Getting KO'd at 35 for the first time is a big factor for the rematch

FTHELayNPray

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've not seen many fighters get ko'd at that age and come back at the same form they once had. 35 year old ko's are just more brutal than a 25 year old one. You can recover from that.

Let's not forget that was a 35 year old lights out ko. This is going to factor more in the rematch than people are saying.

Yeah it might make Usman blanket Edwards the entire fight instead of risking any striking battles. Winning more dominantly than ever. But I'm sure that's not what you meant.

1st KO loss is always a big factor.
Made a lot of fighters completely different afterward

edit: I mean a real KO out cold ofc not some TKO

He was about 90 seconds from going full Hollywood ..... he may never comeback from that.

I agree, Usman was already on the decline physically before the fight. Taking a KO loss like that (properly in the shadow realm KO) and fighting the rematch next year, at 36 whilst Leon is in his prime at 31-32? It will be very hard for him to win the belt back. You also got young killers in the division - Khamzat obviously but more importantly Shavkat.

I said before the fight, age is always a factor overlooked in fights, especially when one is physical prime and the other 3-4 years past it. Big advantage for the younger fighter.

We already know usman on his decline. Multiple sources including him said that his knees are shot and can't run and wrestle as much anymore. That usually happens to most wrestlers as they aged.

I also think he done. Respect though.

Yeah it might make Usman blanket Edwards the entire fight instead of risking any striking battles. Winning more dominantly than ever. But I'm sure that's not what you meant.

Not sure what you mean because Usman probably cannot "blanket" Leon while he is fresh. He certainly is going to have to do some striking in r1 and most of 2.

People so dramatic.

Just because he isn't the best, doesn't mean he's done. He was 50 seconds away from these comments about him being done 100 percent not being made

He was 50 seconds away from these comments about him being done 100 percent not being made

Doesn't matter because it did happen. That lights KO happening at that age will be Usman's biggest nightmare. That KO could've zapped him outta his prime.

It's not like dude is 25 and got TKO'd.

Not sure what you mean because Usman probably cannot "blanket" Leon while he is fresh. He certainly is going to have to do some striking in r1 and most of 2.

I'll give him that performance in the 1st round, that was very impressive.

But Usman will be ready for any trips next time. I really didn't see Leon able to stop Usman from closing the distance and stopping the fight from becoming in-close whether it was clinch, fence or ground fighting.

When it was striking it was on Usman's terms untill the final kick. He controlled the pace and where the fight went. Usman can avoid all striking altogether in a rematch.

I'll give him that performance in the 1st round, that was very impressive.

But Usman will be ready for any trips next time. I really didn't see Leon able to stop Usman from closing the distance and stopping the fight from becoming in-close whether it was clinch, fence or ground fighting.

When it was striking it was on Usman's terms untill the final kick. He controlled the pace and where the fight went. Usman can avoid all striking altogether in a rematch.

Even outside of the trip Leon had good take down defense in r1. Edwards actually got taken down in r1 when he went for a trip, he stopped Usman's take down attempt pretty easily. He got right back up instantly after he took himself down.

Usman started taking Leon down when he grinded out his stamina. So it's not like Usman can just do that from minute one of the fight.

You think he was gonna be a star and act differently and everything if he had won?

Seemed like he was on his way to securing a legacy of sorts. I don't think he would have been successful actor but he would always have been able to point to his MMA success. Now things are undoubtedly looking less bright for him. Even if this loss lights a fire under his but he can only train so much with the state of his knee's, superior conditioning is critical to winning fights with his style.

Either way, it will be in Usman's mind that he can't play it safe and coast to a win. He'll have to keep going after guys all 5 rounds like he has done in his earlier fights.

Doesn't matter because it did happen. That lights KO happening at that age will be Usman's biggest nightmare. That KO could've zapped him outta his prime.

It's not like dude is 25 and got TKO'd.
Gotta wait and see before you can really see either way. He should take enough time off there shouldn't be an immediate rematch, IMO

People so dramatic.

Just because he isn't the best, doesn't mean he's done. He was 50 seconds away from these comments about him being done 100 percent not being made
I don't think that's anywhere near what OP was saying

Usman started taking Leon down when he grinded out his stamina. So it's not like Usman can just do that from minute one of the fight.

And it's not like Leon is just gonna headkick Usman again the very second they start striking again.

And it's not like Leon is just gonna headkick Usman again the very second they start striking again.

I mean I didn't say he would. But the idea that "Oh NOW USMAN IS REALLY GONNA WRESTLE" like he wasn't already doing that is a little silly.

It's also implying that Usman let Edwards win. People use this argument all the time with wrestlers. "OH HE ONLY LOST BECAUSE HE DIDNT TAKE HIM DOWN!" - if anyone seriously thought about that statement they would see how little sense that makes.

Usman did not "let" Edwards strike with him, he literally took him down in round 5 or pinned him against the cage. Herb Dean separated them because he was bored of watching nothing happen. Usman got knocked out shortly after.

You're saying Usman is going to definitely use wrestling the entire fight implying like that wasn't what he did in this fight. The fight was boring as shit for that very reason.

Back