Getting back into training

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
Around 2 weeks ago i was sparring and sprained my knee (meniscal ligament) iv gone to a doctor who said to wear a knee brace for a week or so and start doing some strength exercises after that. Iv been wearing the brace for around a week and are starting some rehab exercises.

My question is what do you guys think is a good way to start again. I was planning on starting back just shadow boxing and boxing as not to stress the knee at first with an overload of knees and kicks then continue with my MT and MMA like before. Not being able to train sucks so i appreciate all the answers

Don't bang as hard.

Don't get suckered into being too excited. That ends up with you reinjuring yourself. Eg. I feel good, I've been a gimp bum for 2 weeks. I can spar. Then you do the world bang championships and get knee aids

Worse I had was a rib injury, thought padwork was fine. Turns out we were doing catch kicks -> sweep

Fml

Don't bang as hard.

Don't get suckered into being too excited. That ends up with you reinjuring yourself. Eg. I feel good, I've been a gimp bum for 2 weeks. I can spar. Then you do the world bang championships and get knee aids

Worse I had was a rib injury, thought padwork was fine. Turns out we were doing catch kicks -> sweep

Fml

Never thought id see those words next to your name...weird.

Iv been going to the gym still i simply just shadow box as everyone hits pads or hit the heavy bag at my own pace. its essentially the only way i can practise any technique. the problem is pushing off with it and since i fight primarily in orthodox my right leg (injured) is the back foot

I recommend to not rush it at all... I know it sucks but that’s why I’m in the scenario I’m in now... 21 not training because I need to lift weights to fix muscular imbalances ... yoga to loosen tight joints... ignoring sprained ankles and shit... and a few other things... take your fuckin time... because you’d think you recovered and next thing you know you overcommitted a punch or kick and that knee tweaks and boom.... so I’d take it slow and also use icy hot .. cold and yoga and whatever else at your disposal

Careful with miniscus problems on knees as it may end up as an ACL.

I d say rest even more and do some upper body stuff. Stop with fight sports even. I mean the chances are not high for an ACL but still this is one of the worst injuries one can get.

Give it a couple of weeks more IMO.

Around 2 weeks ago i was sparring and sprained my knee (meniscal ligament) iv gone to a doctor who said to wear a knee brace for a week or so and start doing some strength exercises after that. Iv been wearing the brace for around a week and are starting some rehab exercises.

My question is what do you guys think is a good way to start again. I was planning on starting back just shadow boxing and boxing as not to stress the knee at first with an overload of knees and kicks then continue with my MT and MMA like before. Not being able to train sucks so i appreciate all the answers

if you get cut, it will heal.

if you break bone, it will heal

if you mess up your joint, your fucked.

I would take it very easy and just rest it until there is absoltey no pain at all. then from there, start back very gently with stretching etc, and slowly work back to training.

knee done, you done, be careful with it.

if you get cut, it will heal.

if you break bone, it will heal

if you mess up your joint, your fucked.

I would take it very easy and just rest it until there is absoltey no pain at all. then from there, start back very gently with stretching etc, and slowly work back to training.

knee done, you done, be careful with it.

I never had any pain really just a bit unstable.

This was already two weeks ago and iv had a brace on for a week.no pain when doing the exercises (30 box squats, 10 bridges with 10s holds and 2-4 min holding a chain standing on one leg 2x a day) this seems to be helping with stability and the ability to actually push off with it.

I started with the foam roller and lacross ball today as well so we'll see how it all goes

I never had any pain really just a bit unstable.

This was already two weeks ago and iv had a brace on for a week.no pain when doing the exercises (30 box squats, 10 bridges with 10s holds and 2-4 min holding a chain standing on one leg 2x a day) this seems to be helping with stability and the ability to actually push off with it.

I started with the foam roller and lacross ball today as well so we'll see how it all goes

just be careful man and take it slow

a knee injury is a potential career ending injury, as is just about any other injury of a joint.

I have injured myself by "pushing through" only to make things worse and turn a potential minor injury into a major one.

luckily for me everything turned out ok.

better safe than sorry

I took some time off ( basically since December ) and went to the gym on spar day ( like an idiot) 2 weeks ago.

Rolled my right ankle real bad, sprained both wrists. No more training for another 3 weeks until I can run and bench without pain.

Learn from my mistake.

I took some time off ( basically since December ) and went to the gym on spar day ( like an idiot) 2 weeks ago.

Rolled my right ankle real bad, sprained both wrists. No more training for another 3 weeks until I can run and bench without pain.

Learn from my mistake.
Are you saying you can't bench teh 275 anymore?

Do some swimming bro.
<{smellit?}>

Do some swimming bro.
<{smellit?}>

im going to 2nd this!!!

swimming is great exercise and great conditioning! It also helps improve healing and recovery time.

Years ago I broke the joint in my R toe, the large joint that is is directly over the ball of the foot. I teeped a guy in sparring, and he checked my teep awkwardly thinking it was a kick. It bent my large to backwards/upwards severly injurying that joint. This was 2 weeks before a fight. I couldnt even walk on it. So to prepare for the fight and keep my stamina up the only thing I could do is swim. in retrospect I think this really helped with my stamina for the fight. but I was forced to swim and learn how great it is for training and healing. 2 weeks later I could walk on foot but not kick with it, I still went and fought, I ended up winning by TKO. I then continued to tape and train on my foot, it took about 1 year to fully heal.

here it is

Even better than swimming with knee problems is resistance training in the water. Then you can eliminate unwanted rotation in the knee joint completely and decide how much force you want to apply for strenghtening / activating.

After first phase start with balance training combined with mild muscle activation progressing as you see fit.

I know it sounds a lot but I would stop ma training up to 6 weeks.

Swimming is an awesome idea im able to walk and do light exercises iv mentioned above. Swimming or exercises underwater should be fine for me and help a ton. What would you guys think about riding a bike when more strength returns in the joint? Or some banded exercises?

As of now iv done some light exercise once or twice a day like box squats and bridges. As for balance iv been standing on one leg for maybe 2-3 min at a time. This seems to be helping. No MA training at all aside from mini steps while i super slowly shadow box(punches and elbows only)

Starting to go crazy...thinking about just sitting outside for the fresh air.SOS

Last edited:
im going to 2nd this!!!

swimming is great exercise and great conditioning! It also helps improve healing and recovery time.

Years ago I broke the joint in my R toe, the large joint that is is directly over the ball of the foot. I teeped a guy in sparring, and he checked my teep awkwardly thinking it was a kick. It bent my large to backwards/upwards severly injurying that joint. This was 2 weeks before a fight. I couldnt even walk on it. So to prepare for the fight and keep my stamina up the only thing I could do is swim. in retrospect I think this really helped with my stamina for the fight. but I was forced to swim and learn how great it is for training and healing. 2 weeks later I could walk on foot but not kick with it, I still went and fought, I ended up winning by TKO. I then continued to tape and train on my foot, it took about 1 year to fully heal.

here it is

Beautiful job mate. That finishing combination got me hyped haha nothing gets me reved up like a ko/tko in MT. Beauty clinch knee as well

Just keep in mind if you end up compounding injuries you'll be away from training even longer which would suck worse. Try and keep a little active but if you feel discomfort above a 2 out of 10 stop

im going to 2nd this!!!

here it is

Was this at Marconi?

Back