Getting back into fitness after a long layoff

Kiss My D’arce

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ive had about 3 miserable gym sessions over the past 5 years, not stepped into the jiujitsu or fighting gym in about 3 years and my only form of fitness is walking (5500 daily step average according to my phone, whatever the fuck that means.) Safe to say my health has went to absolute shit. I can’t think of one time i have EVER enjoyed a workout (apart from rolling), even afterwards I just feel pissed off and sore and never saw results (self-fulfilling prophecy.) But now I am feeling legitimately motivated to feel and look healthy again. I have a weird ‘skinny-fat’ body type where i am tall but with a bit of gut and strong, thick legs, broad shoulders but still feel somewhat frail. Smoker so cardio has always been weak but now really went to shit. Looking to add fitness as a regular part of my lifestyle.

There are so many diets and fads and workout types now that I find it all a bit daunting and suspicious. I have always had an old-school “eat well and lift heavy shit” attitude towards fitness but it’s evidently not served me very well.

How should one approach this after a long lay off? Attitude, activity, where to properly educate myself on these things and what workouts are best fitted for my goals. How to enjoy it more, or just accept that I wont enjoy it.

Looking to shed the excess belly fat, get lean and pack on some good muscle. I understand this takes time and lifelong dedication to maintain, but every story has a beginning and i’m trying to figure out how to start writing it.

Big up

The best workout is the one you actually do. If you've enjoyed rolling in the past, find a BJJ gym in your area and do that. Whatever activity you enjoy that helps you get your sweat on, is your friend.

It sounds like you've had a hate/hate relationship with working out, and there's a feedback loop there. If you never do something, you're going to be terrible at it. And most people don't enjoy things they're terrible at. If you haven't lifted in a long time and are looking to build muscle, I highly recommend a novice powerlifting program like StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength with linear progression. You start with light weight that feels easy, so you don't get sore. But you increase the weight every workout and by the time the weights start to feel heavy, you're respectably strong and taking pride in your progress.

But the key is to stop procrastinating and just do it. Don't overthink it. After a few weeks consistently doing any exercise routine, you're going to look and feel fitter and that should motivate you to keep going and make further improvements.

Last edited:
Consistency is key. I just got back into the gym after 5 years off. On the days that you don't feel going, go. You'll feel much better. And if you're not self motivated person, pick somebody to go with you. It's a process and takes time. Stay strict and disciplined.

Not sure if this is an option for you, but if you work in a place that has a gym, try training on your lunch break. I've never been more consistent than when I started doing that. Rather than workout time coming out of your "free" time, it just feels like part of the workday. And I look forward to the chance to get away from my desk, so I never lack motivation to go.

I hate the gym too TS. I've found that short workouts, with lighter weights and super high intensity is what works the best for me. Just turned 50 in February, and I'm coming up on 5 years back working out again. I went from your typical middle aged Dad bod at 45, to possibly the best shape of my life right now. My workouts are usually under 30 mins, including a warm up.

Ive had about 3 miserable gym sessions over the past 5 years, not stepped into the jiujitsu or fighting gym in about 3 years and my only form of fitness is walking (5500 daily step average according to my phone, whatever the fuck that means.) Safe to say my health has went to absolute shit. I can’t think of one time i have EVER enjoyed a workout (apart from rolling), even afterwards I just feel pissed off and sore and never saw results (self-fulfilling prophecy.) But now I am feeling legitimately motivated to feel and look healthy again. I have a weird ‘skinny-fat’ body type where i am tall but with a bit of gut and strong, thick legs, broad shoulders but still feel somewhat frail. Smoker so cardio has always been weak but now really went to shit. Looking to add fitness as a regular part of my lifestyle.

There are so many diets and fads and workout types now that I find it all a bit daunting and suspicious. I have always had an old-school “eat well and lift heavy shit” attitude towards fitness but it’s evidently not served me very well.

How should one approach this after a long lay off? Attitude, activity, where to properly educate myself on these things and what workouts are best fitted for my goals. How to enjoy it more, or just accept that I wont enjoy it.

