Have you ever wanted to choke the life out of someone at the gym?

The one time I really wanted to choke someone, I was working out at the YMCA on a peaceful Saturday or Sunday afternoon, and headed for the big power rack to do squats. As I started adjusting the safety bars and the hooks, some idiot walked across the room and said I needed to stay out of the power rack because he was doing circuits and would soon need it, as soon as he finished the exercises he was doing on some other equipment.

Yeah, people who run circuits piss me off. Don't inconvenience others with your bullshit training protocols.

The one time I really wanted to choke someone, I was working out at the YMCA on a peaceful Saturday or Sunday afternoon, and headed for the big power rack to do squats. As I started adjusting the safety bars and the hooks, some idiot walked across the room and said I needed to stay out of the power rack because he was doing circuits and would soon need it, as soon as he finished the exercises he was doing on some other equipment.

What a clown. He shouldn't need a damn power rack to do circuit training because circuit training doesn't require lifting really heavy-ass weights.

TS, if this happens again you might want to ask if you can work in, even if it means you have to strip a bunch of plates off the bar to do your warm-up sets, then put 'em back so the other guys can do their working sets.

I walked away and did leg presses.

So if you end up training at a smaller gym and someone tells you they need to use ALL the equipment for their circuit then what are you going to do? Sit in the locker room till they finished their workout?

Anyways, talking about circuits, the only time I wanted to hurt someone in the weight room is when I was doing bulgarian split squats and a bunch of retards literally surrounded me while doing circuit training - stepping over the equipment I was using while changing stations and all.

That's a good point. If you seem to disappear then you can't really complain if someone else grabs the rack. I usually stay in the general area and do an extended warm-up.

I think I approached it the best way possible... I found some space in the corner of the gym to jump rope for 15 min. I moved back within 10 ft or so of the rack when I started working on squat form. I figured that would be a tactful reminder that I am still here and waiting for when he was done.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Few weeks ago, FInished my squats and incline press and was getting ready to deadifts. AT my gym we have one really nice platform. My lifting partner and I set up 225 for his first deadlift set and went back across the gym to grab our workout logs we had forgotten

We come back to a kid that couldn't have weighed more than 115 lbs with a 35lb curl bar standing on the platform doing "curl and presses". He just rolled our bar and weight off to the side. I ask him if he can move over to the side of the platform where there is plenty of free space for him to do that.

He looks it me like I'm an idiot and tells me "This is what this platform is for." I try not to get mad and tell him that this area has the platform and rubber pads for deadlifitng and doing olympic movements and that deadlifting anywhere else on the concrete can mess up the floor. He sitll looks at me like i'm stupid.

AT this point I'm pretty damn pissed. Since 225 is pretty much my last warm up i pick it up. Walk back on to the platform where he is at, drop it at his feet right in his personal space, set up and star deadlifting. Finish a set of 8 and my lifting partner immediately goes up to the bar, sets up and starts deadlifting. Kid finally gets the message and storms off leaving his ez curl bar with 5lb plates on each side there.

It's not liek our gym is ever crowded... it's the university gym of a very nerdy engineering school. There were tons of other places he could have done that.

i loved the price and open schedule of 24 hr fitness, but i had to move back to the more expensive local gym to avoid murdering people at 24..

24 is like a fuckin social group. 20 people standing around every bench and machine, every dumbbell surrounding them, all just standing around shooting the shit. i despise people that go to the gym to socialize.

oh, and all of the morons who shadow box in the mirror, when you can 125% for certain tell that they have never taken one lesson of any combat sport ever in their life.

i always seemed to find the guys who wanted to use what i was using, when clearly i was not done with my sets.

quite pleased to be back at the small local gym. i can go in there and do whatever i want with no wait time, and its much cleaner and more organized. i appreciate cleanliness at the gym. we call it average joes.

I continuously have visions of wanton rape and slaughter every time I'm in a normal gym. There is no resolution to your issue, because it involves many people, none of whom have the same understanding of politeness, respect,or proper gym etiquette as any other of the bunch.

You could have been me last night, doing walking lunges holding 70lb dumbells in each hand and having a middle aged guy with a puffed out chest drag over an inclined bench and drop it right in your path mid-stride without even batting an eyelash...

Thank Crom for that - I thought it was just me!:eek::icon_twis

I go to a small gym and only with my brother because I go elsewhere for everything else. I find with one bench press that people just ask and wait. Most of the time we go in we cheat a little because we both do dumb bells small and repetitively before benching but ask to go next and usually get a "Sure man."
Sometimes when a guy says "Okay but there was a guy in here who asked but I don't know where he went," we usually take the bench anyway. I don't like one guy who came in and sat on the bench as me and my brother were switching. We assumed he was kidding and laughed and I waited for him to get up but he didn't so I walked behind him ad said nonchalantly to my brother "Hold the door, he won't be able to shout or move when I choke him out. We'll be done and gone when he wakes up."
He left promptly and then we did after realizing he was probably a pikey looking to scare us and steal our stuff.

oh, and all of the morons who shadow box in the mirror, when you can 125% for certain tell that they have never taken one lesson of any combat sport ever in their life.

