Social Gina Carano tosses her hat into social media politics #fireginacorano trends

Pretty simple concept for those not trying to hide behind what can be gotten away with legally.

free speech

I totally agree with the above definition. You are the one trying to add and without any form of reprisal or consequence to the second definition.

Wrong again. Unless you think reprisal is always a justified response to disagreement.

If a town's residents lynched every Muslim extrajudicially, you'd say they were afforded freedom of religion?

Well, you are kind of missing the relevant point; that the town's residents would be guilty of murder.

A better question would be, "If a town's residents decided to boycott a business because the owner was Muslim, does that interfere with his freedom of religion?"

And the answer would be, no. He simply has a regrettable choice to make: exercise his freedom of religion or appeal to the prejudices of his potential customers. No one is disputing his right to make either choice, but no form of government action can be imposed on the townspeople to make them not boycott the business.

As usual, it is ironic that you think you are advocating for greater freedom of expression, but the only way to functionally impose this would be by limiting the expression of others.

Last edited:
I got mixed feelings about “Cancel culture”. On one hand I’m glad people are being held responsible for stupid shit they may say, but on the other hand people are way over sensitive about everything. They are just looking for there to a be a problem sometimes when there isn’t one.
The problem is that certain people are being held responsible.

The market decided. They don't want Gina.

You tried Gillette and they survived.

Damn damn shame.
Thats not accurate... the market saw the mandalorian and loved it and many even her. Corporations are just so scared to see a single nickel roll out the door that they sacrificed her. Disney does shady shit changing their movies for China. It was also founded by a known antisemite. Its not the moral authority.

Well, if that's the game you want to play, the very question, "May I speak freely?" is an admission that there are situations and contexts in which "free" speech is not appropriate (otherwise, why the question?).
How free is it when you face punishment for exercising it?

I think she felt she had to make a stand but betted that Twitter was not going to turn into career suicide. Now that it happened, I feel sorry for her because she's not charismatic or natural enough to get a gig at Fox news or the UFC.

Well that depends. Are you with the cancel culture side? if you are i dont think you will get canceled if you stand with them politically.
i am on no ones side really .. all politicians suck as well does most of the media and i would never look up to a "celebrity" we are all bags of water trapped in a flesh prison ... no one is "special"

The problem is that certain people are being held responsible.
The problem with that is everything is being canceled or most of the things even words. People on twitter are over to sensitive. Example.
The origins of the term are unclear, but some brokers nonetheless find it offensive and inappropriate. The Houston Association of Realtors was the first industry group to decide to stop using “master bedroom” in late June, after some members expressed concerns that it could be perceived as racist or sexist
Imagine being woke to believe that the words master bedroom is either sexist or racist at the same time without offering shreds of evidence. Comic book writers/artists will be attacked if some try to do things differently, without not getting "sensitive"

The problem with that is everything is being canceled or most of the things even words. People on twitter are over to sensitive. Example.

Imagine being woke to believe that the words master bedroom is either sexist or racist at the same time without offering shreds of evidence. Comic book writers/artists will be attacked if some try to do things differently, without not getting "sensitive"
{<jordan}

I agree. Not sure what we can do to fight this shit.

try living in communist china or russia and see how people get "cancelled" there... you will come running back to the us hugging the flag

Money is the devil. This is what comes out of this entire thread.
The common refrain I hear is: "But Disney wanted to avoid losing money".
I guess people should sell their grandmother if it means avoiding losing money.
This is why rampant corporatism & out of bound capitalism is problematic, when it even has a hold on media, politics, the establishment, etc.

The common decent people, who base their actions on values, not money, disagree with all that.
When you help someone on the side of the road, is it a money decision? No.
I don't want a fucking society where money decides everything.
I thought that as companies, they used to stand for something more. That's what great companies used to be about.

i am on no ones side really .. all politicians suck as well does most of the media and i would never look up to a "celebrity" we are all bags of water trapped in a flesh prison ... no one is "special"

That's a good position honestly just be careful though.Staying neutral is hard. Your right i never liked to much of Hollywood i did used enjoy some actors and actress for their acting in moves though. Hollywood movies so far had being boring.

maybe if all the people you "like" are being cancelled , it might be time to check your own morals and what you think is good or bad

But that's the thing bud, it's not all people I like. In fact it has nothing to do with my personal preferences. I like a wide variety of people. Like I said, they tried like hell to cancel my favorite standup comic of all time in Dave Chappelle. They went after Drew Brees for saying something utterly non-offensive by any rational measure.

