Votes: 2 13.3%
  • For the most part

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Hit and miss

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Hardly at all

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
Mike McCallum told me a great story about Julian Jackson once. He said "he hit me so hard in the first round that i couldn't feel my legs and one of them started twitching. So I knew I had to knock him out quick in the second round or I was going to get knocked out."

5:35 mark was the punch he was talking about

Mike McCallum told me a great story about Julian Jackson once. He said "he hit me so hard in the first round that i couldn't feel my legs and one of them started twitching. So I knew I had to knock him out quick in the second round or I was going to get knocked out."

Caught him right around the temple. Very surprising Mike stayed on his feet

i loved the honesty. most fighters of that level never admit to being hurt or being at a disadvantage but mike was the opposite. he said i knew i had to knock him out fast or i was gonna get knocked out too.

finally got to meet Julian last year and for some reason expected him to be a jerk. couldn't have been nicer

People that rate Tyson as one of the top power punchers in history are completely off.
Mike Tyson had power but it was his speed and angles that created his KOs. 1 punch power is saved for the Jullian Jackson's, Sonny Liston, Naoya, Wilder...
Tommy Morrison had more natural KO power than Tyson. And Tysons one of my ATGs but it was his speed and tenacity that made his style look so violent.

i loved the honesty. most fighters of that level never admit to being hurt or being at a disadvantage but mike was the opposite. he said i knew i had to knock him out fast or i was gonna get knocked out too.

finally got to meet Julian last year and for some reason expected him to be a jerk. couldn't have been nicer
His KO of Graham is still one of the greatest.

He’s at the top of the list. Shavers too.

People often overlook Lyle and Lennox who could crack.

The Baer brothers were ones who should have been in the hardest hitting HW poll we had but for whatever reason they were not. Foreman was obviously always going to win that but Max should have been in it until the end.

People that rate Tyson as one of the top power punchers in history are completely off.
Mike Tyson had power but it was his speed and angles that created his KOs. 1 punch power is saved for the Jullian Jackson's, Sonny Liston, Naoya, Wilder...
Tommy Morrison had more natural KO power than Tyson. And Tysons one of my ATGs but it was his speed and tenacity that made his style look so violent.
I agree, and I think that Tyson is one of the most often ill described athletes in our history. Of course he had good power, but what he could do in the pocket or phone booth via accumulation was fucking crazy, even today.

I don't think he hit quite as hard as wilder or shavers if you measured it. Probably in the ballpark. But I'd pick Tyson in the fantasy match up everytime

Randall Bailey wasn’t the greatest technical boxer but he belongs on any ATG punchers list IMO.

Yes so humble, the interviews I’ve seen with old man Jackson he seemed like the most decent soul. Imagine if he had a mean streak and a chip on his shoulder…

So Gervonta Davis is a harder puncher than Bob Foster, Tommy Hearns and Tito Trinidad.

Now that’s an interesting take.
I was amused Inoue couldn’t make the top tier and shares a tier with Hamed who couldn’t beat the one true elite he faced. In current times Inoue has finally left Wilder in the rear view mirror because he does it at weights where KOs are less likely and doesn’t fucking miss at all. He might hold the overall crown now too

Mike was a bad man, in that era, probably no one else that damned good went so unheralded.

haven't seen that in a bit, perhaps just a tad premature in the stoppage but he was ready to tear his man apart. edit; did they fuck up and announce Jackson as the winner? wierd.

I'm honestly not sure if this is a decent list or an absolutely terrible one. It feels like both at the same time.

I agree, and I think that Tyson is one of the most often ill described athletes in our history. Of course he had good power, but what he could do in the pocket or phone booth via accumulation was fucking crazy, even today.

I don't think he hit quite as hard as wilder or shavers if you measured it. Probably in the ballpark. But I'd pick Tyson in the fantasy match up everytime

What we consider power has always been a combo of raw force, timing, accuracy and speed. We are judging on how guys can deliver KO shots while avoiding getting put away themselves - it's a very different dynamic than just smashing a punch machine.

Some guys we consider pillow-fisted are guys who simply lack the ability to time heavy shots or who simply don't throw them often because of a more defensive style.

Some guys who we consider good punchers are simply guys that have an aptitude for timing bigger shots that others can't and even guys that just expose themselves, both defensively and cardio-wise, more by trying to land bigger shots more often.

If we put hundreds of pros on the same punch machine, we'd find that some guys we consider big punchers aren't particularly impressive in terms of raw power and some guys we don't think of as punchers can crack, they just lack the ability/desire to use it as effectively in competition.

I was amused Inoue couldn’t make the top tier and shares a tier with Hamed who couldn’t beat the one true elite he faced. In current times Inoue has finally left Wilder in the rear view mirror because he does it at weights where KOs are less likely and doesn’t fucking miss at all. He might hold the overall crown now too
Hamed ko'd cans like superman bit
Wilder was dropping dudes bigger than him though

Always a fun list to peruse, but there are different types of punchers. Foreman and Tyson, to me, are different. I guess I rate Foreman as a harder hitter so I'd rate him higher than Tyson but different body types and punch deliveries feel different.

Marquez vs Pacquiao. One thuds. One snaps.

most of those carribean boxers are about the sweetest in the sport. I think Emile Griffith was an Islander too and watching interviews, i can't imagine him ever being angry. I was surprised that he challenged the Great Ali when Ali was making passes at his wife. After seeing Gil Clancy yell at him like he'd do, I just assumed he was totally passive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back