GSP thinks Jake Shields will become Champ

I don't agree with GSP on this.

I believe it will eventually be Condit (for a few title defenses), and then Rory in a couple of years.

I don't think he wants anything to do with Hendricks, so the further he puts him out of his mind the better.

Yeah what you think is definetly the right opinions , let's all forget he already beat him and would beat him again . but hey fiction1982 said so , it must be true .

Like this guy. Shields' father passed away just prior to that fight. I'd favor Shields in a rematch.
Fair enough. But it is also fair to assume that Ellenberger is a tough matchup for Shields. He is strong, has a wrestling background with well above average tdd and obviously has the power to turn peoples lights out at any point.

I think Shields is a tough out for anyone, but I would favor Ellenberger over him in a rematch as well as Hendricks if they were to fight.

I don't agree with GSP on this.

I believe it will eventually be Condit (for a few title defenses), and then Rory in a couple of years.

I don't agree with GSP or you, Shields could win the title but I don't think he will and I don't think he will defend it. WW has a lot of good wrestlers with good striking and KO power that isn't good for Shields who needs the takedown or Condit, who has bad TDD.

I have even less confidence Condit would be able to defend the belt due to his bad TDD and Rory won't get the title because he simply isn't good enough.

I think the guy that will hold the belt for multiple defenses will be one of these men, Lawler, Hendricks, Woodley, or Lombard.

Fair enough. But it is also fair to assume that Ellenberger is a tough matchup for Shields. He is strong, has a wrestling background with well above average tdd and obviously has the power to turn peoples lights out at any point.

I think Shields is a tough out for anyone, but I would favor Ellenberger over him in a rematch as well as Hendricks if they were to fight.

IMO there are a lot of tough fights for Shields at WW.

Lombard
Lawler
Woodley
Hendricks
Story
Pierce

I think most if not all of those guys have a strength, striking and wrestling advantage over Shields.

LMAO reading through most of this thread is making me think people don't even know who Jake Shields is. Why are people so surprised GSP said this?

Jake Shields dominates Dan Henderson
first guy to win rounds against GSP in years
shuts down Akiyama
goes back to 185 and man handles much larger Ed Herman
comes back to 170 and completely shuts down "the future of the division" Tyron Woodley
then proceeds to shut down the guy people were hyping to be future champion Demian Maia at his own game.

Shields has only lost twice in the last decade and even those were 2 and a half years ago to the best WW of all time and a flash KO by a top 10 fighter who hits like a truck which could happen to anybody.

Shields could easily grapplehump his way to the title with GSP gone.

I think most if not all of those guys have a strength, striking and wrestling advantage over Shields.

Everybody supposedly has had a ton of these "advantages" over Shields in the last 10 years and Shields proceeded to blanket or sub them all.

I remember when Paul Daley was supposed to KO him in EliteXC
I remember when Robbie Lawler was supposed to KO him in Strikeforce, especially with Shields coming up to 185
I remember when Mayhem was gonna sub him in Strikeforce
I remember when Dan Henderson was gonna absolutely demolish him
I remember when Tyron Woodley was supposed to be the better wrestler with the KO power that Shields had no answer for.
I remember when Maia was the superior grappler and was gonna easily beat Shields at his own game.

LOL how'd that work out. Shields has been the underdog for years and he always silences the critics.

Everybody supposedly has had a ton of these "advantages" over Shields in the last 10 years and Shields proceeded to blanket them all.

I remember when Robbie Lawler was supposed to KO him in Strikeforce, especially with Shields coming up to 185
I remember when Tyron Woodley was supposed to be the better wrestler with the KO power that Shields had no answer for.
I remember when Maia was the superior grappler and was gonna easily beat Shields at his own game.

LOL how'd that work out. Shields has been the underdog for years and he always silences the critics.

I know Shields has won a bunch of fights against bad match ups and I should have said that to save you the time of posting this, however those fighters I mentioned are still tough match ups for Shields.

Daley wasn't the favorite.

Lawler was the underdog as well but not as big of one.

I don't remember people saying that at all.

Yes people thought Henderson was going to destroy him.

Woodley is a bad match up for Shields but Shields fought a great gamplan and won fair and square, it's just harder for him to consistently beat people like Woodley.

I actually thought Shields was going to beat Maia by out positioning him on the ground like he did.

Shields is a great fighter but every fighter has a style that is more difficult to deal with and for Shields that is someone that has better wrestling and striking or he just better striking and the TDD to keep it on the feet.

