Economy Great Article Breaking Down the US Housing Crisis & Why Government Isn't Doing Anything About It

that isn't what the data shows, though. Red states are less desirable to live in = less demand = more affordable. That doesn't equate to showing that Republicans are better equipped to handling the situation.

why can't you answer the question???? this is fucking insane man. Third time and I'm moving on - what are the republican solutions to housing? What policies? What are they going to do? Whining about democrats and lying about data isn't an answer. How much of a baby brained moron are you? This is a direct question - what is the republican policy solution to the housing crisis????

I
can go to Joe Bidens website and immediately locate his housing plans. Plans he will never pass because of republicans. Why can't you do the same and link me the republican plan for addressing housing??
If I had to steelman the GOP policy argument here its that they support YIMBY reforms to make it easier to allow the free market to meet housing demand with supply. Of course many Republicans are NIMBYs but to the extent there's any real solution from the right its YIMBYism.

Are you for or against YIMBY reforms?

Last edited:
If I had to steelman the GOP policy argument here its that they support YIMBY reforms to make it easier to allow the free market to meet housing demand with supply. Of course many Republicans are NIMBYs but to the extent there's any real solution from the right its YIMBYism.

Are you for or against YMBY reforms?
For of course. I'm all for new housing developments.

Are you for or against YMBY reforms?

I dont think I've ever seen any significant amount of Republicans in favor of diminishing the political power of large planned community developers, or things like large-scale hedge fund purchases. You can be in favor of "more development" while still being one of those people obsessed with property value who despises the concept of middle housing. They tend to hate mixed dense housing as an idea.

I dont think I've ever seen any significant amount of Republicans in favor of diminishing the political power of large planned community developers, or things like large-scale hedge fund purchases.
I don't think either of those things is critically important right now but I could be convinced otherwise.
You can be in favor of "more development" while still being one of those people obsessed with property value who despises the concept of middle housing. They tend to hate mixed dense housing as an idea.
Sure, as I said many Republicans are NIMBYs and we have one ITT who disagrees with those things
NIMBY 4 LYFE
But I'm saying that to the extent that there is a Republican solution that has a chance of succeeding its from the YIMBY coalition which includes both center-right and center-left types.

@Islam Imamate I appreciate your attempt to steelman their position. Can you link me anything from Trump, or another major Republican politician, or from the RNC, that resembles the positions you're steelmanning for them? I don't want to do a "housing policy of the gaps" type of thing. Like just inferring what it could be. I don't hear a single word from the Republican party about how they're going to address this.

I don't think either of those things is critically important right now but I could be convinced otherwise.

Sure, as I said many Republicans are NIMBYs and we have one ITT who disagrees with those things

But I'm saying that to the extent that there is a Republican solution that has a chance of succeeding its from the YIMBY coalition which includes both center-right and center-left types.
I would be in favor of aggressive deregulation of new construction.

New coding would be a part of that for high density apartments and condos.

There is a lot we can do.

Well, you can keep stepping over human feces on the way to work if you want. I'd rather the money spent on cleaning it and jailing them to give them somewhere else to be. Lol
I don’t live in a shithole city. We voted against this kind of filth.

NIMBY wins again.

post some pics with you flipping the bird in them of your whole apartment and surrounding areas man...

I'm guessing its not nice.
Pre- or post haircut?

I just trimmed myself up but the collick is driving me nuts and I am about to shave it down come hell or high water.

Reading and writing are tough business. Don't be too hard on yourself
Says you the former drug addict, aspiring pro fighter according to your own thread in the Fight discussion forums.
Maybe you shouldn't of gotten high and invested your money. Yes welcome to the party, glad you woke up and realized there are outside forces working against our common interests. Maybe one day you'll come to the realization that neither party give a fuck about you. But, but Republicans.

Guess you won't be a homeowner, don't be too hard on yourself.

Says you the former drug addict, aspiring pro fighter according to your own thread in the Fight discussion forums.
Maybe you shouldn't of gotten high and invested your money. Yes welcome to the party, glad you woke up and realized there are outside forces working against our common interests. Maybe one day you'll come to the realization that neither party give a fuck about you. But, but Republicans.

Guess you won't be a homeowner, don't be too hard on yourself.
Former drug addict??? Lmaoo whaaaaat? Only thing I've ever been addicted to is this sticky icky. Reach harder buddy 🤣

Every single person I know who bought a home through HUD have all lost their homes either by foreclosure or forced to short sale and they all have the same cause: financial irresponsibility.

This thread isn't about my personal quest to buy a home. It's a breakdown and analysis of the national housing situation. Nice attempt at a thread derail dipshit.
lol there you go hollering again.

Austin Bans City Camping

I can verify the streets are no longer covered in shit.
Ahh yes, criminalization of existence which levies criminal charges and fines for people who have the audacity to lay down in public, and accompanied by your Governor signing a statewide ban, which punishes cities who dont enforce it. Good ole small Government conservatism. I saw the City tried to designate areas where these people could even go, which failed because of NIMBY-ism as well. And now instead of offering housing, you're paying Cops to move them around in circles, issuing fines they cant pay, and paying for Court proceedings they cant show up to, the issuance of arrest warrants they wont know about, and once they're arrested, they'll be fed and housed anyway.

Seems like as of last year any progress with that fixing the problem is essentially gone:

"An Austin resident of almost 20 years said he's noticed more homeless people in some areas.

He asked to remain anonymous.

"I feel like around city hall and Cesar Chavez kind of cleaned up some, but more recently you kind of are seeing people sleep on the sidewalks and benches, kind of more common over the past couple of months."

Over a three-month period, the Alliance said it saw about 100 more people displaced.

"We did see a 25 percent increase in the number of people living unsheltered between the May 2023 count and the end of July count," said Brice.

As of September 2023, the Alliance said 584 people in downtown need shelter, but open beds are hard to come by."

Personally I prefer Houston's approach, they did this weird-@ss thing where they just...gave them homes:

"Our natural instinct when we see homelessness increasing is to hire more outreach workers and to build more shelter beds," said Mandy Chapman Semple, the architect of Houston's success story. She now advises other cities on how to replicate it, among them Dallas, New Orleans, and Oklahoma City. "The idea that if you have no permanent place to live, that you're also going to be able to transform and tackle complex mental health issues, addiction issues, complex financial issues? It's just unrealistic."

The US has one of the best home price to income ratio when it comes to housing in the developed world. Their most desirable cities have shortages, but as technology shifts the work force, there should be less reasons why populations can't move to other areas to build them up. Which is already happening.

US home ownership rate has been consistent since the 60's

133e83316c70914236b9170bfba73515.png

First time owner rate by age has been consistent for 40 years

-1x-1.png

Over all ownership age rate is up but that's due to aging population and immigration demographics

Units have kept up with population growth overall in the US.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F384d5b23-6fed-4663-bae7-a8fc7265b1e0_1278x660.png

Housing in the US definitely isn't a monolith. Most desirable cities face supply shortages coupled with small household dwellers. Other areas are among the most affordable in the developed world. The second issue is changing demographics of what a household is. Less married people, less people with kids, older singles living longer.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2af96f79-81dd-43a5-86e9-027902aabedf_698x452.png

So my question is what country are trigger leftist going to move to that doesn't have housing issues?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back