HA! My Muay Thai coach busted me shadow boxing on the corner while I was waiting for the stoplight to change during an afternoon run... I didn't hear the end of it for months.

TS, if this happens again you might want to ask if you can work in, even if it means you have to strip a bunch of plates off the bar to do your warm-up sets, then put 'em back so the other guys can do their working sets.

I walked away and did leg presses.

......you sir are amazing i would have gone much lighter on my squats than usual just to do alot more to piss the guy off.

Don't forget to pause your extended warm up and stare at them every time they finish a set to try and mentally convince them that they're done.

images

If you have no idea what that refers to (and want to) watch the first 2 minutes of this.

Fuck. I also hate people who want to use the squat rack, at peak time, as part of their convoluted circuit training. At the gym I go to, it's pretty common for people just to bail and leave all the weights on a bar - so if you see an unattended squat rack, even if the barbell is still loaded up it's pretty much fair game. So I started unracking the weight to do my workout sets and a guy comes over all pissed "umm excuse me I'm using that in my circuit". So I put the weight back on. Almost happy to accept that because he had 100kg on there, which is more than most people at this gym ever squat. He proceeds to get to it 5 minutes later and do quarter squats with 100kg. Facepalm.

Fuck. I also hate people who want to use the squat rack, at peak time, as part of their convoluted circuit training. At the gym I go to, it's pretty common for people just to bail and leave all the weights on a bar - so if you see an unattended squat rack, even if the barbell is still loaded up it's pretty much fair game. So I started unracking the weight to do my workout sets and a guy comes over all pissed "umm excuse me I'm using that in my circuit". So I put the weight back on. Almost happy to accept that because he had 100kg on there, which is more than most people at this gym ever squat. He proceeds to get to it 5 minutes later and do quarter squats with 100kg. Facepalm.

Unless they are going into the squat rack next, ok then i will wait, but yeah after waiting for like 7 minutes for some jerk once.The next time I just told him i'd be done before he needed it. Which I was, but was pretty much ready to go again by the time he got to it next. And this guy was doing like 3 reps at like 30 kgs, plus the bar...which is non olympic....so about 40kgs altogether, and they were 1/4 squats at that.

oh man, if i didn't kill someone yesterday, i never will...

the first thing - a guy i train with was suppoased to pick me up at 5:50 p.m. , coz we train at 6
i called him at 5:55 to ask him where he was and he forgot to tell me that he was going straight to the gym after the class...
i had to go by bus
i think i waited for the bus for something like 15 min (instead of the usual 1-8)
and the thing with buses here is that they have sensors on the doors, so unless there is no one like 2-3 feet away from the doors, it can't close
the buses were so fucking full (people going home from school and work...) that we stood on each stop for about 5 mins - FUCKING RAGE!
i had to switch buses at one point, but i decided walking would be faster and the bus wasn't coming for like 10 min
so i walked there, in the snow and just when i was like 100 m from the gym, that bus passes me by - HULK STYLE RAGE!
i think i started training at around 7... and i had to be at around 8:30 in another part of town...
the second thing - the gym was so fucking full yesterday, i don't remember when it was that full
we have 4 eleiko PL bars and a shitload of WL bars (coz it's a WL gym)
of course, all 4 were taken (2 of them were used for 100 lbs seated shoulder press and for the forearm curls are whatever the fuck they are called)
it was ok since the squat rack was taken as well
so i stood there, waiting for this 7 foot douche to finish his 200 lbs 1/8 squats
when he finally was done i realized there aren't enough plates for me (coz like half of the gym decided to to deadlifts at that moment...)
i decided to take those eleiko metal PL plates which are on the other side of the gym, by the leg press...
so i took 4 25 kg plates and 2 20 kg ones on the first run
i see that 7 foot douche going to the leg press and loading the plates on (we only have 4 25 kg ones and 10 20 kg plates)
i go there to grab another pair of 20 kg plates
that was 200 kg on the bar, which was my last warm up set
after that i had to be wraped up so i had to have everything ready (i was doing 240 kg next)
and the fucking douche didn't load all of the 6 remaining plates on the leg press, but 5! fucking 5!
probably just to tease me or something
i took all of the restraining i had not to go there and slap him around
so when he was finally finished, i took those 2 plates i needed and did 240 kg
did that set and the next weight was 260 for reps
2 of my team mates were putting my wraps on
one put them perfectly and the other tied them all the way up to the middle of my right quad (which was injured for like a month and a half)
i didn't really pay attention while he was doing that coz i was psyching myself up for the squat
when i squatted down for the first rep, the pain was so fucking intense (from the wrap sinking deep into my quad and tightening) that i almost fell on my ass :D
but i got the first one up really easy
but the second one was the last one, coz it really started to hurt (but i'm not sure that i would have gotten the third one anyway...)
after all that, i had to rush to the other side of the town, so my whole training session was ruined
i'm still fucking pissed about it
one of these days, i'm gonna break that giant douche in half...