Shields can overcome this style match up but I don't see him getting the belt and defending it because there are a lot of top guys with this style for him to fight.

I have Shields as the number 3 WW all time right now so I respect his skills, I just know what type of style he has more problems with.

Everybody supposedly has had a ton of these "advantages" over Shields in the last 10 years and Shields proceeded to blanket them all.

He's also beaten Condit already.

The guy has wins over 4 of the top 10. Would definitely beat Ellenburger in the rematch. Nick Diaz shouldn't even be in the list anymore and should probably be replaced by Woodley who he just beat. Who does that leave? Brown? Hendricks? Rory?

Shields has already nearly cleaned out the division. Let that sink in a moment.

Hendricks is the only one with a chance of beating him IMO. And it wouldn't be easy.

I'm confident Shields would lose to Hendricks, possibly get stopped. I think Condit and Lawler could beat him in a rematch as well.

That said I actually kind of like Shields and would not mind as much as most if he won the title. I suspect the UFC does not want that to happen though. If he can get past Lombard(and I think that's a big if) I think the UFC will give him another tough stylistic match up, probably the loser of Hendricks/Lawler, while someone like Condit will get the next crack at the belt.

I don't agree with GSP or you, Shields could win the title but I don't think he will and I don't think he will defend it. WW has a lot of good wrestlers with good striking and KO power that isn't good for Shields who needs the takedown or Condit, who has bad TDD.

I have even less confidence Condit would be able to defend the belt due to his bad TDD and Rory won't get the title because he simply isn't good enough.

I think the guy that will hold the belt for multiple defenses will be one of these men, Lawler, Hendricks, Woodley, or Lombard.

To be fair to Condit, if he fought for the title it would be five rounds and he seems very well suited to that kind of fight. I think Condit would beat Hendricks in a five rounder and I think he would be able to beat Ellenberger and Rory again in five rounds as well. Shields might be able to hold him down but even then I would favor Condit. I think in five rounds his pace and well rounded skill set is too much for most guys at WW.

To be fair to Condit, if he fought for the title it would be five rounds and he seems very well suited to that kind of fight. I think Condit would beat Hendricks in a five rounder and I think he would be able to beat Ellenberger and Rory again in five rounds as well. Shields might be able to hold him down but even then I would favor Condit. I think in five rounds his pace and well rounded skill set is too much for most guys at WW.

I agree with you about Ellenberger and Rory but Hendricks showed in his last fight that when he trains for a 5 round fight he has good cardio to go at a fast pace for 5 rounds, he would beat Condit again. I think Ellenberger and Rory would get tired against Condit in a 5 round fight and finished.

I would favor Jake over Condit in a 3 or 5 round fight but Condit would have more chances to get the KO in a 5 round fight. I give Condit about a 1/4 chance of beating Shields in a 5 round fight.

I just hope they give him a title shot. With the way things been going lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed him over.

Agreed. Unless it gets to the point where it would be an absolute joke to not give him a shot, I think they'll Fitch him.

here is a list of fighters Jake Shields has beaten

Demian Maia
Tyron Woodley
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Martin Kampmann
Dan Henderson
Robbie Lawler
Paul Daley
Carlos Condit
Yushin Okami

very impressive..

man this is almost what I said word for word about Hendo/Shields....

No, it really wasn't. A lot of people, me included, were well aware that Dan has trouble stopping leg takedowns. He's a greco guy by trade. Throughout his entire career he's had trouble stuffing leg takedowns. So many people were aware that Shields might be able to do that to him.

Yes he might beat Hendricks, but Hendricks is an even bigger favorite then Hendo. Hendricks basically broke even wrestling GSP. Shields ain't getting the TD.

here is a list of fighters Jake Shields has beaten

Demian Maia
Tyron Woodley
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Martin Kampmann
Dan Henderson
Robbie Lawler
Paul Daley
Carlos Condit
Yushin Okami

very impressive..

Now choose a fight where he looked impressive.... He could of easily loss his past 3 fights.

Shields beats Hendricks easily IMO....sad to see sherdog is not the same forum anymore.

Place lacks a little bit of logic.

One could argue Shields deserved the title shot way more than Lawler.

He is 3-1-1 in the last two years at WW, all three wins were really close, and only one of them was in the top 10. Lawler is 3-0 in the last year, two top 10 wins, two finishes. Not to mention the fact that Shields lost to Jake after GSP and then had that suspension following the hermann fight.

Back