Economy Great Article Breaking Down the US Housing Crisis & Why Government Isn't Doing Anything About It

@Sinister

I had a long reply and then my browser froze so I’ll settle for this:

The city had a 23 year old ordinance that was overturned by an authoritarian mayor and the city voiced its say and reversed the rogue mayor.

The city was one of the most pedestrian friendly cities ever and it turned into a shithole in a matter of months. Of course the only place the mayor didn’t allow camping was city hall.

You had beautiful parks and sidewalks littered with shit, bottles of piss, unconscious people and needles.

The people said no.

The people also said yes to MILLILONS OF DOLLARS of aide which the council has mismanaged. We have locations already bought and paid for in Austin that the city refuses to move forward with bringing the homeless into and it’s not NIMBY issues. We have locations just outside the city also bought and paid for.

I live here.

It went from being safe and beautiful to walk to stepping over shit in a matter of months.

Thank god people actually have a say versus ONE authoritarian mayor.

Solutions is to build more, but the free market doesn’t want that to get done.

That is some seriously evil and manipulative shit man. 1/4 of home sounds impossible to me and I'm trying to confirm it. Are you saying that's accurate??

The reason I ask is because I've heard many people on the left on this website say that corporate ownership of homes is not a very big problem But if it's a quarter of homes in Utah. That would be a massive problem for them wouldn't it?
Like whom? Source?

@Sinister

I had a long reply and then my browser froze so I’ll settle for this:

The city had a 23 year old ordinance that was overturned by an authoritarian mayor and the city voiced its say and reversed the rogue mayor.

The city was one of the most pedestrian friendly cities ever and it turned into a shithole in a matter of months. Of course the only place the mayor didn’t allow camping was city hall.

You had beautiful parks and sidewalks littered with shit, bottles of piss, unconscious people and needles.

The people said no.

The people also said yes to MILLILONS OF DOLLARS of aide which the council has mismanaged. We have locations already bought and paid for in Austin that the city refuses to move forward with bringing the homeless into and it’s not NIMBY issues. We have locations just outside the city also bought and paid for.

I live here.

It went from being safe and beautiful to walk to stepping over shit in a matter of months.

Thank god people actually have a say versus ONE authoritarian mayor.

Yeah, that doesnt really argue against anything I posted. You didnt fix the homeless problem, you just re-criminalized people existing and are paying Cops to move them in circles again. My City is doing the same sh*t. When Formula 1 came here they cleared all the homeless from the track area, especially the tunnels. Now they live around the corner from my house, and all I see every day is Cops forcing them from one street to the next, it's stupid. Housing First initiatives work.

Amazing that our government allows this kind of b******* to happen then.... I've got lots of family in Utah and I know at least three people that make $80 to $90,000 a year who can't afford a home!!!

If you're in California or New York, that doesn't sound like a lot of money, but the median income in Utah like under $50,000..... 90000.0 is upper middle class
Yup. Average home price here in Salt Lake is about 600k. That's capitalism baby. Everything is a commodity to be bought, sold and traded for profit. Even the housing, food and water you need to survive.

Yeah, that doesnt really argue against anything I posted. You didnt fix the homeless problem, you just re-criminalized people existing and are paying Cops to move them in circles again. My City is doing the same sh*t. When Formula 1 came here they cleared all the homeless from the track area, especially the tunnels. Now they live around the corner from my house, and all I see every day is Cops forcing them from one street to the next, it's stupid. Housing First initiatives work.
I said we fixed the shit on the sidewalk issue.

We spend millions on the housing issue and mismanage the funds.

We are actively paying to house them, but the city is inept.

Sleeping, shitting and shooting up on sidewalks isn’t a solution.

Would you be happier if the cops left them around the corner from you versus move them on?

Corporatism runs deep in both parties of course, and these partisan games you play give them a useful smokescreen. Now do you honestly think the Pelosi types don't have tons of assets in real estate investment? Politics is just a way to profit for them and they play to win. Get ready, because it won't be long before the economy hits a critical mass of shittiness like the rest of the Anglos.

My cousin just shared a statistic with me since they live in Utah and said that one quarter of homes are owned by Black Rock and most of them are sitting empty and I keep hearing that's not a real problem, but that sounds pretty serious. What do you think about that? TS?

