Great Wrestling in BJJ

Unfortunately, a lot of the really heavily TD oriented guys in BJJ are not nearly as good at submissions as other styles of players.

No one mentioning Rodolfo?

Granted he mostly does gi but, from the few matches I saw, he was winning the standup game in all of his matches at ADCC2015...

Roberto Abreu was on his countries olympic wrestling team before going into bjj; he hits a wicked awesome modified firemans carry regularly enough :)

Unfortunately, a lot of the really heavily TD oriented guys in BJJ are not nearly as good at submissions as other styles of players.
In no gi, especially, it's often harder to finish a guy you're cross-facing to death than if they have a chance to scramble or try to attack.

How do you know he wrestled before bjj.
The story I have heard him tell in a interview is that he was training bjj heard about wrestling, asked his friend who was running the wrestling federation to get him a spot in the national (as the qualifiers where already over) and won it.
That's correct, he got into wrestling via BJJ, I was unclear which part of the quote you were taking issue with.

"Roberto Abreu was on his countries olympic wrestling team before going into bjj" <- this part

It's technically incorrect, as he wrestled at the Pan Ams and did not make the Olympic team, but you know what he meant.

"Roberto Abreu was on his countries olympic wrestling team
Which he was, if we take "olympic wrestling" to mean the style (or group of styles) rather than the event; which is commonly done.
before going into bjj" <- this part
But not this bit, since it post-dates his involvement in that latter grappling sport.

Thanks so much for taking the time to engage in this productive clarification.

It's technically incorrect, as he wrestled at the Pan Ams and did not make the Olympic team, but you know what he meant.

Whats your take on this? Just curious. I wrestled for USA at the Pan American Championships. I would never say "I was on my countries Olympic wrestling team." However, I would consider myself an Olympic wrestler. I would never say I was an Olympian.

Whats your take on this? Just curious. I wrestled for USA at the Pan American Championships. I would never say "I was on my countries Olympic wrestling team." However, I would consider myself an Olympic wrestler. I would never say I was an Olympian.

I think that's absolutely fair to call yourself that. You did train at the Olympic Training Center.

A more correct term IMO would be Olympic level wrestler, but really it's just semantics. 99.9% of people wouldn't even understand the difference.

Look at these same guys trying to talk down on Rustam Chsiev again. You don't beat Matt Aroyo and Raphael Lovato Jr. to take bronze at adcc, or beat DJ Jackson and Matheus Diniz on your way to the ebi finals by not training at a 'legit' place.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s betta recognize.

Look at these same guys trying to talk down on Rustam Chsiev again. You don't beat Matt Aroyo and Raphael Lovato Jr. to take bronze at adcc, or beat DJ Jackson and Matheus Diniz on your way to the ebi finals by not training at a 'legit' place.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s betta recognize.

hes just a freaking fucking beast lol.. It was hilarious how he was manhandling guys standing up.

I still hoping someone can give me and inside why he was gripping in spider guard the way he was gripping.

ah sorry dudes, I had been led to believe that abreu was a wrestler before he was a juijitero

Rustam has even beaten Cyborg Abreu which doesn't change he relies on his wrestling (which he is technical at) and scrambles.
He used to do a lot of white belt mistakes which he got away with due to his unreal scrambling. Got triangled at some older ADCC by Lovato before while doing a stupid closed guard opening.
When watching him I always "Wow, he got away with this shit" rather then "Neat, it's a move I'm going to practice"

Watch ? Is that a move someone training at a legit place would do?

Last edited:
Thats awesome thanks a lot, I'm glad you mentioned about the differnt styles thats very important. I'm sure itll probablly help me figure out what my style will be.

You don't figure out what your style will be beforehand. It evolves in a certain direction and you (and a good coach) channel it into an overall game. Picking the type of grappler you want to be, and then trying to tailor your game to it, is a recipe for frustration and futility.

It would really be fun to see how Rustam would roll if he trained at a serious, technically oriented team (like at Art of Jiu Jitsu or under Caio Terra).

He does. They're just not a jiu jitsu team. But he still trains in a serious and technically oriented way.

Back