HANNIBAL TV Series Discussion v.2 (Cancelled After Season 3)

i love the Lynchian first half & even though the Red Dragon story in the second half was maybe a bit rushed, it was also the third time that story has been adapted to the screen, so it didn’t really bother me. then the finale was lit.

self-indulgent Bryan Fuller is the best Bryan Fuller imo

Loved the show was gutted when it was cancelled. I have seasons one and two on DVD couldn't find season three.

Loved the show was gutted when it was cancelled. I have seasons one and two on DVD couldn't find season three.
This show was 10 years ahead of its time. It would have been a home run on a streaming platform.

The extreme violence just pushed it to odd times on network tv. It rotated between a Thursday and Friday 10 PM time slot! That’s tough to pull viewers for

This show was 10 years ahead of its time. It would have been a home run on a streaming platform.
Twin Peaks aired in 1990 then the return was in 2017 (only two years after Hannibal s3 aired)

The GOAT dramatic series, and the Season 2 finale is the GOAT episode of TV. I've intentionally been putting off a rewatch to let as much time elapse as possible so that it can feel as fresh as possible...but it's really an exercise in futility since the images and the dialogue are burned in my memory.

2e2a635f233611f2c2448c39d11cc232.gif

The GOAT dramatic series, and the Season 2 finale is the GOAT episode of TV. I've intentionally been putting off a rewatch to let as much time elapse as possible so that it can feel as fresh as possible...but it's really an exercise in futility since the images and the dialogue are burned in my memory.

Even though we saw Hannibal kill Beverly earlier, the full reveal of psychopathic predator Hannibal in the S2 finale was so well done.

Just the way he's in a rage flinging himself into the door to finish the job against a wounded Jack and how he doesn't even try to hide his intentions with that "in the pantry" was chilling. He crushed that scene. The classy debonair veneer is completely gone and we see the monster.

I also lost my shit as much as Will did when Hannibal slit Abigail's throat. Full on jaw open "did that just happen" moment for me.

Even though we saw Hannibal kill Beverly earlier, the full reveal of psychopathic predator Hannibal in the S2 finale was so well done.

Just the way he's in a rage flinging himself into the door to finish the job against a wounded Jack and how he doesn't even try to hide his intentions with that "in the pantry" was chilling. He crushed that scene. The classy debonair veneer is completely gone and we see the monster.

I also lost my shit as much as Will did when Hannibal slit Abigail's throat. Full on jaw open "did that just happen" moment for me.

QFT. Not to mention the genius of the storytelling by opening the season in the very first episode and the very first sequence with the beginning of the Hannibal/Jack fight from the finale, and then building across the whole season to that thrilling moment we knew was coming even though we had no idea how we'd get there.

"When a fox hears a rabbit scream, he comes running, but not to help. When you hear Jack scream, why will you come running?"

stressed-out-suspense.gif

I spent the entire Season 2 finale with my jaw open. And then kudos to Bryan Fuller, when Season 3 came around and Will is hanging out with Abigail, I was livid, I was cursing his name for bitching out and letting everyone from that bloodbath finale survive, only to then have it revealed that Will is just sad and he's talking to Abigail in his head because she really is dead, at which point I was like...

4ffd4038cb7217afa95ff882552a71f1.gif

Such a clever show. Right from the jump, it was operating at such a high level, and it never lost steam. Even with the early cancellation despite Fuller having the series mapped out for 8 seasons, the ability of Fuller and his team to wrap things up so beautifully and powerfully in that third season...it's sheer genius.

you agree s3 is lit right, @Bullitt68 ? surely i’m not the only sane person here who recognizes s3’s greatness, right?

you agree s3 is lit right, @Bullitt68 ? surely i’m not the only sane person here who recognizes s3’s greatness, right?

Oh, of course. When it premiered and as I was following the episodes, the jump from Season 2 was jarring, plus I had my issues with the show's Francis/Red Dragon being into yoga - although I was always going to have my issues with another Francis/Red Dragon because I hold Tom Noonan's work in Manhunter in such high esteem as possibly the GOAT villainous performance in film history - but it's like ranking Kubrick movies, or Bulls championship seasons, etc.: It's kind of pointless because across the board we're talking about peerless excellence. Like I said, I've been intentionally putting off rewatching it, but from my last viewing, I'd rank the seasons 2>3>1.

What Season 3 had that made it so powerful for me was that sense of nostalgia. Season 1 was full of mystery as we got to know the characters, Season 2 was full of suspense as we wondered who'd do what, but Season 3 was filled with loss/longing as we watched how the characters reacted to previous events.