I was having a pretty bad day and just wanted to blow off some steam and do one of those squat only sessions where you just absolutely hammer your legs until you can't walk. I go to a very small gym, I teach kickboxing there infact and one day someone was benching in the squat rack while leaving the actual bench-press bench free. The guy was a tool.

the first thing - a guy i train with was suppoased to pick me up at 5:50 p.m. , coz we train at 6
i called him at 5:55 to ask him where he was and he forgot to tell me that he was going straight to the gym after the class...
i had to go by bus
i think i waited for the bus for something like 15 min (instead of the usual 1-8)
and the thing with buses here is that they have sensors on the doors, so unless there is no one like 2-3 feet away from the doors, it can't close
the buses were so fucking full (people going home from school and work...) that we stood on each stop for about 5 mins - FUCKING RAGE!
i had to switch buses at one point, but i decided walking would be faster and the bus wasn't coming for like 10 min
so i walked there, in the snow and just when i was like 100 m from the gym, that bus passes me by - HULK STYLE RAGE!
i think i started training at around 7... and i had to be at around 8:30 in another part of town...
the second thing - the gym was so fucking full yesterday, i don't remember when it was that full
of course, all 4 were taken (2 of them were used for 100 lbs seated shoulder press and for the forearm curls are whatever the fuck they are called)
so i stood there, waiting for this 7 foot douche to finish his 200 lbs 1/8 squats
when he finally was done i realized there aren't enough plates for me (coz like half of the gym decided to to deadlifts at that moment...)
i decided to take those eleiko metal PL plates which are on the other side of the gym, by the leg press...
i see that 7 foot douche going to the leg press and loading the plates on (we only have 4 25 kg ones and 10 20 kg plates)
after that i had to be wraped up so i had to have everything ready (i was doing 240 kg next)
and the fucking douche didn't load all of the 6 remaining plates on the leg press, but 5! fucking 5!
one put them perfectly and the other tied them all the way up to the middle of my right quad (which was injured for like a month and a half)
i didn't really pay attention while he was doing that coz i was psyching myself up for the squat
when i squatted down for the first rep, the pain was so fucking intense (from the wrap sinking deep into my quad and tightening) that i almost fell on my ass :D
but the second one was the last one, coz it really started to hurt (but i'm not sure that i would have gotten the third one anyway...)
after all that, i had to rush to the other side of the town, so my whole training session was ruined

Daaammmnn dude, that is rough!

So I'm getting a drink at the water fountain at my gym yesterday, and this dude comes up who I've talked to a few times before, and he proceeds to tell me he squatted 525 earlier that week. I said, "Oh. That's impressive." And he said, "Not really, I used to do 650."

This is like the third time this dude has come up to me to tell me how much he's recently squatted. I've never seen him squat, but I did see him attempt a 4 plate deadlift and not even get it off the ground, so I'll assume he's quarter squatting.

He also told me not to drink water during my workout because it lowers my body temperature and prevents fat loss.

i had to go by bus

You wouldn't have gotten the third we've already discussed this. I'm going by the store later, I'll pick you up a kleenex to wipe up your tears from the rest of it. I wonder what Capt. Kirk would have done in this situation...probably not racked it after 2.

All reasons why i am slowly putting together my home gym, firstly in the large spare bedroom, then move into garage when stuff gets too big.

- Watching a guy bench press on a bench inside a smith machine, i can't help think what he gets out of it.
- The thud-thud-thud on the treadmills of the people too lazy to stride properly, thinking doing 5 miles waddling on a machine translates to real-life performance.
- Then watch people pedal on the reclining cycles all night, sat watching TV without even realising they are pedalling.
- Then they get into their cars and drive the 1-2 mile journey home - past the high school running track, the 10 football playing fields, the hectares of countryside - open fields, woodland, adjacent to the 20 mile lengths of canal footpaths, designed as if by angels for jogging..

..Just being in the same gym makes me feel like a TV commercial advertising suicide.

..It's worth paying the extra bills for the bigger house just for that lol.

Back