Gracie Combatives/Helio Gracie Self Defense is just plain old Marketing Scam to get Clients

I understand how the Gracie academy can come across as a little too much but don't they have a point. If you do only sport techniques and dont let someone but on the gloves and strike you as you try to take them down or in your guard you might be in fir a surprise.

If Haymaker defence isn't lesson number one you fucked up in teaching your students how to defend themselves from the majority of attacks that aren't sexual. Well apart from stressing running.

Getting up from the ground is number two, running sprints and around the block is number three, positional control number four. In order of priorities.......
Also if your attacker uses any straight punches run like shit you aren't beating him he has likely trained stand up for 2-3 years cause for the first two years people don't punch straight without flaring elbows.

Well that is my opinion at least I could be wrong.

When I was a paramedic, the only rape victim I ever dealt with was haymakered. The whole side of her face was black and blue from what she said was one punch.

In some ways I think the combat sport best prepares you. "Standing up from the ground is the first priority" but you can't get up unless the guy on top of you stops pressuring in, mostly out of fear or pain or submission. You have to be able to hurt him to back him up. Fear of you standing up can bring him in. It is all one thing, really.

People mistake the fun of staying on the ground and "playing guard" for the strategy, but really the whole act of rolling from guard is a drill for self defense, like when a cat falls on its back and pulls its claws out.

I think gloves are important for self defense training. It can take a long time to learn how to "fight well" and it might be impossible to learn how to close the gap without boxing - but people who box for MONTHS become capable of "tying up" with people much better than them. Closing the gap becomes easy. Boxing a little goes a long way for a jujitsu man learning self defense.

Last edited:
If Haymaker defence isn't lesson number one you fucked up in teaching your students how to defend themselves from the majority of attacks that aren't sexual. Well apart from stressing running.

Getting up from the ground is number two, running sprints and around the block is number three, positional control number four. In order of priorities.......
Also if your attacker uses any straight punches run like shit you aren't beating him he has likely trained stand up for 2-3 years cause for the first two years people don't punch straight without flaring elbows.

Well that is my opinion at least I could be wrong.

why on fucking earth would you run because someone is throwing straight punches? do straight punches stop a double leg or make you unchokeable.

Good Posts. What should be stressed is that all Jiujitsu schools should periodically train with strikes, so that it keeps you on point with bad positions. If you do this simple training, all that self defense techs aren't necessarily needed. You will develop a natural defense to most scenarios.

why on fucking earth would you run because someone is throwing straight punches? do straight punches stop a double leg or make you unchokeable.

You aren't going to stop someone that good at striking from hitting you. Straight punches are a indicator of skill.
Of course they probably can't stop a double but why risk it when running stops the courts from being involved or you getting hurt at all?
And I was talking from a perspective of 3 week crash course or they never come back again after the first week. Giving a person at least one skill to survive the most common attack when they first come is my goal.

Again I could be completely wrong but this is my thinking and what my priorities are.

You aren't going to stop someone that good at striking from hitting you. Straight punches are a indicator of skill.
Of course they probably can't stop a double but why risk it when running stops the courts from being involved or you getting hurt at all?
And I was talking from a perspective of 3 week crash course or they never come back again after the first week. Giving a person at least one skill to survive the most common attack when they first come is my goal.

Again I could be completely wrong but this is my thinking and what my priorities are.

well, under your logic, you always should run as fast as you can, since that is the safest way, of course you shouldnt pick up fights, but just because somoene can strike doesnt mean he can grapple.

a 3 week crash course is nothing in grappling terms you are a no one with zero grappling skills but those mother nature gave to you.

All you guys have valid points. I'm not hear arguing. I wrote this because I got into a discussion on another forum about this topic. Hence my post. I'm new here so not trying to create any hate. I only thought some would be interested in what an actual academy instructor like myself thinks of current SD programs at any school compared to the Gracie Combatives taught at a Gracie Jiujitsu school.
Sounds like you just suck at marketing. just an fyi they are in business to make money they are not a non profit organization . so 2 brothers that are good at jiu jitsu and one that is really good on selling their program. WTF is the problem. I started with their association 20 years ago I feel pretty good to roll with anyone. And do often
Results are pretty good if it is just a scam

Last edited:
I feel like there are actual "self defense" scams that are waaaaaaaay worse than combatives. Some of the TKD and "karate" schools near me have people who train for years and wouldn't be able to defend themselves at all in a scrap.

The Gracie Academy marketing is obnoxious though.

Sounds like you just suck at marketing. just an fyi they are in business to make money they are not a non profit organization . so 2 brothers that are good at jiu jitsu and one that is really good on selling their program. WTF is the problem. I started with their association 20 years ago I feel pretty good to roll with anyone. And do often
Results are pretty good if it is just a scam

But are they really, the best? One reporter, wants to know.

A lie told once remains a lie but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth.

To many in those Cult like academies, this lie is not a lie, but a very strong belief. Ever tried having a convo with a member from those Self Defense Only academies? It's like arguing with a Jehovahs Witness...

I agreed they lied and exaggerated a lot, but the system clearly works

MMA is closer to real self defense if anything.

Yeah, if self defense includes following up on staggered opponents with bad intentions and preventing their escape while giving the appearance of lethal intent, then sure.

Last edited:

i think he would just curl up into an assball

Yeah, if self defense includes following up on staggered opponents with bad intentions and preventing their escape while giving the appearance of lethal intent, then sure,

and trying to keep distance and no kicks to the head of a downed opponent and etc

SHOCKING SELF DEFENCE SECRET REVEALED BY MATH TEACHER

Back