment course and I know the teacher. I inquired about some apprentices and he gave me this guys name.

I see other younger guys in the trades too. It’s not a surprising sight. I think many are useless but you have that in every generation. I think more than ever, gen Z has to work harder to get by and although it’s a small sample size, I’ve had good luck with them.

king of the shittest takes on sherdog strikes again
So no answer, just another emotional outburst from the exact kind of spoiled child the thread is about? Shocker! You have an IQ of like 70, and should consider yourself lucky if anyone hires you to clean their gutters instead of crying like a bitch that everybody isn't paying your bills for you. Grow up, loser, and start taking care of yourself instead of being a drain on everyone else.

Gen z grew up seeing their parents come
Home physically busted and exhausted from blue collar work. Parents who complain about work, their boss, etc.

They see their hands shake, arthritis take hold, joints give out. A body given to masonry, carpentry, flooring, framing, roofing, factories, mills and mines.

Can’t say I blame them for forging their own path.

They don't realize union tradesmen in major cities made more money with much better benefits thsn most white collar jobs.

Young people don't want to work anymore!!!!

Never heard that said in human history before. Certainly never without empirical evidence.

When you start saying this stuff you should resign yourself to being the old and bitter stereotype.

even if there was data showing that Gen Z has less blue collar job workers, that doesn't address that if you can't live on a blue collar job's wage then people aren't going to work it. people will just assume it's because Gen Z is lazy and not because those jobs might be unviable in this day and age.
Exactly. Which is why any data would need to control for such things. And do you know who does that? Economists. Not psychologists.

So no answer, just another emotional outburst from the exact kind of spoiled child the thread is about? Shocker! You have an IQ of like 70, and should consider yourself lucky if anyone hires you to clean their gutters instead of crying like a bitch that everybody isn't paying your bills for you. Grow up, loser, and start taking care of yourself instead of being a drain on everyone else.
meow. tell us how you really feel, bucko

Back