Having a side gig that makes good money but that you viscerally hate

• Thread starter Deleted member 592822
  • Start date
I think I'm in between. I understand the need for money and want more, because it can buy a lot of comfort not only for me but also my kids. Nice home, good food, vacations, private schools etc.

but at the same time money is here to serve me, I'm not the one here to serve it. So what I want is doing something I like to get money instead of something I dread. Best of both worlds IMO
About how much extra money? their are plenty of new ways to do that these days but it's not big money, ubereats, amazon flex.

training folks is something I'd love to try too. don't know how much money is involved in that in my area. there's a guy on here who claims to do well with boxing lessons, he's in vegas though. Most of the people I've known in the martial arts and boxing haven't ever made a lot teaching those but I guess some folks do. the fitness thing may be different, you might need credentials like you did for the english teaching.

hey guys

I have a side gig which is teaching a foreign language, I have student and classes online. Been doing it for 10 years and it takes my whole Sunday generally.

I have a 9 to 5 that is going ok as well, getting a new certification and a lot more responsibilities.

The side gig allowed me to make money that always was helpful for travels, buying stuff for the home, for the kids etc. a standard of living I couldn't have had without.

But I came to hate it. Hate teaching. Not that interested in the language and it's culture anymore. Tired of students being lazy and missing classes.

I want to stop and try something in the fitness industry instead but it would mean being a bit short on money this year.

It's stupid but it reminds me of Ngannou leaving a fat guaranteed check in the UFC to try and do something he feels aligned with. He took risk but succeeded

what would you do in my stead ? Thanks
Do something else or use that money wiser

About how much extra money? their are plenty of new ways to do that these days but it's not big money, ubereats, amazon flex.

training folks is something I'd love to try too. don't know how much money is involved in that in my area. there's a guy on here who claims to do well with boxing lessons, he's in vegas though. Most of the people I've known in the martial arts and boxing haven't ever made a lot teaching those but I guess some folks do. the fitness thing may be different, you might need credentials like you did for the english teaching.

Do something else or use that money wiser

thanks for the advices bros

I have made a ton of money running a stand at the local swapmeet or what would be called a flea market anywhere else but it is a lot of work getting the merchandise together transporting it,dealing with CA bureaucracy and taxes, dealing with the public and also the new threat of those flash mobs that steal things.

Give the fitness thing a shot.
If it works out, then you'll be doing something that is more fitted with who are & purposeful with income.
Can always go back if not.

Doing something that drains you, (if not based on necessity or close too...) is not worth it.
Leads to looking back with resentment & regret.
Follow your gut & take the leap to start something new, seems like you are able.

Stop being a pussy and just do the side hustle. Comfort is the enemy of achievement. The bottom line is dollars don't make themselves so you gotta decide if your comfort is worth the detriment to your family
What a terrible advice lol. You are advocating doing someone one hates for money. Unless you were joking.

I repair and sharpen surgical equipment in a mobile truck.

My dad decided to tell everyone within a 5 mile radius of his house that I can do knife sharpening. Started happening so often I started charging.

Now every time I go to visit my parents there is a pile of knives, lawnmower blades, archery arrows, etc. that people have dropped off.

Some days I'm just really not in the fucking mood.

My dad decided to tell everyone within a 5 mile radius of his house that I can do knife sharpening. Started happening so often I started charging.

Now every time I go to visit my parents there is a pile of knives, lawnmower blades, archery arrows, etc. that people have dropped off.

ngl sounds super cool

What foreign language do you teach?

Also, have you ever thought about being a lot lizard?

I teach classical Arabic. You wouldn't believe it but the demand is HUGE. Also developed a method that makes anyone fluent in 2/3 years of once a week group classes so people like it and I get recommended a lot.

I'm just not into the language and culture anymore like I used to be. I had a passion for it that's why I learned and teached, and I made money with it without being the first objective initially. But now I'm burned and a lot of stuff in the Arabic learning community tire me out. 10 and a half years will do that to you.

Give the fitness thing a shot.
If it works out, then you'll be doing something that is more fitted with who are & purposeful with income.
Can always go back if not.

Doing something that drains you, (if not based on necessity or close too...) is not worth it.
Leads to looking back with resentment & regret.
Follow your gut & take the leap to start something new, seems like you are able.

I think you're right on the money (no pun intended). I should take the risk and put my energy into what I love. My gut tells me it's the right thing to do. Thanks

I mean in a sense youre already selling your hole to unruly students (The mouthhole). Maybe it is not as bad as you think.

Now that hurts because there's truth in it

hey guys

I have a side gig which is teaching a foreign language, I have student and classes online. Been doing it for 10 years and it takes my whole Sunday generally.

I have a 9 to 5 that is going ok as well, getting a new certification and a lot more responsibilities.

The side gig allowed me to make money that always was helpful for travels, buying stuff for the home, for the kids etc. a standard of living I couldn't have had without.

But I came to hate it. Hate teaching. Not that interested in the language and it's culture anymore. Tired of students being lazy and missing classes.

I want to stop and try something in the fitness industry instead but it would mean being a bit short on money this year.

It's stupid but it reminds me of Ngannou leaving a fat guaranteed check in the UFC to try and do something he feels aligned with. He took risk but succeeded

what would you do in my stead ? Thanks
Look at it in the long term and save what you make.
I had a 9-5 tech job and I was a bouncer as a side gig, for about 5 years. The only part that sucked was working 9-5 then working at the bar from 10-3 then getting up for work again at 9. But other than that it was good extra money and fun.

I work every Saturday from 9-2 as a side hustle. I make on average 200 in cash, sometimes up to 600. . I do not need it. I do it because I can, and use the money for fun stuff like going out for dinner or drinking, vacations etc. I do not hate it though. If I did, I would not do it, life is too short for that.

What does your dad get out of this? Is he charging these people?

so hiring a teacher and a kind of secretary to handle all the administrive stuff
I can't make the idea for you, but if you have a business that works well then there are ways to let someone else do the work and you get a part of the profits.

People were offering alternatives but he complained it didn't pay what the side hustle did. He must not hate it that much.

I responded like that only to one comment, who suggested shoving snow and mowing lawns. It pays way less for much more effort and isn't scalable so yes.

Back