Gloves ?

Metal Stuff

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi,
Im currently using 14 OZ gloves, but whenever Im sparring it feels like when I hit it doesnt have the proper impact, they just feel too big.
Im thinking about using 12 OZ ones...good idea ?

No! 16oz or higher no less than that for sparring. Its not the glove its you, work on your technique and learn to slow things down. Remember the punch starts from the ground up.

I would never spar you if you came in with 12oz gloves.

I just spar bareknuckle. It seems to work fine, I've only broken my hands a few times, and my face is only a little deformed, and I've only had a few major concussions.

I just spar bareknuckle. It seems to work fine, I've only broken my hands a few times, and my face is only a little deformed, and I've only had a few major concussions.

This is basically how men do it, good post. I prefer glass glued to my fists, but either is acceptable. I know guys who do both.

Hi,
Im currently using 14 OZ gloves, but whenever Im sparring it feels like when I hit it doesnt have the proper impact, they just feel too big.
Im thinking about using 12 OZ ones...good idea ?

Sparring gloves are to protect your hands and your opponent's head. Stick with your 14oz, work your technique, and build your strength.

You should try using these. They really give a good impact on all your punches.

Dead_rising_Tenderizers.png

What are the goals you want to achieve with your training? If you train for self-defense, I'd suggest you wear smaller gloves, because you have to adjust your guard to fighting bareknuckle (or with smaller gloves if you fight MMA), and with these HUGE 16oz gloves you can develope bad habits with your guard, because you rely too much on your big gloves to protect your face. I do my sparring with 10oz gloves because of that.

If you really really fucking hate your sparring partners then by all means get smaller gloves.

I've had a couple of newer guys spar me with 12 ounce gloves. It's a dick move against the person you're sparring with.

Why does it not feel like you are having the proper impact? How do you feel hitting mitts or the heavy bag? What are you currently using for gloves?

If you want your partners to feel your punches, "punchers gloves" even at 14-16 oz will be felt. Personally I want the safest gloves, because ultimately I don't want to be a douche and cause purposeful harm to my partner. Top Tens are my favorite under 100 bucks :).

If your gym is letting people spar with 12 ounce glove, I would seriously be worried that they dont have your safety in mind.

Do they stock body bags behind the counter too? Do you have to bob and weave around the puddles of blood on the gym floor?

Bare min 14oz but really should be 16oz gloves for sparring.

The point of sparring gloves is not to have impact, plus train with heavier gloves will make the lighter gloves feel very light....

Back