International Haiti declares State of Emergency after Prisoners overrun the country; 5400 inmates escape

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
haiti-rt-ml-220716_1657999633312_hpMain.jpg

000_92P6C3.jpg

Haiti’s government has declared a state of emergency and a night-time curfew in a bid to regain control of the streets after an explosion of violence over the weekend saw armed gang members storm the country’s two biggest prisons, with thousands of inmates escaping.

The 72-hour state of emergency went into immediate effect as the government said it would set out to find the killers, kidnappers and other violent criminals it believed had escaped.

At least nine people had been killed since Thursday, four of them police officers. Targets have included police stations, the country’s international airport, even the national soccer stadium, where one employee was held hostage for hours.

But the siege on Saturday night of the National Penitentiary came as a shock even to Haitians accustomed to living under the constant threat of violence.
Almost all of the estimated 4,000 inmates fled during the jailbreak, leaving the normally overcrowded facility empty on Sunday with no guards in sight and plastic sandals, clothing and furniture strewn across the concrete patio. Three bodies with gunshot wounds lay at the prison entrance. A second Port-au-Prince prison containing about 1,400 inmates was also overrun.

Isn't "state of emergency" basically status quo in Haiti?

I'm trying to think of places I'd be less likely to travel to even before this weekend's mass prison break. South Sudan...maybe? Eastern Ukraine currently? But even that...IDK. Certain parts of Yemen?

Anyway, Haiti is right up near the top of the list.

They might be but shouldn't be unless they are women or children.
That's like, your opinion man. As for the law they qualify for TPS so they are actually welcome here.
"Undocumented" doesn't exist there is only legal and illegal.

Unless you think a drug dealer is an "Undocumented" pharmacist.
You're the one who used the term, not me, and now you're complaining about it? So odd.

That's like, your opinion man. As for the law they qualify for TPS so they are actually welcome here.

You're the one who used the term, not me, and now you're complaining about it? So odd.

I put it in quotes for a reason. That was to make fun of a stupid term used by the left on ileagls because ileagl hurts their feelings.

I almost went to Haiti in 2022. Met a Greek aid worker in DR who lived there. He told me under no circumstances
I drive through Haitian neighborhoods in Brooklyn. My biggest account is in Flatbush, and I am careful not to venture too far east. That is enough for me to never go to the source. The criminal element is on another level of violence with No fucks given attitudes. The issue are gangs. They rape torture and kill at will. No value for human life. When they leave Haiti, they do not leave that gang life behind. There are 200 gangs in Haiti fighting for control but the two biggest are G9 and Fanmi e Alye. The latter is run by a former police chief nicknamed Jimmy BBQ. It's not because he likes BBQ. The culture is inundated with violence since birth so there is no line between the people in power and police and the criminals. They are often the same folks, switching sides once in a while. I see G9 symbols all over and that shit is scary.

Back