Greatest fighter of the 90's?

Theme of 1990s was Brazil vs the world.

"Brazil vs The world"started when rickson challenged Antonio inoki in Japan while the original UFC was being prepared. It ended when sakuraba defeated royler Gracie by submission in 1999.

The first man who beat Brazilian black belt was Igor zinoviev. Then vovchanchyn. 3rd man who beat Brazilian black belt was don frye.

The biggest mma match of the decade definitely was nobuhiko takada vs rickson Gracie (1997. 1998).

The most dominant mma guy in the era was tom erikson who remained undefeated until the next century.

It is not easy to single out a fighter out of the legend roster but if I had to pick one without nonsense shit, it would be pat militech.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/d...-part-9-bjj-during-the-vale-tudo-era.3826197/

Euclydes Pereira [Luta Livre/Karate/Boxe/Capoeira] & Ivan Gomes [Luta Livre/Judo]
can be both considered the Gracies´ nemeses.

Euclydes Pereira :

- 6 fights with Waldemar Santana [adopted by the Gracies]:
5 victories & 1 draw

- 1 fight with Carlson Gracie :
1 victory

Ivan Gomes :

- 1 fight with Waldemar Santana:
1 victory

- 1 fight with Carlson Gracie:
1 draw

And Tadeu got the win vs Pitanguy while Huas got the draw vs Pinduka, 1984.

On a side note, Big Cat was too ducked, unfortunately...and only 8 fights.
Moreover, his draw against Busta is kindah problematic...

Big Cat vs Busta.png

Last edited:
Some honorable mentions I haven't seen here yet:

Severn
Coleman
Rutten
Funaki

Peter and Ernesto

That Rickson over Royce thing is bad MMAth. Royce was great as a pioneer. But no one has nominated him greatest fighter. Rickson doesn't become the greatest fighter for beating someone in sparring who wasn't the greatest fighter.

jean_claude_van_damme_01-640x472.jpg

Don't forget vitor. He changed the game when he came to the ufc.

That Rickson over Royce thing is bad MMAth. Royce was great as a pioneer. But no one has nominated him greatest fighter. Rickson doesn't become the greatest fighter for beating someone in sparring who wasn't the greatest fighter.

While not the best people dont give Royce enough credit. He beat:

Shamrock (and sort of drew with him once)
Severn
Jason Deluciax2 (who beat Funaki who beat Bas Rutten)

If Royce were only fighting guys his size he would have been near unstoppable back than.

As someone who was an adult and in the MA world in the 1990's, its Rickson Gracie hands down. He was universally feared and everybody, but the dumb, avoided him. Why do you think Takada challenged him, twice? Because even in a loss Takada would come out a hero. He didn't choose Bas or Shamrock, because they were nobodies.

Its not opinion, its historical fact. Read any mag in the 90's and its Rickson #1, and probably Funaki #2. Again that is why Colosseum 2000 was one of the biggest MMA events in history. From people actually living in the 90's its Rickson. For those looking back with the help of Sherdog records and hearsay don't know?

Igor and Bas were my first thoughts. But Frank is legit as well.

According to Ken Shamrock it was.....Ken Shamrock. He says he was the best/most well rounded guy in the world. And a finisher. He made a good point.

As someone who was an adult and in the MA world in the 1990's, its Rickson Gracie hands down. He was universally feared and everybody, but the dumb, avoided him. Why do you think Takada challenged him, twice? Because even in a loss Takada would come out a hero. He didn't choose Bas or Shamrock, because they were nobodies.

Its not opinion, its historical fact. Read any mag in the 90's and its Rickson #1, and probably Funaki #2. Again that is why Colosseum 2000 was one of the biggest MMA events in history. From people actually living in the 90's its Rickson. For those looking back with the help of Sherdog records and hearsay don't know?

FOH with this condescending trash. You sound dumb as hell. Don't try to act like your opinion is a fact. Rickson didn't choose GOOD FIGHTERS because he was the one who feared LOSING. PRIDE offered him millions to fight Sakuraba and he turned it down because Sakuraba would have beat his ass and he knew it. He purposely avoided all the good fighters and his resume/record is full of nobodies. His only good wins are flawed in some way. He has 2 good wins on his record out of 11 fights, Funaki and Nakai, and both are flawed.

1. Funaki was past his prime. Rickson was his last fight until his brief stint in the mid-late 2000s when he came back.

2. We all know the story with Nakai... Vale Tudo Japan 1995, 1 night tournament. Yuki Nakai vs. Gerard Gordeau... Gordeau eye gouges Nakai in that fight, permanently blinding him in one of his eyes. And I believe he was blind/near blind in both eyes temporarily during the event, but one eye was able to make a recovery. Nakai still won the fight, then won another fight. Then faced Rickson in the finals, and lost. Now, typically, I have a somewhat differing opinion than most in a one-night tournament scenario... If there's a hypothetical 4 man one night tournament and one guy KOs their opponent in the first minute of the fight and the other fight is a grueling back and forth decision, resulting in the finals being won by the guy who got the 1 minute KO, then I don't discredit a win like that because he was able to win his earlier fight taking less damage. But in this instance, it's different. I don't look at it the same. I don't remember if eye gouging was against the rules at this event, but this was back when there were no/minimal rules. So I'm not sure. But either way, here, Nakai was damaged in the final fight because of a *potentially* illegal and dirty tactic and not just from having fights earlier. This isn't the same thing to me. So Rickson basically beat a blind man with an infected eye.

You bought into the Gracie propaganda of the 90s. Good job. But your opinion is not better than anyone else's.

Depends...Are we talkin´about potential/skills or résumé/accomplishments?

Back