Gracie Barra crediting their online videos as attendance

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Can they sink any lower lol?

While we can all appreciate the value of a good instructional, how is watching one (and not drilling or rolling) equivalent to the experience gained in an actual class? I don’t care if they are just recording who is watching - but GB promotes based on the amount of classes one attends...and apparently now you don’t even have to attend class to tick the box for promotion.

This doesn't make any sense to me. I am fine with attendance being a prerequisite for promotion, not the only factor. People like to point to/make fun of TMAs for doing things are not good for developing students. In all my years of being in karate I never saw anything like this. You actually had to go to class to get credit for going to class. Granted 20+ years ago this wasn't an option. I don't know what things are like now.

havent seen gb hate since 2009 lol remember back then people were hating hard on them for allowing blue belt affiliation gyms to open gyms i disliked them for fact u had to 100% wear their gear and i hated most of it

without roger and braulio dont think theyd been near as big in terms popularity

tbh thou if u have a partner you are working with and training online with what the coach shows that day i dont have an issue with them taking a month or 2 towards getting your next rank

isnt like your going from blue t black lol

havent seen gb hate since 2009 lol remember back then people were hating hard on them for allowing blue belt affiliation gyms to open gyms i disliked them for fact u had to 100% wear their gear and i hated most of it

without roger and braulio dont think theyd been near as big in terms popularity
Lol I know at least 2 GB schools that have blue belt coaches (for adults too)

Saw an article comparing their gym rules to that of cults and guess what.. they made the cut .

giphy.gif

LOL @ people surprised by any of this in 2020.

BJJ is a great grappling art but it is generally ridden with commercial schemes.
If you can't stand commercial schemes then BJJ is probably not for you.

I'm GB and didnt know this , but if true it's a disgrace.

Those that read my past posts have probably seen my issues with GB attendance based promotion. I've always hated it.

When I got into BJJ I really did want to be really good at it and can do a drop in at any academy and hang with people around my rank.

Nearly 4 years later I've resigned myself to just doing it for fun , exercise, and socializing with my teammates who I really like and the best friends I've had all my life .

I did fine when I dropped into other non GB academies , which made me feel like I wasnt a total fraud .

But in reality even though I've conditioned myself to ignore it all and go in and train hard 5-6 times a week and not worry about anything else , crap like the OP prop up and reminds me how I'm not really doing BJJ, just basically an admittedly pretty good and intense exercise that at least I find fun and engaging

It is what it is. But at my age with 2 kids and this gym being conveniently down the street from me I either stay there or quite BJJ entirely

Hopefully I did not offend any other GB students with my post

We've all moved our classes online. My students still get graded and "promoted" to the next grade level at the end of the school year.

It's only natural that martial arts studios will do the same.

I've rolled with some GB guys that were super nice, welcomed me (an outsider) to their open mat, and everyone seemed to have excellent fundamentals. I guess some instructors or schools could be cultish, but I've never thought of GB as a whole that way because my limited experience tells me otherwise. That said, counting online class as anything other than "better than nothing" seems silly, but then again - counting attendance for promotion seems silly to me too.

I'm not really doing BJJ, just basically an admittedly pretty good and intense exercise that at least I find fun and engaging

I see what your saying but you are doing BJJ. Just because your school might promote quicker than others doesn't mean you guys aren't doing BJJ.

I see what your saying but you are doing BJJ. Just because your school might promote quicker than others doesn't mean you guys aren't doing BJJ.

Thanks man , but I do worry about the attendance based promotion we have at my school severely limiting our abilities in BJJ. My instructor is legit and I dont know why be choses to promote that way. From my limited conversations I've had with him on this topic it seemed like he did it to keep people motivated, which I disagree with a lot, but then again I'm not the one who has to worry about running a business

LOL @ people surprised by any of this in 2020.

BJJ is a great grappling art but it is generally ridden with commercial schemes.
If you can't stand commercial schemes then BJJ is probably not for you.
the gracies are all marketing wizards. Self promotion and engrandizement is in their DNA

We've all moved our classes online. My students still get graded and "promoted" to the next grade level at the end of the school year.

It's only natural that martial arts studios will do the same.

Maybe you shouldn't have students if you think that a combat sport can be graded online the same way that chemistry and history can be graded online.

the gracies are all marketing wizards. Self promotion and engrandizement is in their DNA

What I find really sad is the coping mechanism of people who buy into these bullshit schemes and don't want to acknowledge them for what they are.

You can still learn legit BJJ from a school with a bunch of bullshit schemes but just deal with the fact that bullshit schemes are bullshit schemes.

I tried to join in with a zoom class my instructor was doing and only lasted a few minutes. I appreciated the effort, but he started doing the regular class warm-ups and it was just too weird.

You want all your favorite jiu jitsu gyms to close down? If you can you should still pay your dues.

At least that's my take.

I feel kinda bad for them. All that, the good and the bad, the effort into both and they're destroyed by a virus.

Back