I don't give a shit about "sides", the entire idea of seeking out things to be offended by and then looking to severely punish the offending person is an awful trend. And it's both people I like and dislike I'd say that about.

I understand there's an ideological bend to this currently, yes. That's why nobody tried to cancel Meryl Streep for giving a serial child rapist a standing ovation, etc. But the political/ideological part is less concerning to me than the fact that we have so many people seemingly needing to feel aggrieved to the point of trying to get others fired. It's pathetic.

try living in communist china or russia and see how people get "cancelled" there... you will come running back to the us hugging the flag
For the most part, parts of other Eastern Europe and most parts of western countries are ok to. Just not this current culture stuff. I really dont like how this woke stuff had now entered my escapism.

That's a good position honestly just be careful though.Staying neutral is hard. Your right i never liked to much of Hollywood i did used enjoy some actors and actress for their acting in moves though. Hollywood movies so far had being boring.
hey i love henry cavill , Harrison ford , Christian bale etc as actors but i dont follow them on social media or give a damn on any position that take on anything ...

Good, fuck her. You don't have to be the nicest person in the world, just don't be an asshole who likes to be proud of being an asshole. I don't really give a shit about her opinions, as long as they're not too crazy, but trolling others and being a dick to get them pissed off... So long. You can't have the Sherdog mentality and expect to keep great jobs.
You obviously care because your response is full of anger, and being an asshole to her. Yet you told her not to be an asshole, I never seen her respond the way you have. She is actually a nice person and was just saying cancel culture is a joke and people need to stop bowing to the loud minority who wants people basically to suffer for not agreeing with them, if you didnt care about her opinion why say to her good fuck her? calm down buddy why did she make you so angry.

If you want to muzzle those who disagree with you, that’s your choice. But allowing those on one side freedom to say anything they want, and firing those people on the other side who speak freely, is completely wrong.
What if you think the things one "side" is saying are reasonable (or profitable) and you think the things the other "side" is saying are unreasonable (or unprofitable)?

There's nothing saying a company cannot choose to be associated with one style of expression to the exclusion of others, is there?

Otherwise the very concept of "branding" would not exist.

You obviously care because your response is full of anger, and being an asshole to her. Yet you told her not to be an asshole, I never seen her respond the way you have. She is actually a nice person and was just saying cancel culture is a joke and people need to stop bowing to the loud minority who wants people basically to suffer for not agreeing with them, if you didnt care about her opinion why say to her good fuck her? calm down buddy why did she make you so angry.

Loud minority lmao. Ummm racist republicans are the minority. Which is why you had a one term president. And which is why companies don't pander to racists... except the my pillow guy and goya..

L

But that's the thing bud, it's not all people I like. In fact it has nothing to do with my personal preferences. I like a wide variety of people. Like I said, they tried like hell to cancel my favorite standup comic of all time in Dave Chappelle. They went after Drew Brees for saying something utterly non-offensive by any rational measure.

I don't give a shit about "sides", the entire idea of seeking out things to be offended by and then looking to severely punish the offending person is an awful trend. And it's both people I like and dislike I'd say that about.

I understand there's an ideological bend to this currently, yes. That's why nobody tried to cancel Meryl Streep for giving a serial child rapist a standing ovation, etc. But the political/ideological part is less concerning to me than the fact that we have so many people seemingly needing to feel aggrieved to the point of trying to get others fired. It's pathetic.
Dave is funny and some of his new stuff is funny but hes also gotten older and realized what sells and what doesnt .. also dont put people like him on a pedestal or let them influence you .. hes not your friend and at the end of the day he looks out for himself .. I have personally met Dave several times back in NYC (he frequented carolines comedy club) hes a chill dude but has alot of demons and thats why he ran off to africa etc...

funny dude but not someone to look up to IMO

Back