PlayStation GOD OF WAR [2016, PS4]

Give it more time... this game is awesome...

I must say the difficulty with this game is perfect. It’s hard but fair. You can’t just Willy nilly attack like old gow games.. you could just play keep away n throw the axe all day long but that’s boring n doesn’t work with everyone...

i noticed that too, Im playing on hard mode and this is challenging but not break controller in rage challenging

Waiting on the sure-to-be-hilarious fan made Father's Day cards referencing this game lol

I guess every 5-foot-Nothin' , Half-Ginger with a beard is Conor.

i noticed that too, Im playing on hard mode and this is challenging but not break controller in rage challenging

Lol yea I’m on the 2nd hardest (one up from the hardest) and I’ve been getting killed. But that’s mainly because I only upgrade every so often. Don’t know why I do that but I love seeing the purple bars turn to yellow after getting one shotted multiple times.

There is a lot of content in this game. So much that I doubt I’ll 100% it.

Does anyone know if the shields are just for looks or do they each do something different? If it’s a spoiler just use a tag.

Does combat get more engaging?

Granted i am only a couple hours in, but the combat just feels "meh" to me.

I never felt it did. Then again, I used maybe 1/4 of the skills I unlocked/bought. Always found myself reverting to using the rune attacks or basic R1, R1, R1, R2. There are axe throw combos and stuff but I rarely bothered using them since enemies always seemed to rush me and throwing the axe is more of a ranged attack.

I see how combat-wise the game tries to do Dark Souls, but the problem is that it's not fluid enough to pull it off. It doesn't feel *too* clunky, but just clunky enough to where precision timing doesn't work as well.

Lol yea I’m on the 2nd hardest (one up from the hardest) and I’ve been getting killed. But that’s mainly because I only upgrade every so often. Don’t know why I do that but I love seeing the purple bars turn to yellow after getting one shotted multiple times.

There is a lot of content in this game. So much that I doubt I’ll 100% it.

Does anyone know if the shields are just for looks or do they each do something different? If it’s a spoiler just use a tag.

There is quite a bit of content, but I was disappointed by some of it. For instance, the one "realm" that's nothing more than a trials area.

As far as shields go, I doubt there's much of a difference, as I didn't even know there were different shields and the default one held up just fine lol

Yes. It's a lot less about combos though and more about positioning and using the right attack against the right kind of enemy. I'm parrying, dodging, using attacks at range, using the kid to distract enemies so I don't get mauled immediately, racing around the area like a nut so that I'm not trapped. And I have to time my cool downs so that I can actually burn enemies down or knock them off ledges. There are a couple of encounters that I don't think I could even do without Spartan Fury.

This is on Give Me God of War though. I imagine the top two difficulty settings probably require the player to use a lot of tools. If I don't kill an enemy instantly they turn into a leveled up version of themselves, and at this point a lot of them manage to heal themselves back up to full. And I typically can't take more than two hits.

That said, I imagine it can get pretty tedious if you aren't forced to do more than swing your weapon or just have amazing reactions.

There is quite a bit of content, but I was disappointed by some of it. For instance, the one "realm" that's nothing more than a trials area.

As far as shields go, I doubt there's much of a difference, as I didn't even know there were different shields and the default one held up just fine lol

Yea, lots of collecting items and back tracking. If you’re into 100% games (which I’m not) there’s quite a bit of it. I have no idea how far I am in the game though because I’ve been scavenging the lake for a long while.

For those who got this far, can someone explain:

What's up with the big-ass bird in Hel? I thought eventually you'd have to fight it but I have no idea who/what it is or what its purpose was.

On a side note - anyone who found the setting and story interesting absolutely needs to try Hellblade. There are very similar themes/settings and the overall feel shows a heavy GoW influence.

Yes. It's a lot less about combos though and more about positioning and using the right attack against the right kind of enemy. I'm parrying, dodging, using attacks at range, using the kid to distract enemies so I don't get mauled immediately, racing around the area like a nut so that I'm not trapped. And I have to time my cool downs so that I can actually burn enemies down or knock them off ledges. There are a couple of encounters that I don't think I could even do without Spartan Fury.

This is on Give Me God of War though. I imagine the top two difficulty settings probably require the player to use a lot of tools. If I don't kill an enemy instantly they turn into a leveled up version of themselves, and at this point a lot of them manage to heal themselves back up to full. And I typically can't take more than two hits.

That said, I imagine it can get pretty tedious if you aren't forced to do more than swing your weapon or just have amazing reactions.

Yea the regen sucks but so do the ones that
you have to beat the flying guys out of before they start losing health.
Those guys suck hard.

Is this going to come out on PC?

If not go fuck yourself Sony.

I never felt it did. Then again, I used maybe 1/4 of the skills I unlocked/bought. Always found myself reverting to using the rune attacks or basic R1, R1, R1, R2. There are axe throw combos and stuff but I rarely bothered using them since enemies always seemed to rush me and throwing the axe is more of a ranged attack.

I see how combat-wise the game tries to do Dark Souls, but the problem is that it's not fluid enough to pull it off. It doesn't feel *too* clunky, but just clunky enough to where precision timing doesn't work as well.
I feel like I disagree with every point you made lol.

Yea the regen sucks but so do the ones that
you have to beat the flying guys out of before they start losing health.
Those guys suck hard.
Ugh, yeah. Thank God they take a lot of stun damage. Speaking of, stun seems like a wasted mechanic. Most enemies that take a lot of stun are easier to just dps, and the rest aren't worth giving up runic attacks against. I barely ever get stun grabs, but then again I haven't specced into that heavy shield attack because I keep preferring to spend points elsewhere.

Probably just has more to do with how we play the game.

Depth is there if you want. Using the axe and cool downs strategically is a must at the higher difficulties from what I can gather.

I can get away with spamming R1 against low level enemies but anything my level or above and there’s definitely some thought involved in my approach.

I think this is the best combat system in the series and it’s not really close.

Back