Getting hit with horse hair?

itrainUFC

Black Belt in UFC
@Blue
Reaction score
How much harder is a boxing glove made with horse hair feel vs foam padding?

I go to a MMA gym so everyone has MMA brand boxing gloves or else muay thai gloves. Never been hit with horse hair before.
Can someone give me an explaination or pain percentage to go off by? lol

I want to buy a Cleto Reyes glove for sparring but don't want to hurt my teammates. They look good and very traditional. I want to have a pair in my collection.

I go to a MMA gym so everyone has MMA brand boxing gloves or else muay thai gloves. Never been hit with horse hair before.

I want to buy a Cleto Reyes glove for sparring but don't want to hurt my teammates. They look good and very traditional. I want to have a pair in my collection.

Only the fight glove is horsehair. The trainers are latex, I believe.

Don't use horsehair "professional" fight gloves for training. They're not built to last more than 40 or so rounds.

The horse hair, as I understand it, gives the impression of ample padding, but after 100 punches or so flattens out. This gives hard punchers like Pacquiao an edge, which is why they use them.

Cleto Reyes' safetec models are made with foam padding specifically to emulate the size and shape of their pro gloves but give users the durability expected of a training glove. Their training models are made with foam padding for the same reason.

The horse hair, as I understand it, gives the impression of ample padding, but after 100 punches or so flattens out. This gives hard punchers like Pacquiao an edge, which is why they use them.

Pacquiao's a hard puncher?

Horsehair as the fight goes on conforms to the knuckles and pushes back in the glove, this causes the knuckles to make more contact than if you had traditional padding, good for a hard hitter with strong hands bad for a hard hitter with brittle hands (hence why Canelo has moved away from Cleto's) honestly Cletos aren't what I'd recommend for sparring at a club level, even if you got the training gloves. I won't recommend Fairtex on this because they BGV9's are too hard for sparring and the BGV6 are sparring only (no good if you want to do pads as well) you'd be best off trying Topboxer

Horsehair as the fight goes on conforms to the knuckles and pushes back in the glove, this causes the knuckles to make more contact than if you had traditional padding, good for a hard hitter with strong hands bad for a hard hitter with brittle hands (hence why Canelo has moved away from Cleto's) honestly Cletos aren't what I'd recommend for sparring at a club level, even if you got the training gloves. I won't recommend Fairtex on this because they BGV9's are too hard for sparring and the BGV6 are sparring only (no good if you want to do pads as well) you'd be best off trying Topboxer
The only Reyes I would trust for sparring are the hybrids. They are far more protective than the standard trainers.

You think getting hit with horsehair is bad ?
Try getting hit with the whole horse !

My sparring partner came wearing two strapped to his fists.
After he flung the first one, I said enough.
Sparring is for learning, not flinging domesticated beasts at each other.

Never again.
Winnings for me.
Funnily enough, I've never "won" in those but that's another story.

I sparred someone who was wearing Winning gloves and it was like getting slapped with $100 bills. Felt good knowing my sweat was destroying his gloves and all his gloves were doing was wiping my sweat.

I 2nd not sparring and cleto reyes trainers........ you can punch right through them and hurts me to even hit a heavy bag with them..... and I have never had a hand injury...... beautifully constructed just not enough padding for me

These other guys are full of shit for the most part. Fight gloves are usually made to a higher standard in regards to craftsmanship not necessarily padding. Most of my glove collection is composed of fight gloves of most every well known brand. You can use fight gloves for training as long as it's not sparring. They are perfect for hitting mitts or thai pads as well as small bags like double end and such. In regards to padding I don't really rely on the glove for that so much as I do the wrap. I use an oversized training wrap with tape and gauze.

But it comes down to personal preference in the end.

Cheers.

These other guys are full of shit for the most part. Fight gloves are usually made to a higher standard in regards to craftsmanship not necessarily padding. Most of my glove collection is composed of fight gloves of most every well known brand. You can use fight gloves for training as long as it's not sparring. They are perfect for hitting mitts or thai pads as well as small bags like double end and such. In regards to padding I don't really rely on the glove for that so much as I do the wrap. I use an oversized training wrap with tape and gauze.

But it comes down to personal preference in the end.

Cheers.

I wouldn't say anyone on this thread is full of shit. Essentially what you've just said is you can use fight gloves for training, just not anything like heavybag as the padding won't protect your hands. What is the fucking point of using a glove for training if you have to use your wraps to protect your hand as well? Fight gloves are designed to maximize protection for your hand and damage to your opponent. You can use any glove for anything but the risk to your hands increase. Horse hair is not good for training which is what the original question was asking. Horsehair is for fights and there are very good reasons for that.

I wouldn't say anyone on this thread is full of shit. Essentially what you've just said is you can use fight gloves for training, just not anything like heavybag as the padding won't protect your hands. What is the fucking point of using a glove for training if you have to use your wraps to protect your hand as well? Fight gloves are designed to maximize protection for your hand and damage to your opponent. You can use any glove for anything but the risk to your hands increase. Horse hair is not good for training which is what the original question was asking. Horsehair is for fights and there are very good reasons for that.

