Have you ever shot a real gun in your life?

Off to buy my first next weekend. Been meaning to for ages, never thought I would feel the need to.
Why are you buying your first gun andwhat type of gun? Do you plan to learn how to use it?

I've hunted and gone to the range most of my life. No handguns as its a different license in Canada. I have a shotgun, 306, .22lr.

Nope. Never even held one. Never heard one fired either except for tv and movies.

What branch? The minimum when I served was once a year.

Yeah but you're a Jarhead. "Every Marine is a rifleman"

In the USCG it is possible depending on your rating and or career path to never fire a weapon after basic. I might hazard to guess Navy and Airforce are similar?

I grew up hunting, so plenty of experience shooting long guns. First shot pistol at basic, sucked with it, bought one so I could get better and carried when qualifying for a boarding team. Then aced the shotgun course, so when we did any high risk boarding, I always got the 12 gauge. Shot expert on the m16 but never was in a situation where I had to carry aside from force protection drills.

Was also a mounted m60 gunner (dating myself) then m240 before I advanced myself out of the gunner spot to mount captain on a ship.

Then got into working buoys and haven't fired a gun for the CG in years, but still shoot for fun/hunt when I go home to Michigan.

What branch? The minimum when I served was once a year.
Yeah, I maintained 9mm and shotgun quals my whole 20 years, with .45 in there early on and AR-15 a few years injected in there.
My follow up question is have you ever had to take a dump while wearing a gun belt? Training never covered what to do with your weapon in this circumstance......

More recently, I took my wife and kids to the range to familiarize everyone with the basics.

In the USCG it is possible depending on your rating and or career path to never fire a weapon after basic. I might hazard to guess Navy and Airforce are similar?
Sure is possible in the Navy, but on a Submarine, everyone is part of the reaction force to defend the ship so had to maintain quals. After 9-11 (I think that was the catalyst, it may have been the attack on the USS Cole. IDK, I'm old and forgetful), they upped the number of armed watch standers while in port, so as the engineering department duty supervisor (or the roving mechanical watch) you would have to be armed as well as the topside access security watch. And prior to that, in a total Barney Fife way, the armed watch would have ammo but not in his gun. After that 2 topside watches and 2 below decks watches were always armed with actual loaded weapons.

plus it looks fuckin ridiculous. strings everywhere, wheels and shit. bro, i'm trying to shoot a sharp stick further, not direct a laser beam from Mars. gtfoh with all this fancy shit that's just going to get tangled in tree branches and bushes. i'm a simple man, i hunt with a knife and a bunch of dogs. but i respect archers who use bows like our ancestors did. all this fancy shit just gives me vibes that there's more points of failure or something to go wrong than the simple bows.
Very good points sir.

Also....WTF are you hunting with a knife and dogs? Lol

Sure is possible in the Navy, but on a Submarine, everyone is part of the reaction force to defend the ship so had to maintain quals. After 9-11 (I think that was the catalyst, it may have been the attack on the USS Cole. IDK, I'm old and forgetful), they upped the number of armed watch standers while in port, so as the engineering department duty supervisor (or the roving mechanical watch) you would have to be armed as well as the topside access security watch. And prior to that, in a total Barney Fife way, the armed watch would have ammo but not in his gun. After that 2 topside watches and 2 below decks watches were always armed with actual loaded weapons.

I totally get on a sub given crew size vs ship size and the fact it's a major strategic assest.

I grew up hunting, so plenty of experience shooting long guns. First shot pistol at basic, sucked with it, bought one so I could get better and carried when qualifying for a boarding team. Then aced the shotgun course, so when we did any high risk boarding, I always got the 12 gauge. Shot expert on the m16 but never was in a situation where I had to carry aside from force protection drills.

Was also a mounted m60 gunner (dating myself) then m240 before I advanced myself out of the gunner spot to mount captain on a ship.

Then got into working buoys and haven't fired a gun for the CG in years, but still shoot for fun/hunt when I go home to Michigan.

"Every Marine a Rifleman" is a motto, but not a practice.

Been shooting most of my life. I've hunted and done a lot of target shooting in rifle and pistol clubs. I shot trap for 37 years until my back gave out. I haven't shot much other than the occasional varmint for the past 7 years but I still have my guns.

I was 5 years old when I got my 410 22LR o/u.

I would take a 2L bottle, and string it up between 2 trees with kite string.

Then my grandfather (who kept my gun in his gun safe) would bring me the gun, review safe operating procedures, and then supervise me shooting. I could hit the bottle cap at like 30-50 yards.

Yes, many times. First “real” gun I shot was a .243 when I was 12 or 13. Got my first buck that day

Quite a few at shooting ranges and quarries.

Pretty fun, but anything fun to shoot, the shells are crazy expensive

Sure, I just like making up going to prison just so i can complain that that my state doesn't allow american citizens to own a gun if they ever got a felony on their record.
So your a felon and you now can’t own a gun. Wow, what a travesty. I’m sure you were completely innocent of the crime of which you were convicted.

But almost all of America agrees that felons shouldn’t be allowed to own firearms.

So your a felon and you now can’t own a gun. Wow, what a travesty. I’m sure you were completely innocent of the crime of which you were convicted.

But almost all of America agrees that felons shouldn’t be allowed to own firearms.

If they think you're free enough to be in society, you're free enough to protect yourself or vote. Especially if you're paying taxes.

https://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/5/5a/Taurus85.jpg/350px-Taurus85.jpg

Shot this .38 Taurus Model 85 when I was 13, as part of school extra extracurricular group, I was in uniform group called NPCC, National Police Cadet Corps. It's a standard issue for the real Singapore police force back then. They have since changed to glock or something.

1711461415478.png

As all physically fit men in Singapore requires 2 year mandatory military training, once we reach 18 years old. Most will enlist later if we are still studying. I enlisted when I was 21years old and I handled these SAR-21 throughout my service as well.

And again, because I was in the armour unit for my military service and I volunteered for overseas training in India, I was able to fire this Bionix 40/50. 40mm caliber grenade launder.

I used to shoot regularly for many years, especially when I owned an AK 47 and an AR-15. I sold them a few years back because I stopped going to the range. I still have my Springfield 1911 but haven't shot it in years.

You’re slowly becoming a liberal bud. You’ll be driving a Tesla and watching ‘The View’ in no time at this rate..

Back