Georges St Pierre vs BJ Penn II January 31 2009

Rest in pieces Positivebalance

I remember so many things from the actual event and lead up to UFC 94:

- That being the first UFC Prime Time (before that was usually UFC Countdown)

- Positive Balance kept bumping GSP vs BJ thread over and over again for months leading up to the fight, causing serious friction between GSP and BJ fans

- GSP jokingly admitting to hire a man to kiss BJ when Penn was walking out to the octagon

- BJ was pissed at the Prime Time team for portraying him as a bad guy and GSP the good guy and wanted to stop the filming process

- Dana being an attention whore made an appearance in the series acting like he's chasing BJ to train and stop being lazy, Penn's camp were like wtf it's not your business how we train

- BJ initially planned to retire on a win against GSP, the loss actually kept his career going

- "If Georges thought Jon Fitch was the terminator because he wouldn't quit, he's gonna think I'm god"

- BJ doing that running while carrying a rock underwater thing

- At the time the Serra loss was still fresh on GSP haters mind that they all questioned his chin, Penn fans were high on BJ's supposed KO power

- The famous words spoken by Alves right after GSP beat Penn "I think I deserve the Shitle Tot"

Great post for the MMA forgotten stories thread
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/mma-forgotten-stories-thread.3880899/page-11

Penn beat the bigger wrestler in Hughes when they first fought so this was never a factor for me. Its just that GSP is better than Hughes and Penn,thats the deal
good. well volkovnoski should've challenged khabib

good. well volkovnoski should've challenged khabib
I don't say anyone should have done anything.

Bj wanted to fight at 170 because there were bigger fights,more motivating fights to have. 155 wasn't as developed yet. He showed that skill wise it translated. It was really just his cardio and will to win when the going got tough that was the problem. Bj has the right skills you want to have to move up. Good chin,heavy hands,awesome tdd. It's just that gsp had gotten better and bj remained the same. It was still worth taking the fight. Volkanovski's technical style I don't think would translate at a higher weight.

Was a heavy BJ fan but I knew he was too small for 170. But the fight did give us the hilarious greasegate drama so I ain't even mad
2cftg0m.gif

A fantastic take that will no doubt light a fire under GSP nuthuggers.

It should be considered an embarassment that the first fight alone was so close between a jacked, ripped 170lber and a natural 145lber and the same goes for Matt Huges losing to BJ.

This is the reason I don't drool over Jones like the entire MMA community does, I expect a half decent guy with a ridiculous size advantage to beat the shit out of midgets, it should be a given unless your name is Struve of course.

They don't want the truth

Gsp and Hughes were much bigger than bj with lean mass and of course I agree with jones

BJ gets a bit overrated but he had a set of balls on him, GSP wanted nothing to do with likes of Silva.

They should be 1-1 as BJ won the 1st fight but was robbed

I would’ve favored BJ in the trilogy also
ROFL at this delusional post; some sort of irony or sarcasm hopefully.

I figured wth GSP's improvements he would win handily in that fight, which he obviously did. It was painfully obvious BJ hadn't improved nearly as much after their first fight.

BJ should have been more motivated, then PB would never have ended up in such a dismaying downfall.

3241656041_125d5dc021_b.jpg

At the time it was one of the biggest fights in UFC history,between two of the most skilled fighers in mma history in their athletic prime. A great storyline leads into this one. Unfinished business between the two. What side were you on? What did you think of going into it,and what did you feel about the result?
Saw this one live, so good watching a concussed bj stumble out of the cage

3241656041_125d5dc021_b.jpg

At the time it was one of the biggest fights in UFC history,between two of the most skilled fighers in mma history in their athletic prime. A great storyline leads into this one. Unfinished business between the two. What side were you on? What did you think of going into it,and what did you feel about the result?

I felt like this should have been stopped way earlier than it did. BJ looked like a fish on concrete and has literally nothing for GSP.

Reactions: HHJ
They should be 1-1 as BJ won the 1st fight but was robbed

I would’ve favored BJ in the trilogy also
Is this serious
You saw BJ struggle to remain conscious between rounds and you think that guy was going to anything in a third fight?

The Fight Hype for this was unreal.. They launched UFC Primetime for this fight.

Still gives me fucking chills...

Back