The "I forgive you" scene is amazing, as is their reunion scene ("To market, to market, to buy a fat pig; home again, home again, jiggety-jig"); I couldn't believe how far they went with the head slicing scene, and then that painful "break up" scene followed by Hannibal turning himself in so that Will would always know where to find him is so gloriously twisted and perfectly in keeping with the toxic bromance; and then their bromance becoming a sort of buddy cop battle against the Red Dragon culminating in that "This is all I ever wanted for you" Thelma and Louise off the cliff ending..."It's beautiful." My only legit gripe is how Fuller, for fun purely to tip his hat to his audience, did that stupid Gillian at the dinner table scene hinting that Hannibal (and maybe also Will) survived the cliff fall. That's literally the only significant blemish in the entire run of the series in my book, and it's not that significant and not that much of a blemish. Had he not added that little tag, I'd consider the show a perfect 10/10 flawless masterpiece. With it, it's just a measly 9.999999999999999/10 masterpiece 😁

Oh, of course. When it premiered and as I was following the episodes, the jump from Season 2 was jarring, plus I had my issues with the show's Francis/Red Dragon being into yoga - although I was always going to have my issues with another Francis/Red Dragon because I hold Tom Noonan's work in Manhunter in such high esteem as possibly the GOAT villainous performance in film history - but it's like ranking Kubrick movies, or Bulls championship seasons, etc.: It's kind of pointless because across the board we're talking about peerless excellence. Like I said, I've been intentionally putting off rewatching it, but from my last viewing, I'd rank the seasons 2>3>1.

What Season 3 had that made it so powerful for me was that sense of nostalgia. Season 1 was full of mystery as we got to know the characters, Season 2 was full of suspense as we wondered who'd do what, but Season 3 was filled with loss/longing as we watched how the characters reacted to previous events.

The "I forgive you" scene is amazing, as is their reunion scene ("To market, to market, to buy a fat pig; home again, home again, jiggety-jig"); I couldn't believe how far they went with the head slicing scene, and then that painful "break up" scene followed by Hannibal turning himself in so that Will would always know where to find him is so gloriously twisted and perfectly in keeping with the toxic bromance; and then their bromance becoming a sort of buddy cop battle against the Red Dragon culminating in that "This is all I ever wanted for you" Thelma and Louise off the cliff ending..."It's beautiful." My only legit gripe is how Fuller, for fun purely to tip his hat to his audience, did that stupid Gillian at the dinner table scene hinting that Hannibal (and maybe also Will) survived the cliff fall. That's literally the only significant blemish in the entire run of the series in my book, and it's not that significant and not that much of a blemish. Had he not added that little tag, I'd consider the show a perfect 10/10 flawless masterpiece. With it, it's just a measly 9.999999999999999/10 masterpiece 😁
bless yer heart. it always warms my loins when we’re on the same page seeing eye2eye

random, but it popped into my mind: have you watched Severance? if so, thoughts?

bless yer heart. it always warms my loins when we’re on the same page seeing eye2eye

random, but it popped into my mind: have you watched Severance? if so, thoughts?

For my own little trip down memory lane, I read through this whole thread and I didn't remember being as high on Season 3 during its premiere as I was. I was fucking loving it even as I was seeing it for the first time, and if you haven't gone back through this thread, you'll appreciate me fighting the good fight as others were bitching and moaning and I was sticking up for its brilliance as it was unfolding its final storyline. I'd forgotten that Gillian irritated me as much as she did in the early going, but I guess with time I assumed that I was a stick in the mud when seeing it for the first time, but no, I was on board from the jump. So over time that I came to love Season 3 even more is just a testament to its awesomeness. I'd also forgotten about the Jack/Hannibal rematch scored to the Clockwork Orange music. God, I loved all the Kubrick references in this show :cool:

I haven't seen Severance. I honestly hadn't even heard of it until right now. Looking it up, it sounds very Matrix-y/Don't Worry Darling-y/Westworld-y. And Ben Stiller directing it? The Cable Guy is a criminally underrated dark comedy masterpiece, but I wouldn't imagine him directing what Wikipedia calls a "science fiction psychological thriller." Are you liking it?

