Getting back into bjj after long layoff.

Really good advices here. As someone who dealt with a long layoff and has been a White Belt for 12+ years (Due to constant situations of Layoffs and Moving) Just go with the flow and stick with the journey.

Despite my Layoff's, I became a Blue Belt this year in 2023 in April. Keep at it man!!!

Much appreciated. Congrats on the blue belt brother. Keep at it!

Bunch of good advices here
Left for 7 years when I was a purple belt. Completely dipped on physical exercises.

Been back 2 years, got my brown belt .

Some of the stuff will still be muscle memory, some you will miss details that really makes it work, and some stuff you will simply not have it anymore.

Your body won't work the same, and you may injury yourself if you try to force your old style. I went from flowing on top of people to pinning them down.

Find what your body requires of you. Lose the ego. More tapping equals more time on the mat. Be smart who you roll with. Roll more defensively than offensively, once you are safe you move.

(There are moves my mind wants me to do, but my belly gets in the way)

I'm nearing 39, that's what has been working for me. Been injury free for much longer than my younger self.

My body is definitely not working the way that it was. I got tapped today from a north/south choke from one of my old sparring partners, lol. He's 10 years younger than me and a Bellator professional fighter, BB in BJJ, my weight class and doesn't work a 9-5, lol. I used to get the better of him but he's such a beast now, lol. No Ego here, ever, lol!

I noticed my 'squeeze' was 'off' when I returned after a long time off. Struggled to get a tap from my triangle and RNC! Not sure if my technique was rusty or just not as 'grapple strong' as I once was. Maybe a combination of the two. Freaked me out a little a bit - especially the RNC - which was sunk in deep - but still didn't have enough 'squeeze' to finish!

Sad story there bud and sounds like you were going through a depression, must be tough.
I would say though that all that hard training isn't for waste, it doesn't go away it becomes muscle memory and it can come back when and if you get back into it, or even just watching video of roles.

I hope so man. Last week I did train 4 days in a row and could already feel some of it coming back!

Been off since Covid shutdowns ... Blue belt in Japanese Jiu-Jitsu..( two away from black , brown then black no purple in JJJ).. 33 years old ..

I should of been a brown belt years ago but i started a family young at 25 years old and i have two kids so i had to do some adulting stuff and took some time off here and there and then when covid hit my gym lost its location and i can no longer train there..

So abit of different situation as ill be returning to Jiu-Jitsu but it will likely be BJJ this time and at new gym... Potentially starting all over again as its a different style then my previous training..

All i can say is im excited to go back but apprehensive about finding a new place i can trust like my first and original gym...

Ive always stayed mentally connected to the Martial art through reading, watching...and practicing at home with my grappling dummy as i prepare to return, ive explored a few gyms earlier this year and i think i know where i want to go for a longer trial...i have never really forgotten or gotten worse when ive taken time off in the past as far as skill but athletically ive been up and down...but ive had more then a few training partners tell me there surprised how much i can still do or that they haven't passed me skill wise even though I've been off sometimes for 6 months here and there and comeback and still submit them or fend them.off...ive been training since i was 16/17 .. no major injuries or injury related breaks...just life/training balance breaks

My advice would be listen to your body and remember why you love it and dont be afraid to lose and learn.. i dont expect to do well when i return i do however expect to learn ALOT and that's exciting

I’m 61. I’m just starting again after 4 years off. I’ve done 3 classes this week. My body aches head to toe. Especially my rib cage. This should pass in a week or so.

I expect it to hurt for a few weeks. If I am too sore to roll, I’ll just leave after the drills. I am trying to relax and listen to my body.

I’m 61. I’m just starting again after 4 years off. I’ve done 3 classes this week. My body aches head to toe. Especially my rib cage. This should pass in a week or so.

I expect it to hurt for a few weeks. If I am too sore to roll, I’ll just leave after the drills. I am trying to relax and listen to my body.

God bless you. That's extremely impressive. Good luck and be safe!

At my old gym we had old man Bob that picked up bjj at 71 to "get out of the house and away from his wife." I left that gym 15 years ago but always wonder what became of Old Man Bob.

Back