When I asked why it was that they would let them sit empty, they said it's because it drives up the prices of other homes they're selling.
This is stupid. First, BlackRock owns exactly zero (0) homes anywhere. The Blackstone Group owns some (around 80,000, IIRC), but no where near a quarter of them in any particular state. And they don't own them to keep them empty.

The likes of Jack V Savage and Rod1 are not on the left. They are socially left, and economically center-right. Leftists, scream about corporate home ownership day and night.
Rod1 is center right on economics, but I'm not. And leftists who screech about corporate ownership are morons.

If I had to steelman the GOP policy argument here its that they support YIMBY reforms to make it easier to allow the free market to meet housing demand with supply. Of course many Republicans are NIMBYs but to the extent there's any real solution from the right its YIMBYism.

Are you for or against YIMBY reforms?
My observation is that it kind of cuts against partisanship. Lots of rightist (NIMBY) Dems and lots of leftist (YIMBY) Republicans and vice versa on the issue. I think there's a more-organized YIMBY movement from the left, which kind of makes me nervous. If it stays low-key and not partisan-coded, YIMBYism has a better chance to prevail nationwide. Though it is more needed in left-leaning areas at the moment.

Yup. Average home price here in Salt Lake is about 600k. That's capitalism baby. Everything is a commodity to be bought, sold and traded for profit. Even the housing, food and water you need to survive.

Okay so you live in salt lake City? It's amazing how many people Post Utah as an example of decently priced homes in a big city on sherdog. It blows my mind. Jack Savage did once too. He posted a map where homes were decently priced and Utah was listed among them lol.

Okay so you live in salt lake City? It's amazing how many people Post Utah as an example of decently priced homes in a big city on sherdog. It blows my mind. Jack Savage did once too. He posted a map where homes were decently priced and Utah was listed among them lol.
Jack is a wealthy man that lives in a bubble. He literally has no idea what life is really like for middle class/working class people. That's why his analysis often seems so completely disconnected from the reality that the rest of us live in. He literally cannot relate.

600k homes might sound like a bargain if you're living in LA/NY/SF/Seattle making 200/300/400/500k+. But when you're an average Utahn making average Utahn salaries, 600k is insane. It's a hair less Than 12x my slightly above average salary in corporate management. Affordable homes are 3-5x your salary.

My cousin just shared a statistic with me since they live in Utah and said that one quarter of homes are owned by Black Rock and most of them are sitting empty and I keep hearing that's not a real problem, but that sounds pretty serious. What do you think about that? TS?

When I asked why it was that they would let them sit empty, they said it's because it drives up the prices of other homes they're selling.
Curious to see how this works out for them. They must be riding out inflation. They must have a huge marketing team.

Empty homes cost money. Property taxes, home repairs, electricity, maybe a alarm system, then you have to deal with squatters, animals, insects and termites and natural catastrophes. Heating costs, etc.

Every single person I know who bought a home through HUD have all lost their homes either by foreclosure or forced to short sale and they all have the same cause: financial irresponsibility.
I make my living buying these foreclosed hud homes, fix them, then sell them. Sometimes to another HUD occupant.

Curious to see how this works out for them. They must be riding out inflation. They must have a huge marketing team.

Empty homes cost money. Property taxes, home repairs, electricity, maybe a alarm system, then you have to deal with squatters, animals, insects and termites and natural catastrophes. Heating costs, etc.
I was asking for confirmation on that on here anyway and my cousin has not sent me the links on that info yet.

Jack is a wealthy man that lives in a bubble. He literally has no idea what life is really like for middle class/working class people. That's why his analysis often seems so completely disconnected from the reality that the rest of us live in. He literally cannot relate.

600k homes might sound like a bargain if you're living in LA/NY/SF/Seattle making 200/300/400/500k+. But when you're an average Utahn making average Utahn salaries, 600k is insane. It's a hair less Than 12x my slightly above average salary in corporate management. Affordable homes are 3-5x your salary.
yeah... you know your dealing with a hack article when they post Utah as affordable for housing.

I’ve agreed with both you and @Sinister this weekend.

I’ve now turned into a progressive liberal.

Back