Getting fat, trying to change it.

odene

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys, been training/ working out for many years. Only recently though, ( last yr or so) I've definitely seen the importance of following actual routines and look at the numbers ( weight, calories etc) .

Im 32 and I know I got many years left to still get after it but I gained weight over the last 2 yrs or so. Im 5'10 235 lbs.
Im trying to get a grasp of it all, watching calories, lifting running.
My goals are simple. Hit all the aspects of fitness. I wanna lose weight ( get to about 190-200). Put muscle back on that I lost and overall be faster and stronger.
Going to go into a minor calorie deficit to lose about a lbs a week ( using fitpal).
I planned on doing a starting strength routine. Lifting Mon wed Fri and running Wed and Thursday.
Do all these things " jive"? Is there something I should change before I start doing this current set up?
Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

If you want to lose weight, the only thing that needs to happen is for you to decrease caloric intake, increase activity, or a combination of the two. So yes, you’re on the right track.

If you're not losing weight, you’re still eating too many calories.

Yeah that's the idea. Lose weight while keeping if not even gaining muscle and increasing my cardio. Due to my job, I need to be " good at a little bit of everything". I built a garage gym with power rack, pull up bar, landmine machine, plyo box , bench etc. So I have endless access to the gym .

Yeah that's the idea. Lose weight while keeping if not even gaining muscle and increasing my cardio. Due to my job, I need to be " good at a little bit of everything". I built a garage gym with power rack, pull up bar, landmine machine, plyo box , bench etc. So I have endless access to the gym .

You shouldn’t expect to “gain” muscle while losing weight. Aside from rare, specific instances, those are conflicting goals. What you can do, however, is lift weights to maintain as much of the muscle you do have as you lose weight. If you want to slowly gain weight from there, you can make that your new goal.

You shouldn’t expect to “gain” muscle while losing weight. Aside from rare, specific instances, those are conflicting goals. What you can do, however, is lift weights to maintain as much of the muscle you do have as you lose weight. If you want to slowly gain weight from there, you can make that your new goal.

Ah ok . I figured as much. Would you recommend going with the 5x5 model while trying to lose weight, run etc ? Is there a better routine at my current situation?

Just about any workout plan will work if you actually follow it. If you focus on building muscle you’ll burn more calories while inactive. I was in your situation a couple years ago.

Just started by walking and cleaning up my diet. Quit drinking soda, no more processed food, and drank less alcohol. Graduated to running short distances while on my walks then started lifting weights. Got up to 2 miles but hate running so switched to cardio acceleration.

Starting measurements were 6’, 230 and got down to 185 within a few months. I was 39 when I started. Now at 41 my diet is still fairly clean but do cheat every once in a while. Nice thing is you don’t crave garbage after you’re off it.

Checkout Jim stoppanis shortcut to shred. Really enjoyed that program and he has meal plans that work with it along with a macro system that makes it easy to figure out your meals.

Its a nice feeling when people that haven’t seen you in a while tell you how much better you look, good luck.

Just about any workout plan will work if you actually follow it. If you focus on building muscle you’ll burn more calories while inactive. I was in your situation a couple years ago.

Just started by walking and cleaning up my diet. Quit drinking soda, no more processed food, and drank less alcohol. Graduated to running short distances while on my walks then started lifting weights. Got up to 2 miles but hate running so switched to cardio acceleration.

Starting measurements were 6’, 230 and got down to 185 within a few months. I was 39 when I started. Now at 41 my diet is still fairly clean but do cheat every once in a while. Nice thing is you don’t crave garbage after you’re off it.

Checkout Jim stoppanis shortcut to shred. Really enjoyed that program and he has meal plans that work with it along with a macro system that makes it easy to figure out your meals.

Its a nice feeling when people that haven’t seen you in a while tell you how much better you look, good luck.

Awesome dude. Was always in shape. Then with kids and laziness started slacking. At first it was just a few pounds and an inconvenience. Now my snoring started at night, getting tired fast. Etc. Shits gotta change. Gotta get back to where i was 5 yrs ago.

