Having guts to throw in the towel.

MMA is ultimately still glorified bum fights. It is bush league to its very core.

When the 'Superbowl of MMA' is paying 10/10 + Venum discount vouchers, society isn't going to be sending its best to corner cage fights now is it?

I can kind of understand it when you're only making like 1-2k a fight to coach a fighter for months.

I'd be pretty desperate for them to pull miracles out the bag/make it to the bell.

Make no mistake, his cornermen are cowards for not pulling the plug after round 2. He was out on his own stool and they put him back out there.
With as many champions as he’s trained. Jason Parillo is at, or very near the top of my list as a guy I’d like to have as a coach if I did mma.

Live to fight another day.

Respect..

1709429900922.gif

Sopaj is a real deal. Only 23 and he was completely gassed and taking some beating.

Wilder's ex-coach got a lot of shit including from the fighter himself for throwing in the towel, but if there ever was a time to throw in the towel, this was it.

Pity guys like O'Malley gets push like he's some Dana White's only child conceived after 20 year-long attempt, but guys like Sopaj just gets thrown to the wolves like a kid getting Umar for his UFC debut.

There are complete scrubs, like Pickett on the same card, with all due respect, who likely wouldn't find success in a regional scene, getting fed to guys like Bo, their future poster boy, but UFC gives no fuck about actual great prospects who doesn't have name value like Bo. They tried to feed 24 year old 9-0 Nurullo Aliev to 18-1 Rebecki not that long ago too.

It's real unfortunate how great prospects die out and not get the protection 1/1000th of what guys like O'Malley get.

And yes, O'Malley is terrible. And no, you weren't the only Sherbro around who were saying O'Malley is a better striker than Yan long before that fight happened. That would've been me, and he's not a good MMA fighter at all, just getting fed favourable match ups one after another, like Chito who looked dogshit two fights ago.

It's just unfortunate to see something like what happened to a promising prospect like Sopaj, man. Wish him the best.

100 % agree, but if ding-dong Dana doesn't tone down his ignorant tough guy bullshit, Sopaj becomes just another easy-to-cut Max Rohskopf.

Because apparently you should be prepared to die for your $8,000.

Missed the whole fight. All I caught live was the flying knee entirely out of context. That was ultraviolent.

I haven’t felt so bad for a fighter in a long time.The kid was doing good,than gassed and was getting beat up but showed great heart and only needed a little more time to survive and then gets KO’d in the most brutal way

100 % agree, but if ding-dong Dana doesn't tone down his ignorant tough guy bullshit, Sopaj becomes just another easy-to-cut Max Rohskopf.

Because apparently you should be prepared to die for your $8,000.

sadly true but max showed 1/100th heart Sopaj did before round 3..

Missed the whole fight. All I caught live was the flying knee entirely out of context. That was ultraviolent.

it was a great fight. It was deservingly fight of the night.

It's not common when a guy gets both performance of te night and fight of the night.

Make no mistake, his cornermen are cowards for not pulling the plug after round 2. He was out on his own stool and they put him back out there.

You should never throw in the towel , it’s totally more responsible to let them take unnecessary damage and let them get all fucked up so they can never perform at the same level and they have health problems later in life . I mean we’re talking about pride here , and the respect of a bunch of people who’ve never been in a fight watching on tv
I’ve never had to throw the towel in on any of my fighters (I was assisting in the corner once and told the main coach to throw it) but they all know I will if they put me in that position.

And if they want to throw a fit and fire me or what ever, that’s fine. I need to be able to sleep at night

All I’m getting from this thread is O’Malley shagged TS’s mum.

Look at it this way: if his coaches through in the towel at the end of the second round, in five years would anybody remember it or care? no. he'd have his entire career ahead of him. meanwhile, he took permanent damage and might not ever be the same fighter let alone improve, and in five years his body rag dolling to the floor as if he were dead will still be on highlight reals all over the internet.

This is professional mma; not a to the death gladiatorial fight.

I haven’t felt so bad for a fighter in a long time.The kid was doing good,than gassed and was getting beat up but showed great heart and only needed a little more time to survive and then gets KO’d in the most brutal way
This. Was really unfortunate and undeserving of such a brutal end to his debut.

Sopaj is a real deal. Only 23 and he was completely gassed and taking some beating.

Wilder's ex-coach got a lot of shit including from the fighter himself for throwing in the towel, but if there ever was a time to throw in the towel, this was it.

Pity guys like O'Malley gets push like he's some Dana White's only child conceived after 20 year-long attempt, but guys like Sopaj just gets thrown to the wolves like a kid getting Umar for his UFC debut.

There are complete scrubs, like Pickett on the same card, with all due respect, who likely wouldn't find success in a regional scene, getting fed to guys like Bo, their future poster boy, but UFC gives no fuck about actual great prospects who doesn't have name value like Bo. They tried to feed 24 year old 9-0 Nurullo Aliev to 18-1 Rebecki not that long ago too.

It's real unfortunate how great prospects die out and not get the protection 1/1000th of what guys like O'Malley get.

And yes, O'Malley is terrible. And no, you weren't the only Sherbro around who were saying O'Malley is a better striker than Yan long before that fight happened. That would've been me, and he's not a good MMA fighter at all, just getting fed favourable match ups one after another, like Chito who looked dogshit two fights ago.

It's just unfortunate to see something like what happened to a promising prospect like Sopaj, man. Wish him the best.

Kind of rambling here...and most of it seems to have nothing to do with your title.

O'Malley is 'terrible'? That is just irrational hate. Favourable matchups one after the other...really? He has faced strikers grapplers, and very well rounded MMA fighters. Is every style somehow a favourble matchup for hima???

So you're upset that Sopaj got a tough first fight in UFC and got flatlined...ok, we get it. No need to shit on O'Malley as a result.

Back