Grappler's Quest,

Ice 9 Cobra

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice their Facebook post?

Thank you to all of the amazing men, women and children who helped build the sport of Submission Grappling including coaches, instructors, competitors, sponsors, loyal staff, fans and our amazing family and friends. Thank you again for helping us build a dream and supporting our events and causes. We hope we inspired, motivated and entertained you as much as you have for us these 16 years. The sport of submission grappling will live forever with YOU, The Quest in LIFE is Yours. We wish you all to be well, happy, peaceful and meet with success in whatever journeys or challenges which may lie ahead for you in life, personally or professionally, on or off the mats. THANK YOU and God Bless you all - Sincerely, Brian Cimins, CEO, The Grapplers Company, Inc.

10710912_10152376122462960_2086817748194433265_n.jpg

They did this before in 2013 during Cimin's Ahayahuasca adventures, but is the final death of the tournament? As pissed off as I get during every GQ event, I would honestly miss the organization if it was truly gone.

I don't understand why an organization like this would ever just go away. You would think it would make way more sense to sell it off.

I don't understand why an organization like this would ever just go away. You would think it would make way more sense to sell it off.

This

You would think the name would be worth something to someone looking to start up comps, plus the new Metamoris card thread was bigger in the heavies than on f12 grappling seems to be at least cracking into the casual market

Hopefully Five fills the void, I know they stole GQs head ref awhile ago

IBJJF is bigger than ever and a lot of new promotions are growing. Shame GQ couldn't hang around. I used to think of them as the sole second tier (IBJJF being #1) promotion in the US. From second to gone, I guess.

sucks. just another east coast circuit disappearing

No wonder they wouldn't roll over my registration to the next tournament...

Weren't they just offering unlimited registrations for like $900?

That sucks to see another tournament go away. Northeast grapplers basically only have GQ and NAGA.

That sucks to see another tournament go away. Northeast grapplers basically only have GQ and NAGA.

nah man, Thegoodfight, mission submission, US Grappling all still around.

Copa nova is two weeks from now in VA also.

I don't know that GQ ever came to DFW so I never got to see one of their events.

IBJJF is bigger than ever

I'm not sure this is actually true. One of my friends is pretty involved with the IBJJF, and he says that registrations are starting to go down relative to previous levels at a lot of IBJJF events. Maybe not Pans and Worlds yet, but things like American Nationals, etc.

They are running a ton of events, but they are spread a lot thinner now. Competition from other tournament circuits is really heating up. Plus you have several top level grapplers now saying they consider the World Pro more important than the Mundials. I think both Rodolfo and Keenan have said so on record now, and I've heard some other guys making the same comments offline.

IBJJF is still the biggest player out there, but I think their growth has leveled off and would not be surprised if they start shrinking considerably in the next five years or so.

Slightly off topic, but I have always wondered this. Is it difficult to set up small local tournaments? Why don't gyms host tournaments in their own schools and encourage their own students to sign up as well as local students in the area.

Is there a reason why this is not common? I figure it would save on rental costs of a venue.

Slightly off topic, but I have always wondered this. Is it difficult to set up small local tournaments? Why don't gyms host tournaments in their own schools and encourage their own students to sign up as well as local students in the area.

Is there a reason why this is not common? I figure it would save on rental costs of a venue.

It is actually pretty difficult to do. That's why it is not more common.

Once you learn how to do it, it gets easier. But there is a steep learning curve. Most start up tournaments are total disasters. And by the time the promoters have learned enough to fix their mistakes, the brand of the tournament is usually already ruined from the previous failures.

The logisitics of running an event smoothly can make a mess of even bigger promotions. It's not uncommon in my area for well known promotions with 6-8 mat zones to still run hours late.

Back