For my own little trip down memory lane, I read through this whole thread and I didn't remember being as high on Season 3 during its premiere as I was. I was fucking loving it even as I was seeing it for the first time, and if you haven't gone back through this thread, you'll appreciate me fighting the good fight as others were bitching and moaning and I was sticking up for its brilliance as it was unfolding its final storyline. I'd forgotten that Gillian irritated me as much as she did in the early going, but I guess with time I assumed that I was a stick in the mud when seeing it for the first time, but no, I was on board from the jump. So over time that I came to love Season 3 even more is just a testament to its awesomeness. I'd also forgotten about the Jack/Hannibal rematch scored to the Clockwork Orange music. God, I loved all the Kubrick references in this show :cool:

I haven't seen Severance. I honestly hadn't even heard of it until right now. Looking it up, it sounds very Matrix-y/Don't Worry Darling-y/Westworld-y. And Ben Stiller directing it? The Cable Guy is a criminally underrated dark comedy masterpiece, but I wouldn't imagine him directing what Wikipedia calls a "science fiction psychological thriller." Are you liking it?
i’m gonna go back & read through the thread because i need that validation. especially when it comes from my SMD brother, fighting the good fight, because i respect your posts/thoughts/opinions that seamlessly blend goofy fanboyism w/ well-reasoned analysis… even if i totally wanna kick your ass a lot of the time

Severance s1 is truly phenomenal my dude. the finest season of television i’ve seen in a long time. gun to my head, Severance s1 finale is my favorite episode of television ever—& this is not snooty slut4esoterica henry speaking. i wouldn’t have bothered bringing it up if i wasn’t like 99% convinced it would be right up your alley. if you ever check it out (still only the first season as s2 production got delayed by the pandemic then the strike, but it should be coming mid 2025 at the latest), give me a shout in the SMD or something, cause i’d be curious what you thought. other quick hits:
  • best Christopher Walken in fuckin’ YEARS
  • balances it’s absurdist sci fi conceit w/o being confrontational or alienating to the audience
  • Zach Cherry
  • is surprisingly poignant & never cold like a lot of speculative / near future sci fi will tend to be
  • Ben Stiller’s early comedic methodology that leaned more dark & obscure is back in full force & better than ever imo
  • Tramell Tillman gives what is perhaps the GOAT breakout performance from a newbie/nobody since idk, Lupita Nyong’o maybe
anyways, i’m done hijacking this Hannibal thread w/ Severance rambling, but i had to bring it up

It was actually kinda strange because the first two seasons where original content then season 3 was pretty much a word for word remake of Manhunter/Red Dragon. Which is kinda strange. I loved it but why do it a third time? it makes me think they may have run out of ideas and that is why it was cancelled, i dunno just guessing on that one.

i’m gonna go back & read through the thread because i need that validation. especially when it comes from my SMD brother, fighting the good fight, because i respect your posts/thoughts/opinions that seamlessly blend goofy fanboyism w/ well-reasoned analysis… even if i totally wanna kick your ass a lot of the time

Severance s1 is truly phenomenal my dude. the finest season of television i’ve seen in a long time. gun to my head, Severance s1 finale is my favorite episode of television ever—& this is not snooty slut4esoterica henry speaking. i wouldn’t have bothered bringing it up if i wasn’t like 99% convinced it would be right up your alley. if you ever check it out (still only the first season as s2 production got delayed by the pandemic then the strike, but it should be coming mid 2025 at the latest), give me a shout in the SMD or something, cause i’d be curious what you thought. other quick hits:
  • balances it’s absurdist sci fi conceit w/o being confrontational or alienating to the audience
  • Zach Cherry
  • is surprisingly poignant & never cold like a lot of speculative / near future sci fi will tend to be
  • Ben Stiller’s early comedic methodology that leaned more dark & obscure is back in full force & better than ever imo
  • Tramell Tillman gives what is perhaps the GOAT breakout performance from a newbie/nobody since idk, Lupita Nyong’o maybe
anyways, i’m done hijacking this Hannibal thread w/ Severance rambling, but i had to bring it up

Cool, I'm gonna check it out :)

YES I’m so glad so many others love it as much as I did

@Bullitt68 I couldn’t get through 2 episodes of S3 after LOVING S2. Now, it may have been I was trying to watch and the times were tough but — is it worth it?

i’m gonna go back & read through the thread because i need that validation. especially when it comes from my SMD brother, fighting the good fight, because i respect your posts/thoughts/opinions that seamlessly blend goofy fanboyism w/ well-reasoned analysis

023fa35f7cda3e56b59ed1da6379c078.gif

...even if i totally wanna kick your ass a lot of the time

cannibal-wink.gif

• Zach Cherry

Hmm, sounds interesting, and your recommendation bumps it up considerably higher on my watchlist. For whatever reason, I've been on an old show kick lately - I rewatched The Wire and then seeing the entire Oz cast made me want to rewatch Oz - but I've been wanting to see at least shows new to me if not brand new shows, so I have Mad Men ready to go (tried it once over a decade ago and want to try again) and now Severance is on the list, too. No idea when I'll get to it, but when I do, I'll tag you for sure.

