Hate to have to admit it.

Jack Handy jr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But grappling in the GI is "harder" than No-GI.

I'm not trying to start a poo slinging poo storm. I've just primarily trained No Gi and wrestling for the past ten years. And yesterday I was invited to a sport BJJ only gym, dojo whatever open mat. I donned a gi with my white belt lol. Now I was able to tap a purple and handled a brown and pretty much did whatever I wanted to the blues that were there. But Phuck was it hard.

I damn near gassed just trying to break free while they were just kinda relaxing albeit with a death grip on my Gi, my belt, my pants. I couldn't scramble and move the way I'm use to doing. I could not "shake" them off easy and I had my back taken several times by even the blues.

I found that breaking wrist control in the No-gi world is much easier than if somebody is death clinching your sleeve. it took a vast amount of strength, and cardio resources to tap these guys and I'm a big dude. I was completely spent by the time it was over. Have any other primarily No Gi guys experienced this?

Last edited:
It's not harder, per se, just different. Your nogi techniques are less efficient when there are grips involved. That's why I think it's so important to train both. If you stuck with it for 6 months to a year I'm sure your skill set would even out.

It's not harder, per se, just different. Your nogi techniques are less efficient when there are grips involved. That's why I think it's so important to train both. If you stuck with it for 6 months to a year I'm sure your skill set would even out.

Maybe that's it I guess I unconsciously assumed that it would be "easy" to pull a guy's hand of my Gi pants but damn it wasn't. I felt like I was entering quasi spaz land just trying to break the grips yesterday.

Those gi people would have as much of an issue if you were to toss them onto a wrestling mat or simply did away with the gi.

All it is, is unfamiliarity that will go away with time and experience.

Maybe that's it I guess I unconsciously assumed that it would be "easy" to pull a guy's hand of my Gi pants but damn it wasn't. I felt like I was entering quasi spaz land just trying to break the grips yesterday.

Breaking the grips of experienced individuals can get very hard and very frustrating, especially if you're not experienced with the gi to begin with.

It is different not harder. I notice that I do better against some brown belts in GI and better against other brown belts in NO GI.

For some having that contro of the GI is vital for my guard retention and sweeps. For others the NO GI is easier for me to pass guard because they no longer have as good as grips.

For someone like you, who did a lot of NO GI then went to GI one day you are going to have a hard time because your game wasn't built to worry about lapel chokes, lapel sweeps, pull the GI etc.

It is different not harder. I notice that I do better against some brown belts in GI and better against other brown belts in NO GI.

For some having that contro of the GI is vital for my guard retention and sweeps. For others the NO GI is easier for me to pass guard because they no longer have as good as grips.

For someone like you, who did a lot of NO GI then went to GI one day you are going to have a hard time because your game wasn't built to worry about lapel chokes, lapel sweeps, pull the GI etc.

Yeah as I continue to age I may eventually do GI ONLY. STARTING FROM THE GROUND WAS A LIL EASIER Though not necessarily realistic.

I've trained both albeit not at a high level. I've always found defence was easier with a gi

I feel more like a man in the gi...no go has become very weird over the years...next thing you know no gi is gonna turn into no clothes whatsoever

I agree.

I've always felt I was better at No-Gi, that I could roll competitively with purple belts and up, whereas in GI I'd just get shut out.

Everything comes easier/faster in No-Gi, transitions, chokes, sweeps, escapes. It's just more fluid.

I feel more like a man in the gi...no go has become very weird over the years...next thing you know no gi is gonna turn into no clothes whatsoever

Weird: t-shirt and exercise shorts.
Unweird: belted cotton robe reminiscent of feudal Japan.

I agree.

I've always felt I was better at No-Gi, that I could roll competitively with purple belts and up, whereas in GI I'd just get shut out.

Everything comes easier/faster in No-Gi, transitions, chokes, sweeps, escapes. It's just more fluid.

I didn't have a c0cky attitude yesterday but seeing that I've trained and rolled with some HIGH level MMA guys I'm thinking okay I throw on the GI and go tool some Hobbyists (may a lil c0cky lol) man I was wrong lol. the most disconcerting aspect was how easily my kimura from side control was negated by a couple of guys just grabbing their Gi pants. in nogi my arm subs from side control have damn near been 100% over the past say 8 years.

I agree.

this is because the technical disparities equal up once the gi is off, blues and purples there is no much difference...

I agree.

don't know where you're at cardio or endurance wise I have average cardio for a bigun but did you find yourself gassing in an odd way trying to break grips

I didn't have a c0cky attitude yesterday but seeing that I've trained and rolled with some HIGH level MMA guys I'm thinking okay I throw on the GI and go tool some Hobbyists (may a lil c0cky lol) man I was wrong lol. the most disconcerting aspect was how easily my kimura from side control was negated by a couple of guys just grabbing their Gi pants. in nogi my arm subs from side control have damn near been 100% over the past say 8 years.

If your rolling with purples and Browns then you are getting away from hobbyist territory. There are years of dedication and hours of mat time. Sure they can be considered hobbyists but it's walking a fine line.

Yeah, the grip fighting is terrible. I absolutely hate it when some one grabs my lapel and pulls me into their guard. RNCs are also harder get. Just tough all around.

Also, the kimura from side control has always been my kryptonite.

this just in, man unused to rolling in the gi finds difficulty rolling in the gi.

news at eleven.

Weird: t-shirt and exercise shorts.
Unweird: belted cotton robe reminiscent of feudal Japan.

Nowdays i see more guys in short shorts and no shirt in no gi...go to a naga tourney and guys wear tight compression pants and shirts so their dicks bulge out...its weird.

I've been training primarily with the Gi, and I'm about to start going to the nogi classes starting this week for the first time in maybe a year. I can see my guard being passed much easier and my defense being shit in nogi. Oh well, gotta start somewhere.

But grappling in the GI is "harder" than No-GI.

I'm not trying to start a poo slinging poo storm. I've just primarily trained No Gi and wrestling for the past ten years. And yesterday I was invited to a sport BJJ only gym, dojo whatever open mat. I donned a gi with my white belt lol. Now I was able to tap a purple and handled a brown and pretty much did whatever I wanted to the blues that were there. But Phuck was it hard.

I damn near gassed just trying to break free while they were just kinda relaxing albeit with a death grip on my Gi, my belt, my pants. I couldn't scramble and move the way I'm use to doing. I could not "shake" them off easy and I had my back taken several times by even the blues.

I found that breaking wrist control in the No-gi world is much easier than if somebody is death clinching your sleeve. it took a vast amount of strength, and cardio resources to tap these guys and I'm a big dude. I was completely spent by the time it was over. Have any other primarily No Gi guys experienced this?

if youd been doing gi for 10 years and went to your first no gi class, im sure youd be saying no gi is a lot harder.

Back