Opinion Guns rights and domestic violence protections collide at US Supreme Court

No, it is a sweeping generalization and dramatization for effect. I thought that was pretty clear and that it would not be presumed that I am claiming that literally precisely 99% of arrests are men.

If i need to be completely literal, it is a fairly well known that US domestic violence calls to police are likely to result in arrest, as the "we need to DO SOMETHING" crowd has applied substantial pressure to the effect that action must be taken.
(Regardless of whether that action is going to improve the situation or if it is an accurate representation of what occurred.)

Sources:

Ninety percent of people who commit violent physical assault are men. Males perpetrate 95% of all serious domestic violence.

Source: U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics Online. http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/

6. The U.S. Department of Justice estimates that 95% of reported assaults on spouses or ex-spouses are committed by men against women.

Source: Douglas, H. (1991). Assessing violent couples. Families in Society, 72 (9): 525-535

Yeah I figured, there's quite a bit of dramatization for your initial response. For one thing many peoe are overstating the alleged ease of getting a restraining order. You went as far as to say "no due process" when we're discussing a legal procedure that needs Court approval. There is a massive problem with women, particularly, being ignored by law enforcement when it comes to domestic abuse that eventually leads to them being killed, and survivors have reported this on all levels of society from police, to courts, to even social media companies and here we are suggesting that even the thought of taking a gun away from someone who a Court saw as a valid threat is too hasty, a step too far.

Back