GSP SWEARS that he would've defended the MW belt if he hadn't gotten sick. "I am not a coward."

The problem was created by GSP's effort to gain weight to get bigger for the 185 division. I doubt he will fight at 185 again. It makes no sense. He fought at 170 comfortably for a decade, my guess is that he fights at 170 or 155 next or perhaps a catch weight somewhere in between with Conor if the stars align, GSP is healthy and Conor decides to fight again. Conor losing to Ferguson or Khabib is bad for his brand. Conor might want that GSP big $$$ fight before diving back into 155 and potentially losing. If he loses to GSP, he can say I lost to a bigger man who was probably the best ever at WW. No shame in Conor losing to GSP. Gassing after a round or two and getting brutalized by Ferguson or Khabib is another story.

Conor also might also prefer to wait to dive back into 155 by letting these guys beat each other up and wear down plus Khabib and Ferguson are very large for 155. As they get older, they might have troubles making the weight for title fights. Conor has plenty of $$$ in the bank to wait them out. I would not be surprised if Conor fights GSP or Nate before he jumps into the cage with Khabib or Ferguson. Khabib does hold the belt so he might go there first. He will definitely avoid Ferguson...There are also possible rematches with Poirier and Alvarez...
I'm in as long as there is no auto championship fights. 1-2 at min before any possible challenger slot.

I believe it.

It would have been less believable if he hadn't taken fights like Hendricks, Carlos, Diaz, etc...He fought the best of the best in his division, he didn't duck anyone that I can remember except maybe Silva who wasnt even in his weight class.

WAR GSP.

GSP is a fraud and a liar.

He never intended to unify the belt vs Whittaker and now wants to fights more LWs.

Only the most deluded GSP fans believe him.

So fighting at a more natural weight 185lbs made GSP sick. He had to cut less weight and it's a healthier weight for him but it gave him a disease that means he has to kill himself to get to WW or LW.

<YeahOKJen>
GSP added around 15 lbs to go from 185 walk around to nearly 200 and then cut weight to make 185. You do realize that most fighters at 185 weigh around 200 to 225 walk around weight? Cung Le was one of the few fighters who didn't cut weight and his late career adventures at 185 in the UFC were hit and miss. The sad reality is that massive weight cutting takes place in MMA except for the HW division.

GSP is the GOAT of MMA, he doesn't owe anyone anything and he's far beyond having to prove himself.

-9 title defences
-never missed weight
-never failed a drug test
-brutally avenged all his losses

He knows Bobby knuckles would have finished him.

I mean at least he gave the title up asap but Bobby deserved that W on his resume.

Timestamped to 52:47

GSP talking about defending the 185 belt: "I'm not a perfect man Joe, I have a lot of negative stuff about me, but one thing that I'm not....is a coward. This I swear."

Georges says that he is the type of person to honour an agreement, and in this case the agreement was to defend the Middleweight title. He passionately and adamantly states that colitis was the only reason that he was unable to do so.

Powerful words from the man himself. Let us hope GSP overcomes this horrible disease and graces the Octagon with his legendary presence again.

WAR GSP!

He is not a coward ... he is just smart.

He knows he would be a massive size disadvantage against guys that are either too close to his skill level or maybe even above his skill level while stylistically also being near impossible fights to win.

Too many of us called it and said he will not defend the MW title IF he won the belt from Bisping.

Bisping himself gave him a tough fight and GSP was gassing. He won ... amazing ... but he is not an idiot. He knows if he did finish Bisping right there and then, he would most likely lose that fight in the later rounds.

And Bisping is not as big nor as GOOD as Romero and Whitaker.

GSP is not a coward ... he is just smart.

not a coward but definitely an opportunist he knows Whittaker and Romero are HUGE problems and the odds just don't stack in his favor he won't take losing odds

If he he really has colitis , there's no way in hell be able to fight again even if he lose weight. He's full of shit if he end up fighting again. Dana White made a contract where he has to defend his belt if he won, but Gsp found a loop hole, obviously.

It’s not hard to read up on a health problem. If it’s such a problem why is he wanting to fight again already but against someone smaller ?

It’s clear as day he wants money fights/ specific fights .

Fighting Whittaker etc was never on his radar

This! it would have been a lot easier to believe his colitis story if he wasn't wanting to come back and fight someone in a lower weight class. I can't imagine putting his body through the rigors of cutting to 155 when he's never done it before can be good for his health.

It's hard to believe since he gave up the title almost immediately.

He wants no part of Robert or Yoel.

What's wrong with that, he fought at 185 at the same weight he did when he was cutting to 170. He had to disrupt is normal diet which triggered is colitis.

Why would he want to fight at that weight class again, when he can go back to 170 or even go down to 155 to make history.

I agree, he's afraid to move up and fight Yoel and Bobby because he knows he have no business there. There's more than enough fighters in the UFC for everybody to fight in their real weight class.

I believe him, no reason for him to fear any man at 185, the weakest division in the UFC.

Back