Awesome dude. Was always in shape. Then with kids and laziness started slacking. At first it was just a few pounds and an inconvenience. Now my snoring started at night, getting tired fast. Etc. Shits gotta change. Gotta get back to where i was 5 yrs ago.

That’s how it goes. Have to add an inch or two to your pants size over time and just become complacent. I’ll post a video on that system when I get to my computer.

I had good success by cutting my fat intake to below 100 grams a day and just trying to eat a lot of protein and rice for carbs mostly because I’m allergic to wheat but any carb will do just try to eat a lot of fiber too. I went from 5 ft 11 250 to around 210 that way and it was pretty easy. The rest I got off from bjj and am now 180.

You’ll shit out pretty quickly on the novice lp with a. Caloric deficit, but once you stall just switch to an intermediate program and keep at it

Hey guys, been training/ working out for many years. Only recently though, ( last yr or so) I've definitely seen the importance of following actual routines and look at the numbers ( weight, calories etc) .

Im 32 and I know I got many years left to still get after it but I gained weight over the last 2 yrs or so. Im 5'10 235 lbs.
Im trying to get a grasp of it all, watching calories, lifting running.
My goals are simple. Hit all the aspects of fitness. I wanna lose weight ( get to about 190-200). Put muscle back on that I lost and overall be faster and stronger.
Going to go into a minor calorie deficit to lose about a lbs a week ( using fitpal).
I planned on doing a starting strength routine. Lifting Mon wed Fri and running Wed and Thursday.
Do all these things " jive"? Is there something I should change before I start doing this current set up?
Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

That looks good, lift 3 days per week and run for 2. Mix it up, have fun with it. There are many different things for cardio, I like long runs but a lot of people don't. Look up HIIT for something different.
Just push yourself and remember to stretch.

If having a caloric deficit, keep your protein intake up, at least .5g per pound of body weight. Eat clean.

Good luck and stay with it.

You do know the whole bulking thing is BS right? You can gain muscle without gaining fat and you can gain muscle while losing fat, as long as you get the proper amount of protein for muscle repair, you're gonna gain muscle. This has been studied, the only thing a caloric surplus does is make you gain fat, as for lean muscle growth its identical on a caloric maintanance and caloric surplus. You're gonna gain overall more weight if you eat more tho but thats just adding fat.
<Fedor23>

You do know the whole bulking thing is BS right? You can gain muscle without gaining fat and you can gain muscle while losing fat, as long as you get the proper amount of protein for muscle repair, you're gonna gain muscle. This has been studied, the only thing a caloric surplus does is make you gain fat, as for lean muscle growth its identical on a caloric maintanance and caloric surplus. You're gonna gain overall more weight if you eat more tho but thats just adding fat.
<Fedor23>

what

Yeah... The only thing required to gain and repair muscle after hypertrophy is protein. Muscle doesnt repair itself with carbohydrates or fat, given that your body isnt in starvation-survival mode you can gain muscle while losing fat at the same time.

<Fedor23>
Yeah... The only thing required to gain and repair muscle after hypertrophy is protein. Muscle doesnt repair itself with carbohydrates or fat, given that your body isnt in starvation-survival mode you can gain muscle while losing fat at the same time.

source.gif

no

Don't do a "diet". Learn to listen to your body and be honest with yourself. Eat slowly, pay attention while you're eating. and stop eating when satisfied, not full. It's truly the only long term fix.

While building muscle on a deficit is possible it's incredibly inefficient and for most natties a complete fucking waste of time if your goal is in fact to build muscle.....especially if you're obese like TS. It would take him years to recomp at his weight and he'd probably build half the amount of muscle if he simply prioritized cutting down(while attempting to retain as much muscle as possible) to his goal weight and then hopping on a moderate calorie surplus afterwards if his goal is gain muscle and minimize fat gain. At his point he needs to pick a horse and ride it.

I find it interesting that you get 100% on board with the over simplistic views that Doucette spouts yet give other well educated posters like Sano shit for trying to help you out with your bum hips after he's offered you a well informed and detailed response/critique.

Last edited:
Back