Gunnar Nelson

Benoitthegr8

Filthy Pensioner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m in the minority, but was anybody else disappointed in Gunni’s efforts this past weekend...? I was expecting a little bit more from the Icelandianisherer... maybe a wrinkle, anything that would’ve suggested that he’s grown or improved in his time away, especially considering he’s said as much, that now he’s is the most complete, best version of himself....

After 2 years It appears that he’s added nothing new to his game, still looking like a guy who lacks any type of effective transition game, it’s either striking or grappling, nothing in between. He went from having competitive fights against Leon Edwards and Gilbert Burns (SD & UD loses), to an unimpressive UD win over the #103 ranked WW in Sato, a gimme fight. he literally had control for over 8 minutes, couldn’t finish.

Too small for WW, and entirely too complacent to let his fights coast to the judges, I understand ring rust and all, but this was a guy in Sato who’s been submitted in his last 3 loses, quite disappointing.

Who is his trainer now?

He might've been really careful about getting a W under his name after being out for so long, if he can control and kill time to earn the W with little risk then why not

Was never that good and had his Jui-Jitsu mystique shattered by Maia. Injuries apparently have not been kind to him either. Crushed by some Monster sized dude?

Seemed like he just wanted to play it safe and win a fight to get back on track. I can't blame him too much.

He looked no better or worse than I would have expected.

Gunnar was an interesting prospect at one time, but it's been clear for a long time now that he:

1) has a very dated style
2) is athletically quite limited

I'll get the obligatory "he could make waves at 155" post out of the way. I think there's some truth to that idea, but he's never going to drop down so it's a worthless discussion.

"One wins and one loses. But if there isn't a 1st round KTFO, they both suck and should be cut."

-Sherdog

That ADCC we first saw him in was a hundred years ago. And while I believe he has improved his grappling since then, I haven’t seen anything that would have me thinking he can make it into the top five.

This was in the news today:

“Gunnar Nelson has said his ribcage ‘completely folded’ during a grappling session with Thor Bjornsson last year.”

He clearly hasn’t been taking his career seriously, getting injured grappling a 300lbs power lifter (I saw the footage, he got smushed, too, which isn’t the best way to sell yourself).

Gunnar isn't even top ten and unfortunately he hasn't improved his game at all over recent years.

He looked normal, easily controled thenfight, but I think he didn't lut an effort to finish and was happy with control.

Shouldn't even be a surprise to anyone...he's been dissapointing for the last 4 years

Was never that good and had his Jui-Jitsu mystique shattered by Maia. Injuries apparently have not been kind to him either. Crushed by some Monster sized dude?
He's one of those very overrated fighters on here. He looks like he should be better than he is but he is what he is. Yes, against Maia his BJJ got put in perspective. There's no shame in getting beat by Maia but there are levels to everything. He's a good solid fighter but that's it. He had nothing for Leon in the first 2 rounds. He came on in the third. Leon seems to wilt later in fights.

Back