I use fight gloves on the heavy bag, so your point is invalid. But only in my case, and many other people I know. You can continue to use whatever gloves you use - I promise that I don't care. And i use fight gloves because i perfer the feel of them. Like I said It's personal preference. If your experienced you know your hands. Some guys have strong hands others are injury prone. I like fight gloves because they are usually high quality and you can land right over the knuckles. So it gives one a more realistic feel of they're punches.

Lol at trying to invalidate a good wrap job. You obviously don't know shit. A good wrap is the most important thing in regards to hand protection. It's the most important thing, along with proper punching technique.

<LikeReally5> .

I use fight gloves on the heavy bag, so your point is invalid. But only in my case, and many other people I know. You can continue to use whatever gloves you use - I promise that I don't care. And i use fight gloves because i perfer the feel of them. Like I said It's personal preference. If your experienced you know your hands. Some guys have strong hands others are injury prone. I like fight gloves because they are usually high quality and you can land right over the knuckles. So it gives one a more realistic feel of they're punches.

Lol at trying to invalidate a good wrap job. You obviously don't know shit. A good wrap is the most important thing in regards to hand protection. It's the most important thing, along with proper punching technique.

<LikeReally5> .

I didn't invalidate a good wrap job. I know full well how important wraps are as I've been fighting for a long time. You can act like you're superior all you want, but using fight gloves for heavy bag work and other things is a sure fire way to expose yourself to the risk of more injury. A good pair of gloves is far more important than a good wrap. A good wrap and a good pair of gloves is what you want, not one or the other.

You don't know shit if you believe fight gloves are as good of an option as actual training gloves. So please continue spreading idiotic information.

I didn't invalidate a good wrap job. I know full well how important wraps are as I've been fighting for a long time. You can act like you're superior all you want, but using fight gloves for heavy bag work and other things is a sure fire way to expose yourself to the risk of more injury. A good pair of gloves is far more important than a good wrap. A good wrap and a good pair of gloves is what you want, not one or the other.

You don't know shit if you believe fight gloves are as good of an option as actual training gloves. So please continue spreading idiotic information.

I have actual training gloves, asshole. Many pairs. Which I do use when I feel like it. My statement was my opinion. And is what works for me. You are free to use what ever gloves you want and wrap or not wrap your hands how you see fit. I have seen people fracture the wrist and break they're hand on the heavy bag using 16's - so It's boxing ( in this case). It's not a one size fits all thing.

Also, to Answer TS original question. All gloves were horse/ hog (animal) hair back in the day. Fight and sparring training. Bag gloves were more minimal than they are today basically just a mitt. The more protective ones had latex padding.

Modern horse hair gloves are almost exclusively made for pro fights in boxing. They are not necessarily harder than foam fight gloves they just disburse the impact of the blow less, so you and your opponent will feel the impact a little more.

I would recommend everlast mx fight gloves for training as they have a wider hand compartment than the Cleto fight glove. And can accomadate a oversized pro training wrap. But your an MMA guy and my frame of reference is boxing specific. I cross train thai boxing as well. I know that most mma gyms I have seen are more class orientated. And don't give you the time to do a real pro type training wrap. Which is different than a pro fight wrap.

Here is Canelo putting some work in with these same gloves on the heavy bag...

Btw @Woldog I can post many more videos of ppl using pro fight gloves to train. Yes - not everyone does but some do. Including me.

I can post many more videos of ppl using pro fight gloves to train. Yes - not everyone does but some do. Including me.
With all due respect and I do appreciate that you and others do use fight gloves to train, guys like Canelo who are sponsored are able to wear gloves like that as they can get as many pairs as they want, for sustained use I would never use fight gloves, but yes it does come to personal preference. I split my tendon wearing 16oz Cleto Reyes on a heavy bag this year and I have been boxing since I was 12, so I guess it comes down to whatever feels comfortable and whatever is in your budget.

With all due respect and I do appreciate that you and others do use fight gloves to train, guys like Canelo who are sponsored are able to wear gloves like that as they can get as many pairs as they want, for sustained use I would never use fight gloves, but yes it does come to personal preference. I split my tendon wearing 16oz Cleto Reyes on a heavy bag this year and I have been boxing since I was 12, so I guess it comes down to whatever feels comfortable and whatever is in your budget.

This is what im saying, you can injure your self with 16's. If your are injury prone or recovering from injury then I would not recommend pro fight gloves for training. Also I highly recommend the newer water bags that are out. They feel different than traditional heavy bags but are more forgiving as well.

Cheers.

Training in a pro fight glove is fun as hell.

With that said; I stay away from mexican/horse-hair based fight gloves for the heavybag (mitts are fine), such as Everlast MX and Cleto Reyes.

I love hitting the bag with the Winning pro fight gloves though. Those things seem like work horses for a pro fight glove.

Back