Gym fees comparisons

Do drop-ins at each and see what gym you click with the coach & students the most because that's important. The most accomplished gym doesn't mean it'll click, as mentiomed wrestling is extremely crucial for mma. Find ways to practice it outside of the gym as well if it's with a friend or another coach.

UPDATE:
So ive gone to all 3 gyms, spent the most time during trials at the third gym...strictly a Muay thai gym and then the others ...One thing i dont like about the last gym is that there is no gym access outside of privates and classes...so no just open mat session and theres no ring ... This has made me double think the location... although it's the closest and i actually enjoy the instructor, he seems to come from a place of passion and i think im getting the authentic muay thai experience..

This has made me decide that i will begin my training at gyms 1 and 3, and im opting out of the second gym with the world champion fighter .. only because of the distance is unrealistic for the time being..if i find once im competing i need something more ..i will try and reach out to that gym ...as it did have a ring and will definitely be a high level on intensity given the owner/fighter there has direct ties to thailand and Siam no.1 gym including the legendary Buakauw...

In the meantime been getting into shape again at L.A fitness .. Once i officially start training i will likely make a new thread with gym names and videos/ pictures...

Last edited:
Not a fighting gym, but Planet Fitness is only $10 a month. Plenty of weights for me to do the minimum Sherdog 275lb bench press

In Melbourne Australia I pay $25 AUD a week (about $17 USD) for a local boxing gym, they have classes three times a week which i go to and I can go whenever I want outside of this. It's a top gym (got an Australian champion down there) good people and 4 min drive, perfect.

I train at a martial arts gym in Canada as well , been there for a number of years used to be $140 CAD per month for an adult unlimited , which includes boxing, muay thai, bjj , some more mma focused classes . It's your average run of the mill mma gym with some amateurs and a few pros , post covid they upped it to $160 CAD . There's no doubt they make a killing some would say it's not expensive I make alright money but still with the price of everything and inflation it seems like it could be half of that given the amount of members.. is it fair prices Sherbros?

I train at a martial arts gym in Canada as well , been there for a number of years used to be $140 CAD per month for an adult unlimited , which includes boxing, muay thai, bjj , some more mma focused classes . It's your average run of the mill mma gym with some amateurs and a few pros , post covid they upped it to $160 CAD . There's no doubt they make a killing some would say it's not expensive I make alright money but still with the price of everything and inflation it seems like it could be half of that given the amount of members.. is it fair prices Sherbros?

Standard to slightly below standard if all inclusive

I just went gym hopping the other day. It's all 200 and up for gyms around my area. Even the cheap places that were 140 are now costing 200. I am assuming the big schools that were 250 and up are now around 300. I didn't get to visit many big schools. I find that it is off putting when I visit big gyms and they have this whole car salesmen pitch in the small office.

Last edited:
I just went gym hopping the other day. It's all 200 and up for gyms around my area. Even the cheap places that were 140 are now costing 200. I am assuming the big schools that were 250 and up are now around 300. I didn't get to visit many big schools. I find that it is off putting when I visit big gyms and they have this whole car salesmen pitch in the small office.
I had a place do this after I finished the last day of a 1 week pass I bought on groupon. Small office, shows me different membership options and I remember it was almost $3k for a year and everyone wore the same shirt with the gym logo. I didn't like that. I felt like, I'm paying, so I'll wear my own stuff.

I had a place do this after I finished the last day of a 1 week pass I bought on groupon. Small office, shows me different membership options and I remember it was almost $3k for a year and everyone wore the same shirt with the gym logo. I didn't like that. I felt like, I'm paying, so I'll wear my own stuff.
The uniforms are weird as shit. I visited a big kickboxing school long time ago and one of their coaches made a fuss about me not having a uniform. I was just like I am a drop in. The other coach was kind of cool and gave me a free shirt.

In terms of grappling I don't go visit any Gracie franchise school. They always have that uniform requirement. They don't even let you train. They give you a "private" then they hit you with the small office sale.

***update***

So last fall and into the end of 2023 , became a massive transitional period for me and my family , as my Wife started having some health issues, One being gallbladder related which we believe was caused by Ozempic ( diabetes drug) and the other was that she had kidney cancer , they spotted it while looking at her gallbladder issue, these two issues and the two surgeries that followed to remove her gallbladder and the tumor caused every other part of my life to change alongside her body and our family's needs. Im happy to say she's cancer free as of 2024 and is on medical leave recovering and for myself ive decided to pivot work wise , and started a new job this January.

Because of the job change , and the dramatic end to 2023 , these training plans have been derailed alittle bit ..or postponed yet again ..but soon I will be out of my probation period with my new company and once thats done .. I think i will revisit this plan again. Sometimes life has other plans for you ,

Best of luck to anyone who's going through tough medical stuff, and/or who's simply trying to train, even when life gets in the way.!

Will update again when it's time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back