It was actually kinda strange because the first two seasons where original content then season 3 was pretty much a word for word remake of Manhunter/Red Dragon. Which is kinda strange. I loved it but why do it a third time? it makes me think they may have run out of ideas and that is why it was cancelled, i dunno just guessing on that one.

This was Fuller's plan from the jump: He wanted the backstory "prologue" type stuff to lead into the book adaptations. But, genius that he is, he was still threading through book material even in the first two seasons, from the Clarice arc with that missing FBI agent to the animal guy Will had to take out who was a clear Red Dragon analogue. Eventually, though, Fuller was going to get to the books, and when he did, it was going to become a true adaptation. Still, though, he introduced his own twists and played with the characters and events, as well as the timeline combining prologue books with the "proper" Hannibal books---like the Will/Francis museum throwdown, which wasn't in the book but which was one of the coolest parts of the series, not to mention the sequence when Hannibal sics Francis on Will's family, which is a non-issue in both the book Red Dragon and the film Manhunter but which was done very differently in Hannibal.

Even as Fuller started to work through a specific book for a specific season, there was still plenty of originality to go around.

@Bullitt68 I couldn’t get through 2 episodes of S3 after LOVING S2. Now, it may have been I was trying to watch and the times were tough but — is it worth it?

To clarify, you're asking me if it's worth it to watch the GOAT dramatic series?

54332aacf61d96c2f55671598978fb48789f8e2d.gif

For further clarification, are you saying that there were two episodes in Season 3 that you disliked or are you saying that you tried to watch Season 3, couldn't even make it through the first two episodes, and still haven't even seen Season 3?

Regardless of how you answer the above, though, my answer is still the same: Watch Season 3 immediately so that you can see the entirety of the GOAT dramatic series ;)

023fa35f7cda3e56b59ed1da6379c078.gif

cannibal-wink.gif

Hmm, sounds interesting, and your recommendation bumps it up considerably higher on my watchlist. For whatever reason, I've been on an old show kick lately - I rewatched The Wire and then seeing the entire Oz cast made me want to rewatch Oz - but I've been wanting to see at least shows new to me if not brand new shows, so I have Mad Men ready to go (tried it once over a decade ago and want to try again) and now Severance is on the list, too. No idea when I'll get to it, but when I do, I'll tag you for sure.

This was Fuller's plan from the jump: He wanted the backstory "prologue" type stuff to lead into the book adaptations. But, genius that he is, he was still threading through book material even in the first two seasons, from the Clarice arc with that missing FBI agent to the animal guy Will had to take out who was a clear Red Dragon analogue. Eventually, though, Fuller was going to get to the books, and when he did, it was going to become a true adaptation. Still, though, he introduced his own twists and played with the characters and events, as well as the timeline combining prologue books with the "proper" Hannibal books---like the Will/Francis museum throwdown, which wasn't in the book but which was one of the coolest parts of the series, not to mention the sequence when Hannibal sics Francis on Will's family, which is a non-issue in both the book Red Dragon and the film Manhunter but which was done very differently in Hannibal.

Even as Fuller started to work through a specific book for a specific season, there was still plenty of originality to go around.

To clarify, you're asking me if it's worth it to watch the GOAT dramatic series?

54332aacf61d96c2f55671598978fb48789f8e2d.gif

For further clarification, are you saying that there were two episodes in Season 3 that you disliked or are you saying that you tried to watch Season 3, couldn't even make it through the first two episodes, and still haven't even seen Season 3?

Regardless of how you answer the above, though, my answer is still the same: Watch Season 3 immediately so that you can see the entirety of the GOAT dramatic series ;)
Hahah I couldn’t get through 2 episodes after LOVING the first 2 seasons.

I felt like the writing was jarring. Every character turned into Hannibal with their dialogue. I’ll watch it again.

Hahah I couldn’t get through 2 episodes after LOVING the first 2 seasons.

I felt like the writing was jarring. Every character turned into Hannibal with their dialogue. I’ll watch it again.

It's definitely a jarring switch, but that was the point. Speaking for myself, I settled in pretty quickly, and the jumps in space and time eventually settle down as the characters settle into their new existences...until, of course, a new violent killer shows up and Will and Hannibal cross paths again 😁

Back