Looking to shed the excess belly fat, get lean and pack on some good muscle. I understand this takes time and lifelong dedication to maintain, but every story has a beginning and i’m trying to figure out how to start writing it.

Big up

I can sympathize. I haven't trained since I was diagnosed with cancer last November. Although my treatment is over for the moment, I'm still trying to recover from major surgery. My Oncologist warned it could take nine months to fully recover. The only exercise I get right now is walking and hand-grippers(not at the same time ;)). Any muscle I built back in the good old days has long since atrophied and I'm now skinny-fat.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to start very light indeed and slowly build up. You said that Rolling is the only exercise you enjoy, so find a good BJJ gym and make that the central part of your training. As has already been said, you're more likely to stick to an exercise routine you actually enjoy. Add a couple of days in the gym for basic strength training; there are several beginner routines in the Sticky section. And of course, try to cut down on the smoking.

Good luck.

I can sympathize. I haven't trained since I was diagnosed with cancer last November. Although my treatment is over for the moment, I'm still trying to recover from major surgery. My Oncologist warned it could take nine months to fully recover. The only exercise I get right now is walking and hand-grippers(not at the same time ;)). Any muscle I built back in the good old days has long since atrophied and I'm now skinny-fat.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to start very light indeed and slowly build up. You said that Rolling is the only exercise you enjoy, so find a good BJJ gym and make that the central part of your training. As has already been said, you're more likely to stick to an exercise routine you actually enjoy. Add a couple of days in the gym for basic strength training; there are several beginner routines in the Sticky section. And of course, try to cut down on the smoking.

Good luck.

Thank you for your words and advice man and i sincerely wish you the best regarding your recovery, I’m sure you’ll be back crushing it soon.
Hope you are enjoying tonight’s fights!

The biggest thing is just getting to the gym. Some of my best workouts and biggest PRs have been on my least motivated days where I just barely managed to get my ass in the gym.

I wouldn’t focus too much on diet, just make sure you have a clear goal and you’re eating with that goal in mind.

Play around with programming and exercises/movements, like someone else said in the thread, you don’t need to be at the gym for hours. There’s a lot of science around high intensity training for 30-60 minutes if time is a constraint for you. A lot of bodybuilders and athletes apply these principles to great effect.

Heavy weights are going to be your friend if you’re looking to see dramatic results. Heavy is relative too, so fuck what anyone else thinks, just be safe.

Thank you for your words and advice man and i sincerely wish you the best regarding your recovery, I’m sure you’ll be back crushing it soon.
Hope you are enjoying tonight’s fights!

Thank you, man. I appreciate it.

Best of luck to you.

WTF man, had no idea. Thought you just stopped logging. Hope you on the upside with good recovery.

WTF man, had no idea. Thought you just stopped logging. Hope you on the upside with good recovery.

Thanks man. Yeah, seems to be going OK so far. But recovery takes a long-ass time. The Surgeon who performed the operation said it could take up to nine months to fully recover. To put that into perspective, I only had the operation three months ago.

I'm seeing my Oncologist in a couple of weeks for a standard check up. I'm going to ask her when it will be safe for me to begin light exercise. I have to abide by the doctor's advice, of course, but I'm bored out of my fucking skull right now.

Thanks man. Yeah, seems to be going OK so far. But recovery takes a long-ass time. The Surgeon who performed the operation said it could take up to nine months to fully recover. To put that into perspective, I only had the operation three months ago.

I'm seeing my Oncologist in a couple of weeks for a standard check up. I'm going to ask her when it will be safe for me to begin light exercise. I have to abide by the doctor's advice, of course, but I'm bored out of my fucking skull right now.
Channel your inner Wade Wilson. Get a big jump on writing your program out when they say go.

Good luck.

Glad to hear your on the road to recovery

I hate the gym too TS. I've found that short workouts, with lighter weights and super high intensity is what works the best for me. Just turned 50 in February, and I'm coming up on 5 years back working out again. I went from your typical middle aged Dad bod at 45, to possibly the best shape of my life right now. My workouts are usually under 30 mins, including a warm up.
You're an inspiration. I was ready to cash myself in at 35. To know there is still training into middle age gives me hope.

Back