Had to use my BJJ/MMA skillz to stop a 2 on 1 fight/assault last night.....

Ok I am not so sure of the whole "you could have been arrested" argument.

I just took my concealed carry class a few weeks ago and here are the situations in which I can draw a GUN...

If someone attacks me in my home, If someone attacks me to take my property and in defense of another if I fear they are in grave danger. I can brandish my weapon legally as a threat on my property as well as a warning even if I am not being attacked (yet)

So if I can draw my weapon in that case I am not sure how breaking up a fight gets him in trouble legally. I think IF he would get in trouble it would be based on the amount of force used vs what was needed.

For example if he walks up and breaks the 1st guys neck and then bashes the 2nd guy with a brick from behind, yeah I would say he would be in a bit of trouble. But using some basic grappling to pull the guys off is not going to get him in trouble especially when 2 people have one on the ground and are biting/kicking him.

Q. When can I use my handgun to protect myself?
A. Florida law justifies use of deadly force when you are:

Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.
http://www.flcwla.com/faq.htm

Good job TS, sometimes you have to step in and it seems you did it very well.

Concerning the bystanders, if you need to have someone involved, address them directly.

For example: You in the blue shirt and you with the hat; please help me hold this guy down.

This is an effective strategy to get people over their inhibition.

This is a cool story, but why didn't you just punch one of them?

Quick story from yesterday before I headed out to dinner. Walking the dog by the beach and I hear the distinct sound of pre fight banter. "fuck you bro!", "come on mutha F'er", etc coming from a block up around a corner. I don't think much of it as that type of posturing happens a bit down by my beach in the summer, but soon after I hear the sounds of actualy fight.

I head that way to see what's up and as I come around the corner there are two guys fighting one guy while his girlfriend yells and screams to stop. There are people standing all around, some on cell phones, some worriedly watching, but no one stepping in to stop it.

You should've just called the cops right there. You didn't really have to use your BJJ/MMA skillz to stop it, Spider Man!

good job man! dread dude is a bitch

Glad nothing bad happened to the TS. Stupid or not, he had the balls to do something he thought was right.

Slightly offtopic, but how do you throw a good thai leg kick with shoes on? I always feel that pivoting with my standing leg would twist my ankle if I was wearing shoes. Unless you're low kicking without pivoting and doing a karate style chambered kick? But that doesnt seem to work for low kicks well....
I have to agree with the simple leg kick option. If you've ever trained kickboxing you know how much a leg kick hurts at 30% with no pads on. Imagine chopping through someones leg. It's always in my mind if I have to be in a street situation. It's simple, doesn't knock them out, but completely slightly ishes them. Unless this guy you've kicked is a K-1 kickboxer, expect him to fall over in agony.
One thing kicks have over jits on the street is you never have to put yourself near a weapon (bar a gun, but if you're dumb enough to kick a guy with a gun...come on).

This said, you shouldn't have intervened at all. I agree with what that guy's saying about how there's too many variables happening at once. What if that guy said something to those rasta's because he was with his girlfriend trying to puff his chest out? What if he had in fact attacked them in a situation with 10 people on 2 in a club earlier that week? I know for a fact that if I was beaten up by guys in a club one night for nothing, that if I saw one of them alone on the street it would be serious payback time.
There's too many uncontrolled variables man, wayyy too many to just be jumping in hero-ing everything.

sligh

Back