• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GSP could only do 8 pull-ups and bench press the 55lbs dumbbells

don't ask

Special Secretary of Shitposting
@red
Reaction score
The relevant portion of the video is time-stamped, but it starts around 3:33.

(If the site is too shitty for youtube videos, the video is called Strength & Conditioning Rotuine of an MMA Legend (Analysis) by the channel PowerTraining.)

Apparently GSP just did general fitness training until he started working with a guy named Jonathan Chaimberg. At this time, he could only do 8 pull-ups and could only bench press the 55lbs dumbbells. I thought this must be very early in GSP's career, but he had already taken the belt off Hughes and was the WW champ when he had these stats!

After working with Chaimberg, GSP could do 8 pull-ups with 80lbs hanging off of him, 3 pull-ups with 100lbs, and could bench press the 120lbs dumbbells.

It's a really good video and I had never heard of Chaimberg before.

EDIT: I wanted to add that a good portion of the video analyses GSP's training footage and shows what a complete athletic freak GSP was. The guy compares GSP doing plyometrics to professional jumpers doing the exact same exercise and GSP's body is performing on their level.

Last edited:
Remember when GSP claimed he didn't lift weights, and then everyone saw a bunch of videos of him lifting, and he changed it to "ok, I lift weights, but it's only for looks and marketability"?
I don't remember that first part

Reactions: lsa
Not gonna lie pull-ups are still a massive weakness of mine (220 lbs) after more than 13 years of lifting. Unweighted I think I might be able to do 10 in one set at the most. Imma listen to that viddy during work later. Cheers TS

My pull up game used to be sick. I can probably bang out ten right now though.

The relevant portion of the video is time-stamped, but it starts around 3:33.

(If the site is too shitty for youtube videos, the video is called Strength & Conditioning Rotuine of an MMA Legend (Analysis) by the channel PowerTraining.)

Apparently GSP just did general fitness training until he started working with a guy named Jonathan Chaimberg. At this time, he could only do 8 pull-ups and could only bench press the 55lbs dumbbells. I thought this must be very early in GSP's career, but he had already taken the belt off Hughes and was the WW champ when he had these stats!

After working with Chaimberg, GSP could do 8 pull-ups with 80lbs hanging off of him, 3 pull-ups with 100lbs, and could bench press the 120lbs dumbbells.

It's a really good video and I had never heard of Chaimberg before.

I dont believe this for a second, this is the GSP that won the title

1000001819.png

I have considerably smaller muscles and I can bench press 65 with ease. This is typical trainer promotion BS.

You have to remember...He's damn near 42 years old with a high mileage body. He's nowhere near his physical prime, give him a break.

Remember when GSP claimed he didn't lift weights, and then everyone saw a bunch of videos of him lifting, and he changed it to "ok, I lift weights, but it's only for looks and marketability"?

Hughes claimed to not lift weights.

if he can do 8 pull ups then he can def do 55lbs bench for reps

this is basically what your average gym goers do. nothing weak about it if you are 42 and retired.

the ones that rack up crazy numbers in the gym are usually on something (ie jones)

Not gonna lie pull-ups are still a massive weakness of mine (220 lbs) after more than 13 years of lifting. Unweighted I think I might be able to do 10 in one set at the most. Imma listen to that viddy during work later. Cheers TS
If you're 220 and doing 10 pullups in a set, you're more than fine.

Back