Good guy with a gun (uniformed cop) at Parkland Highschool shooting didn't engage shooter...

ShoelessRye

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel on Thursday said he has suspended without pay the school resource officer who was at the Parkland school where 17 people were shot dead.

Israel said school resource officer Scot Peterson took a position outside of the school but "never went in" as the onslaught occurred, citing security footage.

"In the case of Scot Peterson, our school resource deputy, I want to clarify any rumors, conjecture or stories that may have been out there," Israel said.

Israel said Peterson was "absolutely on campus," adding that he was armed and in uniform during the shooting.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...r-Who-Was-at-Parkland-Shooting-474889753.html

"After seeing video and witness statements, and Peterson's own statement, I decided this morning ... to suspend Scot Peterson without pay pending an internal investigation," Israel said, adding Peterson chose to then resign and retire.

When asked what Peterson should have done during the shooting, Israel said he should have "went in, addressed the killer and killed" him.

"Our main goal at this point, absent of helping these families heal and keeping our schools safe, is making sure this killer receives the justice he deserves," Israel previously said.

In 2014, the Broward County Crime Commission awarded Peterson with the title of School Resource Officer of the Year for the City of Parkland District.

The group said Peterson proved "to be reliable in handling issues with tact and judgment."

So a police officer with full police officer training didn't run into the building to have a shootout with the shooter but the plan is to arm teachers and give them a training course? Do we really expect an officer with a handgun to engage unknown number of assailants with AR-15's? I believe it has been established through the courts, maybe even SCOTUS that they don't have to risk their lives in such a way. The guy froze or "chickened out" but at the end of the day it's a job.

Last edited:
The only thing we can do to stop this is give guns, more guns.
If not they will take our guns.
Per the Tobacco lobby errrrrr I mean the NRA.

That is absolutely cowardice, a fireable offense. Glad to see the school resource officer is suspended WITHOUT pay. Unfortunately these SRO positions do often fall to the lazy or cowardly officers, for obvious reasons.

That man has to live the rest of his life knowing that he stood idly by while children were massacred.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel on Thursday said he has suspended without pay the school resource officer who was at the Parkland school where 17 people were shot dead.

Israel said school resource officer Scot Peterson took a position outside of the school but "never went in" as the onslaught occurred, citing security footage.

"In the case of Scot Peterson, our school resource deputy, I want to clarify any rumors, conjecture or stories that may have been out there," Israel said.

Israel said Peterson was "absolutely on campus," adding that he was armed and in uniform during the shooting.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...r-Who-Was-at-Parkland-Shooting-474889753.html

"After seeing video and witness statements, and Peterson's own statement, I decided this morning ... to suspend Scot Peterson without pay pending an internal investigation," Israel said, adding Peterson chose to then resign and retire.

When asked what Peterson should have done during the shooting, Israel said he should have "went in, addressed the killer and killed" him.

"Our main goal at this point, absent of helping these families heal and keeping our schools safe, is making sure this killer receives the justice he deserves," Israel previously said.

In 2014, the Broward County Crime Commission awarded Peterson with the title of School Resource Officer of the Year for the City of Parkland District.

The group said Peterson proved "to be reliable in handling issues with tact and judgment."

So a police officer with full police officer training didn't run into the building to have a shootout with the shooter but the plan is to arm teachers and give them a training course? The cop will not get suspended for this, but he'll probably have to quit. Do we really expect an officer with a handgun to engage unknown number of assailants with AR-15's? I don't think they legally have to do shit.
Soldiers freeze in war, too. I'm not sure staking arguments on individual human flaws is fruitful unless you'd care to examine the data in more depth to demonstrate how often armed guards freeze versus how often they respond (not just in schools).

Besides, the threat of illegally obtained guns (or other weapons) doesn't go away if you remove the guns. Your prime problem cited in this thread still exists.

Beat me to it. Crazy. Lawsuit will be coming against the sheriff's dept. Multiple errors on their end.

Need to arm the teachers. Especially so, since they can't ever get knocked out and disarmed.

Sounds like this guy is great at his job.

They forced him to resign and retire at the same time. What a disgrace. This can could have saved some lives.

“We’re not going to disclose the video at this time,” said Israel. “And we may never disclose the video depending on the prosecution and the criminal case. But what I saw was a deputy arrive at the west side of Building 12. Take up a position. And he never went in.”

That is absolutely cowardice, a fireable offense. Glad to see the school resource officer is suspended WITHOUT pay. Unfortunately these SRO positions do often fall to the lazy or cowardly officers, for obvious reasons.

So a police officer with full police officer training didn't run into the building to have a shootout with the shooter but the plan is to arm teachers and give them a training course? The cop will not get suspended for this, but he'll probably have to quit. Do we really expect an officer with a handgun to engage unknown number of assailants with AR-15's? I believe it has been established through the courts, maybe even SCOTUS that they don't have to risk their lives in such a way. The guy froze or "chickened out" but at the end of the day it's a job.

? He was suspended, then resigned and retired according to your quote.

And yes, he should’ve gone in and all officers, myself included, should be expected to do the same. We train to do it fairly often nowadays. If another unit is a few seconds out you can wait to form a 2 man team but anything more than 30 seconds and I’m going in alone. I’d expect no less from any officer worth his salt to do the same for my kid.

Not having many details about this particular instance, if it ends up being as bad as it sounds then fuck that guy.

Arming teachers as a solution to school shootings is an incredibly stupid idea.

? He was suspended, then resigned and retired according to your quote.

And yes, he should’ve gone in and all officers, myself included, should be expected to do the same. We train to do it fairly often nowadays. If another unit is a few seconds out you can wait to form a 2 man team but anything more than 30 seconds and I’m going in alone. I’d expect no less from any officer worth his salt to do the same for my kid.

Not having many details about this particular instance, if it ends up being as bad as it sounds then fuck that guy.

Dude, I admire your bravery.

Beat me to it. Crazy. Lawsuit will be coming against the sheriff's dept. Multiple errors on their end.
Not sure it will go anywhere. I believe it's be ruled by the courts that police don't have to risk their lives as part of the job. Going in, suited up with SWAT, in formations with bigger guns is one thing. This guy had a service hand gun.

I don't say this often....

But...

Fucking coward

His involvement could have caused more bloodshed anyways, since he would have to locate the shooter and engage him in a densely populated school, and perhaps even elongate the spree.

The entire premise of this cop having this job and fulfilling that responsibility is asinine. A lot of cops would probably do the same thing in the shock of the moment. The idea that the introduction of a minimally armed officer is going to lessen death counts in the aggregate is silly.

That man has to live the rest of his life knowing that he stood idly by while children were massacred.

I mean...I doubt he was ever thrilled about. A lot of people don't realize they're cowards until an actual situation like his.

Not sure it will go anywhere. I believe it's be ruled by the courts that police don't have to risk their lives as part of the job. Going in, suited up with SWAT, in formations with bigger guns is one thing. This guy had a service hand gun.

Imagine what that's like, all you hear is the sound of assault rifle fire, you have no idea how many shooters are in the building and all you have is a pistol.

Back