Have you ever considered going vegan

You're probably right, but the point is its death all the way down. The environmental arguement is much more compelling in my opinion.
I agree, it is definitely a matter of shades of grey. I'm just pointing out it isn't an incoherent position, from their point of view it is the less bad option.

Honestly they'd probably be responsible for less net-suffering/death if they'd chip in on one pastured cow for the year, or shoot themselves a deer. The only diet with less of a death footprint than eating a few large wild animals would be "freeganism" (dumpster diving). The issue is there isn't enough wild game or thrown away food to support a whole country so I won't fault people for being part of the conventional food system and trying their best.

The environmental argument for plant-based really is powerful, I agree there. For example while supporting local production is great, when you look at a full life cycle analysis of the food, eating veggies that is flown between continents is going to have less of a footprint, per calorie even, than local beef in 99% of cases, its wild.

Thought bout it before but saw some lovely steaks on my ig feed today, am in Bosnia and steak is like half the price then in Germany, so guess what I'm gonna be buying today.

I think sugar and simple carbs are the worst. After that refined oils.

Thought bout it before but saw some lovely steaks on my ig feed today, am in Bosnia and steak is like half the price then in Germany, so guess what I'm gonna be buying today.

I think sugar and simple carbs are the worst. After that refined oils.

Sugars and seed oils are extremely toxic yet promoted by "health experts"... Nefarious shit

Have been in the V gang a few years now .

Have been in the V gang a few years now .
so you carry around your V card? :)

and for the thread's question, it'd be hardest for me to give up dairy. we don't eat a lot of meat, but always have butter, cheese, and greek yogurt in the fridge

so you carry around your V card? :)

and for the thread's question, it'd be hardest for me to give up dairy. we don't eat a lot of meat, but always have butter, cheese, and greek yogurt in the fridge
If only someone would be so kind to give me a V card.

indeed dairy is more difficult, though I believe now it’s arguably broadly a crueler industry than the meat one.

I was vegan for a while in the early 2000's. I was a runner at the time, no combat sports. Aside from making restaurant ordering more difficult it honestly didn't change much for me in terms of how I felt (I was much younger at the time of course, maybe that'd be different now.)
I stopped only because of the social awkwardness. I mean everyone in my life was supportive but I hated being the guy people had to worry about providing the "right" food for. And I wasn't really doing it for political reasons or anything like that.

Nowadays I eat (and cook) "normal" food when eating with others but go kind of back and forth between being vegan when eating alone or just not worrying about it.

My general rule is don't eat shitty meat. So i try to stay away from low end burger joints and stuff. I try to get quality product from good sources.

On a moral level, which wasn't my focus but is something I think about, getting a dog completely changed my thinking in weird ways. I'm utterly infatuated with my dog which gives me a lot more respect for animals than I ever had before. But also I see this animal that I love is filled with murderous, ravenous bloodlust for other animals. So "don't eat shitty meat" is also my moral compromise. Admittedly, though, it's not a goal I always rise to.

I've been vegan for almost 10 years now, and imo with a healthy diet and correct supplementation it's one of the best diets you can have. But basically the further you can get from the standard American diet the better. For most people I'd guess a Paleo-esque diet would probably be best though, but with how expensive actually eating healthy is, just staying away from processed shit is the bare minimum. And cows milk. No one should have to drink cows milk.

Nah -- I've heard going Vegan causes vagina shaped sores to form all over your body

Kidding aside, I've never found vegan food to be all that tasty or filling. Life's just too short IMHO. Eat well. Eat clean. Control your intake.

How do you know if someone is a vegan? They’ll tell you

I was vegan for a year in a house full of mates, we did it to cut down on our grocery bill. I felt pretty good and had the biggest and dirtiest shits of my life.

I tried it for a month and it didn't work for me personally.

There's a lot of Frankenstein food out there to mimic what you give up on a vegan diet, so if you're eating that ultra processed stuff, there's no point. The sheer amount of time I had to spend cooking and eating to keep my calories up, and energy levels up just didn't work out in reality. If a large part of your needs are being met by expensive supplements then your diet is flawed, both nutritionally and financially.

A lot of the benefits people feel when going vegan is simply due to cutting out all the processed bullshit they've previously been eating, it's not strictly down to the new foods they're eating. The same can be said when trying vegetarian/carnivore/keto etc.

These days I'm just more deliberate about my diet, but I don't adhere to any ethics per sé. If I want fries or ice cream I'll have it, because life needs to be enjoyable. What works for me is:

--------------------------

Rule 1: Try to avoid as much processed foods as possible.
Rule 2: Aim for 200G protein from fatty animal sources per day, then backfill calories as needed.

So a typical grocery blueprint for me looks roughly like:

Proteins:
Ground Turkey, ground beef, steak, salmon, sardines, eggs, full fat Greek yogurt.

Carbs:
White rice, sweet potato.

Fats:
Butter, coconut oil, tallow etc

Fruits/Vegetables:
Broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, mushrooms, asparagus.
strawberries, blueberries, banana, mango, honey.

not full vegan
maybe 80- 90 percent vegan diet
and then 10 - 20 percent meat

I tried it for a month and it didn't work for me personally.

There's a lot of Frankenstein food out there to mimic what you give up on a vegan diet, so if you're eating that ultra processed stuff, there's no point. The sheer amount of time I had to spend cooking and eating to keep my calories up, and energy levels up just didn't work out in reality. If a large part of your needs are being met by expensive supplements then your diet is flawed, both nutritionally and financially.

A lot of the benefits people feel when going vegan is simply due to cutting out all the processed bullshit they've previously been eating, it's not strictly down to the new foods they're eating. The same can be said when trying vegetarian/carnivore/keto etc.

These days I'm just more deliberate about my diet, but I don't adhere to any ethics per sé. If I want fries or ice cream I'll have it, because life needs to be enjoyable. What works for me is:

--------------------------

Rule 1: Try to avoid as much processed foods as possible.
Rule 2: Aim for 200G protein from fatty animal sources per day, then backfill calories as needed.

So a typical grocery blueprint for me looks roughly like:

Proteins:
Ground Turkey, ground beef, steak, salmon, sardines, eggs, full fat Greek yogurt.

Carbs:
White rice, sweet potato.

Fats:
Butter, coconut oil, tallow etc

Fruits/Vegetables:
Broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, mushrooms, asparagus.
strawberries, blueberries, banana, mango, honey.
<mma4>

It would be for ethical reasons. While not too religious I think if you have the ability to you shouldn’t eat a living creature. I have tried, but it’s very hard and I kind of gave up. Maybe one day

If I even eat one meal without meat I feel like I'm missing something. There's no way I could go vegetarian, let alone vegan.

Someone I worked with went vegan for environmental reasons. Her health just fell apart. She had no energy, look jaundiced and was completely miserable most of the time. She also went from being petite to emaciated. She basically looked like shit.

I did consider going vegan at one point. I became aware of the environmental impact of animal agriculture and the health benefits of a plant-based diet. I explored vegan recipes and learned about plant-based nutrition. Ultimately, I chose to follow a balanced diet that includes both plant-based foods and some animal products, reducing my meat consumption while still getting the nutrients I need. It's about finding a personal balance that aligns with my values and keeps me healthy.

Back