Media GSP blames UFC for not making Anderson Superfight

I've always blamed the UFC.

Seems like one thing the UFC never wanted to cave on was doing it a catch weight. I really don't get why not or why any fans take that stance also. What is so wrong with two great champs coming together for a great fight with each fighter giving or taking a little on the weight. There isn't a situation that doesn't hold up divisions so who cares.

Money is also the other big reason. At that time UFC could've easily paid GSP n Silva 10M each with out a problem. That was 1M buy PPV on the low end. Chances are it would've done mid 1's.

Seems like one thing the UFC never wanted to cave on was doing it a catch weight. I really don't get why not or why any fans take that stance also. What is so wrong with two great champs coming together for a great fight with each fighter giving or taking a little on the weight. There isn't a situation that doesn't hold up divisions so who cares.

Money is also the other big reason. At that time UFC could've easily paid GSP n Silva 10M each with out a problem. That was 1M buy PPV on the low end. Chances are it would've done mid 1's.

Gsp simply didn't want the smoke. Clearly got beat to an I ch of his life by hendrix. Never avenged the loss. Worse he bailed and fled the sport only returning after they were irrelevant in the standings.

timestamped

He says that he wanted the fight at a catchweight, probably 178 lbs, and also drug testing. He said the UFC were unwilling to accomodate those requests. He also said they were going to pay him his current contract instead of paying him more for the superfight. Overall, he blames the UFC for not making this fight.

A lot of great stuff in this interview, but I thought this would be of most interest to the forum.

man...

here-we-go-again-disappointed-84qmr3vz6d4hdef6.gif

I love GSP as much as the next cunt, but it was quite clear at the time that he wanted no part of Anderson.
It was too risky.

Prime Andy was a menace, and in a weight class above, so tbh it's not really unreasonable for GSP to want to simply remain at WW and just destroy everyone in that division instead.

Back then the fighters had their own sponsorships though right? Or did they already crack down on that before GSP vs Anderson became possible?
They did have their own sponsors..

Uncle Dana nixed that..

I love GSP as much as the next cunt, but it was quite clear at the time that he wanted no part of Anderson.
It was too risky.

Prime Andy was a menace, and in a weight class above, so tbh it's not really unreasonable for GSP to want to simply remain at WW and just destroy everyone in that division instead.

He made excuses in a interview ages ago. Dana said he didn't want it. Silva was much bigger and devastating. No crotch sniffing. No play it safe or coasting. Silva by brooootal ko.

There are a lot of retards here who insist on weight division matches over cross division super fights.

Gsp simply didn't want the smoke. Clearly got beat to an I ch of his life by hendrix. Never avenged the loss. Worse he bailed and fled the sport only returning after they were irrelevant in the standings.

GSP wanted stricter testing for the fight but UFC refused. Perhaps they knew Silva was on the juiiiiice.

The only part who offered a catchweight was Silva through his agent.
GSP was not interested anyways.

But he made the fight vs Penn who was LW champ happen without any complaints

He didn't want that fight. LOL At you with this testing bullshit using it as an excuse, back then nobody talked about it. They just let the comissions do the testing. GSP never mentioned testing about this fight and retired several years later, he just ducked that fight: That's ok though, but he can't come here saying it was UFC's fault when he was terrified of Anderson

Actually gsp was pushing for better testing before anyone else. I’ve never loved him but I clearly remember him wanting USADA testing years before it happened

He also said they were going to pay him his current contract instead of paying him more for the superfight.

GSP doesn't have the history of being intentionally deceitful like Dana does, so I'm thinking he has a much higher chance of telling the truth on this.

Not getting an increase in pay alone should be considered a dealbreaker. Sure it would have been a 1+ Million PPV seller so that bonus would have increased for GSP & Silva, that's a fraction of what they would have deserved and a small fraction what the UFC would have received.

Although I'd love to have seen the fight, I understand why it didn't happen.

I think, and I could be wrong, but maybe the fact that Jones and Anderson themselves never really expressed interest in the fight is why people don't really care. GSP and Anderson was definitely something that seemed like it was on the table for years

It probably didnt help but it was mostly due to:
1- Both GSP and Silva belong to the same generation, became champs the same year and during the same period (2006-2013)
2- GSP and Silva were closer in size than Silva - Jones. As a matter of fact, Silva was a former WW champ who actually competed at WW the very same year he became MW champ in 2006

Back