Glock 17 vs 47. Next purchase

oldshadow

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I'm looking at a new pistol and debating between a Clock 17 gen 5 or the 47.

I want 17 rounds and both have that. I might concealed carry it but mostly for home /vehicle defense.

I have CC some larger frame weapons. Full size colt 45 and a stub nose 357. They do get the "boat anchor" feel if you carry ISWB for a long time.

My prime concern is the mag size without the extended mag off feeling. I want the 17 +1.

I have handed but not shot both. I'm going back and forth on which I think would best suit my wants.

I know there ate some very knowledgeable people in here and just wanted some input to mull around while.

I know the best solution is buy both but I told the wife I needed a AR and one of these two so she is fine with that.

After this I may look at the glock 19.

Anyway thanks for any input from you guys.

I carry two 17s regularly, I'd go for them personally if you're not worried about having an optic. You can find 17s for much cheaper too.

I want 17 rounds and both have that. I might concealed carry it but mostly for home /vehicle defense.

I have CC some larger frame weapons. Full size colt 45 and a stub nose 357. They do get the "boat anchor" feel if you carry ISWB for a long time.

My prime concern is the mag size without the extended mag off feeling. I want the 17 +1.

I have handed but not shot both. I'm going back and forth on which I think would best suit my wants.

I know there ate some very knowledgeable people in here and just wanted some input to mull around while.

I know the best solution is buy both but I told the wife I needed a AR and one of these two so she is fine with that.

I have a Lone Wolf Glock 17 clone frame that I really like. I have several 3D printed Glock 17 and 19 frames as well. I think it just comes down to whichever model feels right when you carry, etc.

So correct me if I'm wrong but is the 47 a 17 slide and barrel with a 19 grip? Basically the opposite of a 19X/45?

@oldshadow Are you dead set on a Glock? The M&P 2.0 line is a fantastic alternative.

So correct me if I'm wrong but is the 47 a 17 slide and barrel with a 19 grip? Basically the opposite of a 19X/45?

Yea I believe it is just shorter barrel and slide with some other slight mods.

Not dead set so I'll give the M&P a look over.
I don't think they make something like the 19X/45 or 47 but they do have the equivalents to a 17 and 19. And there's also a metal frame option.

Go to a gun range that rents them and see for yourself.

Go to a gun range that rents them and see for yourself.

Have run a few rounds through with people I know that have them. Just getting more information from maybe people here that have either or both.

Been looking at comparisons on you tube. Just gathering as much info as I can before deciding.

With that 47 you may run into some of the same complaints I had with the Specific model canik I bought, see:

https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/172053626/

Compact grips in a compact gun seem to feel better than compact grips and a regular length slide. Something you notice. If compact grip is big enough, don't sweat it then.

Subcompact grips blow for reloads, (easy to pinch your hand)

As contrarian opinion, I'd say go with a Canik Mete SFT About $420 online, 20 times better trigger, holds 18 rnds, Magazines fly out for reloads. Same size as 17.
564259-14264036.jpg

With that 47 you may run into some of the same complaints I had with the Specific model canik I bought, see:

https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/172053626/

Compact grips in a compact gun seem to feel better than compact grips and a regular length slide. Something you notice. If compact grip is big enough, don't sweat it then.

Subcompact grips blow for reloads, (easy to pinch your hand)

As contrarian opinion, I'd say go with a Canik Mete SFT About $420 online, 20 times better trigger, holds 18 rnds, Magazines fly out for reloads. Same size as 17.
564259-14264036.jpg

Thanks I'll consider this.

If it’s primarily for CCW, I’d look at the Sig P365 XMacro. Will get you that 17+1 you’re looking for in a bit easier to conceal size. Also has something resembling a compensator right from the factory.

I’m way more of a Glock guy than a Sig guy, but 17 wouldn’t be the most fun to carry.

Back