Has wmma regressed?

Ernesta Kareckaite is making her debut this weekend. Her fight on the Contender Series was absolutely awesome. The entire PBP was cheering. You could not possibly ask for a more game fighter or a more entertaining audition for the UFC.

Strawweight was always good. FLW has improved now, with rising prospects like Blanchfield and Natalia Silva.
Bantamweight is god awful. Their last title fight is one of the lowest skilled title fights ever.

You are accidentally very close to the truth. If WMMA haters could get over their insecurity and biases and actually watch the fights for what they are, they would see how entertaining they can be.

As it is they don't bother watching, or if they do they are rolling their eyes the whole time and not actually paying attention.

There can be an absolute war happening and there will still be dipshits in the PBP calling it boring.

Forgive me if I don't take those opinions seriously.
i had you in mind when i wrote that

Even if the skill level of the fighters isn't diminishing in WMMA (which is arguable), the amount of people who give a shit about it has.
<FookIsThatGuy>
You seem to be ignoring the existence of the Chinese (and the massive audience potential they constitute) giving a shit about Champion Zhang Weili. It won't be a male fighter who brings them into the fold. It'll have been WMMA. And, on a lesser scale, I expect that champion Alexa Grasso has Mexican fans of the UFC increasing, and that this has influenced her being picked by the UFC to be a TUF coach.

Last edited:
Zhang Weili will ultimately bring the UFC more TV views than Ronda, if she hasn't already done so. China is a vast new market.
I doubt it, she has already been in the UFC for quite some time, so why would suddenly China start caring about her this much?

I doubt it, she has already been in the UFC for quite some time, so why would suddenly China start caring about her this much?
Do you have any idea how many people will be watching Zhang vs Yan in China? Any guess?

A WMMA fight is co-main event in one of the biggest cards in UFC history. Two Chinese women.

Do you think that's because the UFC are bad businessmen and they couldn't find better fights? If nobody cares about WMMA, and China doesn't care about Zhang, why is she the Co-Main if UFC 300?

<3>

There would be nothing sudden about it. The last deal that the UFC made in exchange its for media rights in China got the UFC paid in the high eight figures.

UFC’s Five-Year Chinese Media Deal Valued at ‘High Eight Figures’ as Promotion Expands​

Eben Novy-Williams
Wed, Feb 24, 2021

yep she sure is. and the only difference between now and her as a fighter ten years ago is she is slower now. she hasnt evolved as a fighter in any way shape or form.
To be fair, wmma was already at the lowest possible point from the beginning and has never progressed. Yes it seems even worse than before, but it's just as bad. It's insane that girls like Grasso and Pennington are nowadays UFC champs.

There would be nothing sudden about it. The last deal that the UFC made in exchange its for media rights in China got the UFC paid in the high eight figures.

UFC’s Five-Year Chinese Media Deal Valued at ‘High Eight Figures’ as Promotion Expands​

Eben Novy-Williams
Wed, Feb 24, 2021

Cool, now I'll root against every Chinese fighter even more than the dagestani wrestlers

Even if the skill level of the fighters isn't diminishing in WMMA (which is arguable), the amount of people who give a shit about it has.
That's a good thing, I hope they get rid of it on the ufc

I'd say it's the opposite of regression.

We just had such big stars early on because women's MMA wasn't as developed. So Rousey became godlike as a one trick pony but was shown to be human once the others started catching oop. Cyborg was a well rounded & fully trained MMA athlete dominating the early fields with god like effect, but was shown to be human once WMMA started developing.

We even had our modern GOAT version of WMMA wit teh Lioness... so thingz are progressing.

Pennington being champ makes sense in such a thinned out division. It's always been thin though. The UFC waz going to nix it at one point were it not for Nunes being double champ there.

Last edited:
<FookIsThatGuy>
You seem to be ignoring the existence of the Chinese (and the massive audience potential they constitute) giving a shit about Champion Zhang Weili. It won't be a male fighter who brings them into the fold. It'll have been WMMA. And, on a lesser scale, I expect that champion Alexa Grasso has Mexican fans of the UFC increasing, and that this has influenced her being picked by the UFC to be a TUF coach.
What the Chinese like for entertainment/sports doesn't affect me.

The only way it would is if a Chinese born male fighter became a dominant champ in the UFC. As is, Chinese born male fighters can barely get a win in the UFC. I remember in 2011 and 2012 Tiequan Zhang was going to be the Chinese star and the only guy he could beat was the ultimate can crusher Jason Reinhardt (who is an amusing story in itself).

Alexa Grasso is a different story as she speaks English, is attractive and Mexico is right next door vs a rival country all the way around the world.

I'd say it's the opposite of regression.

We just had such big stars early on because women's MMA wasn't as developed. So Rousey became godlike as a one trick pony but was shown to be human once the others started catching oop. Cyborg was a well rounded & fully trained MMA athlete dominating the early fields with god like effect, but was shown to be human once WMMA started developing.

We even had our Jon Jones of WMMA wit teh Lioness... so thingz are progressing.

Pennington being champ makes sense in such a thinned out division. It's always been thin though. The UFC waz going to nix it at one point were it not for Nunes being double champ there.

Ya, no way Nunes is comparable to Jones. While probably the best WMMA fighter so far, WAY too many losses.

That's a good thing, I hope they get rid of it on the ufc
Agreed. Invicta exists for a reason.

Back