Has WW ever had a devastating power puncher?

There have been lots, but they weren't well-rounded enough to survive that division.

The answer to your question is that WW is the tipping point between where speed and agility dominate vs power and technique.

At WW, you have to have be at least somewhat well-rounded or you can't be a top-ranked fighter.

The devastating power punchers didn't have enough game outside of that to stick.

Daley was an example you mentioned--Semtex is one of the hardest punchers there is.

Another example would be Sam Stout.

I'd argue that there is one guy that has huge punching power and had a lot of success at WW--Lawler.
Sam Stout was a LW and his nickname was kind of ironic since he really didn't have huge power and relied more on volume.

Hendricks, Woodley.

Perhaps even Conor.
Lol, how fucking delusional are people....

"Perhaps even Conor"... You mean the guy with 1 1 punch KO in his career at 145 lbs?

I always know his name will come up in these threads but I still can't actually believe it when it does, lol.

Yeah, the guy with 1 TKO at WW that took about 30 punches in a fight against another LWs punching power is " perhaps" comparable with the 1 punch kill power of guys like Tyron, Hendricks, Ellenberger, Daly, Lawler and Rumble and should be mentioned in a conversation about the biggest WW punchers, a division he doesn't have a single KO victory in, lol.

Makes perfect sense....

I disagree that you have to KO people with both hands to be the greatest puncher. His style is designed to lead people into his left hand. His hand traps, kicks, and feints are all designed for one thing, his left hand.

Also what does kicking even have to do with him being the greatest puncher?

That said I don't rate Conor as the greatest puncher.
In my opinion, bring able to set a punch with your weaker hand is a sign you train and dedicate to it, so this is not the driver, but the basics. If you cant use your weaker hand to punch, you cant be named elite puncher.
Train some boxing and you will understand what Im saying

Yes - but this is specifically about power, not force

No, it's actually about force. The subject is instantaneous ability to deliver a devastating blow. TS specifically dismisses the accumulation of damage over time. Let's look at the literal definitions of those two physics concepts -

upload_2020-5-8_9-9-19.png

One-punch knockout "power" is clearly about the ability to deliver a certain amount of FORCE in a single blow.

In my opinion, bring able to set a punch with your weaker hand is a sign you train and dedicate to it, so this is not the driver, but the basics. If you cant use your weaker hand to punch, you cant be named elite puncher.
Train some boxing and you will understand what Im saying
I get you man and fair enough but his bladed stance will probably not produce many knockouts at all, and there's a reason why you don't see that stance in boxing much or at all i.e no kicks.

Huh?
258ae479e73cc6bccc12239393aaa639348ca374r1-500-281_hq.gif

Alhassan-finishes-Ward-slow-mo.gif

WelcomeMeekGrasshopper-size_restricted.gif
He got cleared of the charges, So I guess he will be back. Thread backfired on OP, but who doesn’t like KO gifs...

185 has had guys like Manhoef and Hendo.
205 has had guys like Rumble and Hendo.
265 has had guys like Ngannou and Hendo.

Rumble was good but he didn't have that same god fearing power at 170. 170 has had guys with good power like Johnny Hendricks and Paul Daley. But the division has never seen anyone with the kind of devastating power these guys have. What haven't we ever seen anyone with power like these guys at 170?

giphy.gif

WickedSlightAustralianfurseal-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Stop making thread your casual is showing

Guy lists rumble at 205 and doesnt even know he use to fight at 170 doing the same thing lol...

Theres been more then a few power punchers.

Woodley
Hendricks
Lawler
Rumble
Jake ellenberger
Mike perry
Geoff neal

Etc

Do your research!?!

They were legendary ko's that stand out in MMA history. And his ko's before those two are outstanding as well. He climbed to the championship levels where outright KOING your opponent becomes increasingly rare. But it is clear his power was superior and separate from guys like Condit and GSP who rely on cardio and technique.

Daley, Lawler, Woodley, and prime Hendricks. Not many other welterweights are worth mentioning. Masvidal is starting to command a bit of attention though. But I think Conor would KO him.
Conor went life and death with Nate Diaz who in turn was a punching bag for Jorge. Jorge was able to recover getting dropped from guys like Daley and Till and has the power to KO MWs.

It's not the same kind of power. Hendricks hurt guys but he didn't kill them. You see his shots and you're like "that would KO me but it wouldn't kill me." You see the kind of power that the divisions at 185 and above have seen, and you're like "That shot that Hendo hit Bisping with could kill me." It's not just cool to watch like Hendricks KOs are, it actually chills your bones.
You are absolutely incorrect

Damn lol. Made him look like a homeless guy nodded off
Next leveling receiving of a knock out technique. Prevents the head smacking off the canvas. Guys need to get on his level of how to take a KO.

Manhoef fights at 170 now? Last I checked thats WW....

Why would anyone mention Smith? He fought 3 times at WW and fought the majority of his career at MW and LHW.
I guess thats' fair. Though he found himself at the end of his career at WW and still had all his power. People mentioned Rumble, who instead went up. Only a 1/4 or so of Rumble's career at was WW

Woodley? Hendricks? Imagine if woodley threw caution to the wind and just banged. Results would be hideous. Wouldn't we also he able to count Geoff neal as well?

Back