Movies HBO Max - Wonka

Iron Mang

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Did anyone watch this movie? My daughter and I watched it on Max over the weekend and we really enjoyed it. It was better than the Johnny Depp version, and probably as good as the original. The story was good, Chamlet did a great job as Wonka, and it was actually very funny as well. Also, I have come to the conclusion that Wonka actually has a superpower. His power is to do anything he imagines with chocolate/candies, such as making people fly. Great movie to watch with the kids if you have any, or if you just like Willy Wonka.

Man, I don't know. Gene Wilder will be hard to beat. I will give it a whirl; I thought this guy Chalamet was a little soft but I liked him in Dune.

Thought it was decent enough, but they played it far too safe with the Wonka character......there was always a sense that under the surface there was something a little bit macabre and creepy with him, but they played it too straight, imo.

Hard to expand on it in a kids film, I guess.

Thought it was decent enough, but they played it far too safe with the Wonka character......there was always a sense that under the surface there was something a little bit macabre and creepy with him, but they played it too straight, imo.

Hard to expand on it in a kids film, I guess.

Right. He was supposed to have a bit of a sinister mind, according to the books. I guess that is how Burton's version tried to portray him. In Wonka, Willy was generally a nice guy who had his heart in the right place. Whereas Gene Wilder's version had a bit of both sinister and good heart.

Man, I don't know. Gene Wilder will be hard to beat. I will give it a whirl; I thought this guy Chalamet was a little soft but I liked him in Dune.

I mean, this movie won't do anything to harden that softness! lol! It's a musical, so it is generally light-hearted.

It's been on the streaming sites I use forever. Will probably watch with the family after my busy season is over. Looks good with the exception of Hugh Grant. Cheap bastards refuse to hire midgets for these movies.

My son wanted to watch it so we gave it a go. Not bad really, mot gonna be a classic but better than I expected. The oomph loompa bits were surprisingly entertaining to me.

It's been on the streaming sites I use forever. Will probably watch with the family after my busy season is over. Looks good with the exception of Hugh Grant. Cheap bastards refuse to hire midgets for these movies.
He's also a c word which pissed off my viewing.

I really enjoyed it. It honestly felt like old school Disney magic, Mary poppins, bed knobs and broomsticks, etc. It’s not as good as the original but thats a very high bar. It comes close though and is muuuch better then the Burton atrocity.

I enjoyed it but it’s nowhere near the original. I thought the humor landed for the most part but I didn’t care for any of the music.

I’d say a solid 6.5 or 7/10.

Back