• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Gus vs bones 1. Am i missing something?

I still have no idea how anyone thinks Jones won round 4.

He was getting absolutely lit up the vast majority of that round. Landing a few elbows at the ass end of the round sure as hell wasn't enough for him to win that round. He had to drop him and follow up with a fuck ton of uncontested hell where the ref is almost stopping the fight or he's saved by the bell.

That simply didn't come close to happening.

I find that when a dominant champ is tested or is in trouble, even just a bit of trouble, people tend to overstate how well the challenger did.

It was the first time Jones looked beatable, but no way Gus has a repeat or better performance this time.

Good fight, great fight actually. However I always thought Jones won pretty clearly. I didn't think there was really any controversy, but Gus did do really well. This upcoming fight Jones is gonna destroy leaving no doubt about it

2nd time watching this fight. This time on mute without rogan in my ear.

Yes one of Jon Jones hardest fight. But still clear that he won it.

Nothing really happens before midway into round 4. Jon Jones find his timing on his elbows. And gets gus in some real trouble..

Round 5 was again close. But again Jon Jones finding a home for his elbows. He could also keep spamming his left head kick at gus. Who had no answer for it. Other then just eating it with a lazy block.

At the end of the last round jon jones lands a nice flying knee.

Gus also gassed midway into the last round..

So Yeah. Close fight. But clear victory to Jones.

And i am a Scandinavian .

The telling moment in close fight for me was in championship rounds when Jones was connecting on elbows and it looked as though Gus was almost looking for a place to collapse. Jones wins 4th and 5th and in turn- retains.
Had to come back and edit cause some people read things and ASSUME.I did not in any way make reference that Gus won first 3 rounds .He did not. All I referenced was the turning point of fight.I had JJ 48-47 for the record.If I had Jones losing first 3 then it wouldn't matter...... Gus wins(but I didnt)

Last edited:
I watched it again and if they had given it a draw I would have been fine with it but Jon pulled through with a big moment to seal it. Gus did very, very good though, he was a lot more consistent.

1. Gus
2. Jon, because of a good finish but really close.
3. Gus, started to find his rhythm even more.
4. Jon: Gus was piecing him up for 4 minutes and Jones managed to steal it with that elbow and strong finish.
5. Close round to Jon. Gus recovered and boxed him up, but he was slowing down and Jon caught him with some well timed shots, and hit a td to seal it.

Can't wait for the rematch.

Highlighted part has absolutely nothing to do with the judges scorecard. Its important in Sherbro code but it holds no bearing on judging the fight.

That 2nd round is the big question in looking at this fight. I think its a close round and just by my eyes I think Gus won it but I'll concede its highly debatable.

Except that I wrote this reply in response to a comment about Jones going to the hospital after the fight... which also has absolutly nothing to do with the judges scorecard and is only important in Sherbro code.

People need context. Jones was unbeatable, no one could take him down, land on him, or survive enough to not get finished. Gus was a competent foe, hurt Jones, took him down, and made Jones dig really deep in the later rounds. But Gus employed a run away strategy that gassed him hard the last two rounds, he got hurt more than he hurt Jones the entire fight, and it was a clear win for Jones. He tracked Gus down the entire fight, ended strong, and wobbled him noticeably. Gus proved to be the most worthy challenger, but he did not win the fight.

Gus was pretty clearly outworking Jones all night. Took every round but the fifth. Jones landed one good elbow in the last twenty seconds of the fourth round and did absolutely nothing with it and retards think he won the whole round. Ridiculous.

And I sure as shit ain't no gus fan, talked about as much (fully justified) trash on that dude as anyone you'll find on sherdig. But shit is what it is and he won that fight.

Jones landed one good elbow in the last twenty seconds of the fourth round and did absolutely nothing with it

And....you just lost any credibility.

And you may net be a Gus fan, but you are a Jones hater

How I scored not too long ago:

This is a really shit way of scoring the fight since Jones last min of the 4th was by far the most dominate either fighter were in the whole fight

Any fight that jones is in seems to go the same way: whatever he lands is blown out of proportion; whatever his opponent lands is ignored and overlooked. Because everyone is expecting jones to win, what they see reflects what they believed going into the fight ahead of time.

This is literally the exact opposite of what true. Jones is hated and expected to win every fight, so when he lands its no big deal. When his opponent lands people make a big deal about it because Jones is so dominate. Hell we are still seeing GIFs from Machida landing that straight left on him.

I had Gus winning all three rounds first viewing. But it was razor close and you need to win close rounds soundly or they should go to the champ. 48-47 Jones or Gus works for me.

So... Nothing happened in rounds 1-3 and Jones took 4 clearly and 5 was close.

That’s why Jones was hospitalized right?

For that nothing in the 1st 3

I’m no Scandinavian
I scored it 3-2 Jones. I think what really swayed it was Round 4 tho, the biggest moment of the fight, and so late in the fight.

It is always on the challenger to TAKE the belt from the champion, and you can bet your last dollar Gustaffson is fighting with more fire the 2nd time around.

Gus will probably finish him in the rematch opening the door for a trilogy.

Gus landed flush shots all fight up until the hail mary elbow with less than a minute to go in round 4. Everyone seems to give Jones this round just because he finished it strong and unfairly discount 4+ minutes of fighting before the elbow landed. You don't score fights like that.

You are so fucking bias lol. Gus won about 3 close min of the 4th, a min was close and Jones beat the piss out of him in the last min. There is a reason every media outlet gave Jones the 4th.

Also hail mary elbow? Do you have a clue what a hail mary is? You are not throwing hail mary's with 6 min left in a fight buddy. Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez is a hail mary elbow. Jones was setting that big elbow up. He adjusted and started landing short lead elbows with about 2 min left and that turned the round before Jones landed that big elbow and sealed the round

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El Diego
Back