Gomi > Nick Diaz

So let me get this straight, Gomi would have won if he didn't lose?
I thought it was more that well-rest Gomi is better than well-rest Diaz.

Had they fought a year or two earlier Gomi would have had a much better chance of winning, and he still put the hurt on Nick.

once gomi gassed he almost quit in the ring

Had they fought a year or two earlier Gomi would have had a much better chance of winning, and he still put the hurt on Nick.
That's also probably true. He started to burn out in Pride. I don't think he was ever quite the same after getting out from under Noriaki Kiguchi, who was as much father figure as coach. I love Gomi but post-Kiguchi his grappling didn't seem to be quite so sharp and he didn't have that focused intensity IMO. I mean, Gomi with Kiguchi was a Gomi that completely owned an Olympic silver medalist in Combat Wrestling and took 1st in the same weight class that had Baret Yoshida, Masakazu Imanari and Rumina Sato. At the same time, I could only imagine what a demanding situation that was, probably even more so because of the personal aspect to it. So I can't blame him for striking out on his own.

That's not what the OP said though, he said that Gomi would have won if he had a better gas tank.

Footage from the fight:
3617741020_de417cc280.jpg

Wasn't Gomi partying or something around that time?

Wasn't Gomi partying or something around that time?

Well, he was struggling with those sorts of distractions. Of course, every fighter struggles with distractions of some sort.

Well, he was struggling with those sorts of distractions. Of course, every fighter struggles with distractions of some sort.
This was prides event in Vegas, Gomi was jet lagged and poisoned with alcohol also and almost put Nick away

Meh.....better off having another boo at his fight against Crusher. One of the best eva!

Just rewatched the fight, Gomi controlled Nick on top for 3 mins with relentless ground and pound and defended all sub attempts. Gomi then dropped the Stockton iron chin and was going to finish Nick before he gassed out, so if Gomi had a gas tank he would demolished Nick easily, also Nick smoked weed and then everything was slow motion for him to sink in the gogo. Long live the fire ball kid!

The interesting thing for me isn't that Nick won.

I think it is incredible that fat, refuse to cut weight Gomi (who should clearly have been at 145), put up a great fight against a much bigger Nick Diaz.

I think a lot of the Asian fighters would be higher on the GOAT lists if they had fought against guys their own size instead of taking on all comers like macho idiots.

Back