Having my first amateur kickboxing fight saturday - tips?

Albe

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Im having my first amateur kickboxing fight this saturday, in an event for debuting amateurs.

Im fighting a 31 yo guy in the 91kg division. Im about 1,92m 93kg, so i only have to cut 2 kg before the fight.

Its 3x3 min rounds with no shiguards, both of which i find kinda worrying.

I already fought 2 amateur boxing fights (2 wins by KO), but only one against a respectable opponent, and have plenty of kyokushin karate, but im not in the best shape. Ive been training basically boxing, but my kicks are still here due to karate experience.

Any tips? I feel like being a 3x3 min i should start really slow so i dont tire myself.

Sounds like you are quite experienced.

How experienced is the other guy?

Those rules sound pretty full on for a first fight amateur (in kickboxing) though to be honest.

Hit him, don’t let him hit you, good luck...

Sounds like you are quite experienced.

How experienced is the other guy?

Those rules sound pretty full on for a first fight amateur (in kickboxing) though to be honest.

I dont know anything about him apart from his name. Couldnt find anything online about him to be honest. I feel the same about the rules, i was expecting at least some shin-guards, but not even that.

Im going in just for the experience, since i feel like im not really in my best fighting shape. Cardio will most def be an issue, but i plan on picking my shots and using my reach as best as I can.

You must find out something about your opponent. Training experience at least.
About rules, I hope you know them. Never did even kick light bout and now first bout will be full contact?

Last edited:
You must find out something about your opponent. Training experience at least.
About rules, I hope you know them. Never did even kick light bout and now first bout will be full contact?

I did participate in several Kyokushin tournaments, so im used to getting my ass kicked haha

I mean not about it.
KB isn't boxing.
Cardio really bad?

I dont know anything about him apart from his name. Couldnt find anything online about him to be honest. I feel the same about the rules, i was expecting at least some shin-guards, but not even that.

Im going in just for the experience, since i feel like im not really in my best fighting shape. Cardio will most def be an issue, but i plan on picking my shots and using my reach as best as I can.

Sounds like you have a decent background with Kyokushin and boxing.

Are you confident checking kicks bare shins?

Where I’d be concerned is you say you are looking to pick your shots like you are going to box and move.

If you are up against a big leg kicker, being too reliant on the jab could honestly be the worst thing to do, although that depends on how experienced you are with leg kicks.

I mean not about it.
KB isn't boxing.
Cardio really bad?

Its not awful, I can spar some 5 rounds with good intensity, but i know that adrenaline saps energy like crazy, so im not counting on having energy for the whole fight.
I probably have a good advantage in the power department, both punches and kicks, but im kinda skinny so im not super durable in grinding afairs.

I did participate in several Kyokushin tournaments, so im used to getting my ass kicked haha

Ah I see so you are experienced with full contact kicks.

Picking yours shots sounds like a good idea but I’d be looking to land right hands (assuming you are orthodox).

Sounds like you have a decent background with Kyokushin and boxing.

Are you confident checking kicks bare shins?

Where I’d be concerned is you say you are looking to pick your shots like you are going to box and move.

If you are up against a big leg kicker, being too reliant on the jab could honestly be the worst thing to do, although that depends on how experienced you are with leg kicks.

Thats my main point of doubt. I used to have great reflexes on checking leg kicks but im rusty, so it most def will be an issue. I do fight south paw so the straight left is a good counter for the low kick.

Okey.
With bad cardio sometimes one method is used.
First round,
start slowly, if u can and ~1 min before round's end start to " process " him as quickly as you can to do. Maybe this surprised him a lot. Beginners often are trapped with this.
Then between rounds rest and see what is done.
You don't know what he can do, so don't allow him to come to close before you studied him in these first 1 - 2 minutes in first round. Before round's end start "process" him.

Okey.
With bad cardio sometimes one method is used.
First round,
start slowly, if u can and ~1 min before round's end start to " process " him as quickly as you can to do. Maybe this surprised him a lot. Beginners often are trapped with this.
Then between rounds rest and see what is done.
You don't know what he can do, so don't allow him to come to close before you studied him in these first 1 - 2 minutes in first round. Before round's end start "process" him.
Yeah, thats the plan. I still have a sneaky brazilian kick in my arsenal, i plan on studying a bit, throw low/mid kicks during the first part and in the end of the first round surprise him with a brazilian kick. Easier said than done but its something to fall back upon

Back