• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HB's guide to Krav-Maga.

I've taken a few years of kali and there knife defenses are horrible.

You do know that kali is a generic term encompassing around 2000 different martial arts, training and techniques vary as much.

As for Bas Rutten endorsing or supporting KM. What are his credentials as far as training with weapons? It's apples and oranges.

Again let's see the all out KM sparring that occurs on a regular basis.

Muay Thai kicks are powerful and cool, but the whole art ignores the kick to the groin, althought not beautiful, it's the easiest one to learn and it simply works! So people don't need to sweat their ass off to learn it, so it isn't good because it isn't hard? This is the same logic of kung fu from movies that if a movie isn't fancy and hard enough, it's not worth.

Yes that is the entire point man. Learning to beat people up is hard it takes alot of effort. There is no kicking people in the groin shortcut to learning how to take care of yourself in a fight it takes hard work, blood, sweat and tears. Doing techniques with an unresisting partner is not an effective way to learn techniques for the real world.

Hey, my acusation was a question, not a statement, since I couldn't be sure, but it would help if you could calm down your tone.

No, the techniques are not untested. They have been tested since the 30s. The Israeli Forces teste them since their very fundation on the 50s when their forces was quite crude and hand to hand combat was rather common in the battlefield. If you checked the video posted, Bas Rutten himself affirms the techniques work and that he had a 1st hand experience.

I personally know people who said KM helped them out of a bad situation, and im not talking about athletes or professional fighters, but average guys and girls who knew how to use their mind and body in a bad situation. And I also know freakish strong people who get fucked up for not knowing what to do. Muay Thai kicks are powerful and cool, but the whole art ignores the kick to the groin, althought not beautiful, it's the easiest one to learn and it simply works! So people don't need to sweat their ass off to learn it, so it isn't good because it isn't hard? This is the same logic of kung fu from movies that if a movie isn't fancy and hard enough, it's not worth.

The "deadly" KM is for military and such, teaching how to stab in a way the enemy doesn't scream and such. Im not talking about this, this thread is the civilian KM, devoted for self-defense.

People who train in "reality based" self defense act like combat sports practitioners cant kick someone in the balls or gouge someones eyes. That stuff is really easy to do for someone whos trained in combat sports. An MMA fighter can kick someone in the balls or poke their eye too. They'd probably be a hell of a lot quicker when doing it too so they have an advantage here.

Kung Fu does not have hard techniques, they are just showy but dont really inflict much damage. Krav Maga techniques are not showy but still dont inflict much damage. The point of combat sports is to inflict maximum damage and do it quickly. The reason is that your opponent will be resisting you.

Practitioners of hard combat sports have been punched and kicked a million times. They've been hit with especially hard strikes not found outside of combat sports. Or they've grappled and learned how to submit and control resisting opponents. The key here is that they learned it all under *full resistance* against other trained people. As a result they are better equipped for a street fight because they will be calm and collected even if they get hit. No one is invincible but this advantage helps.

Krav doesn't have full resistance, you stand there in a fixed position and let your training partner take the knife from you. Its a joke and it creates a dangerous sense of false confidence.

Bas Rutten is paid to endorse Krav Maga. Bas is all about combat sports, this is what Bas thinks of "super deadly no rules" martial arts.

Ok I hope I'm clear now, that was a long post. Please take my advice and go check out a gym for yourself. You'll see this when you train something else. Words can only make people understand so much. First hand experience will tell you everything you need to know.

Krav-Maga technique doens't inflict much damage? Man, my instructor once hold my arm in a way I felt it was going to break in 3 different points, I was literally screaming in pain. And you will say a kick to the groin doesn't inflict much damage? Are you an eunuch?

Kung Fu does have hard techniques, remember that Sanda/Sanshou is part of Kung Fu. Karate was heavily inspired by Kung Fu.

Bas Rutten worked as a bouncer for some years, so he has plenty of experience in street fights, besides his experience as a martial artist.

dan innosanto's version

That's a broad statement as well.
Guro Dan has turned out many competent instructors, but not all of them understand or adhere to all out training methods...many are instructors under systems that are for tradition, not fighting. Respect to him and his instructors, but his instructors fighting ability can vary greatly as well. Maybe the instruction you were getting was not for fighting but for tradition, but misrepresented by the instructor.

I know what you mean I've taken it from several different instructors all under different inosanto students. They all taught in very different ways. I actually preferred the traditional stuff the first thing i was taught was how to draw out the hand like the krav maga guy wants you to use so you can slash the hand/forearm, then slash the kneck/face, then drag the knife back down your opponents arm when you bring the knife back. My instructor who taught the more combatative/realistic stuff just wanted us to slash the hand/forearm then stab the heart throught the left armpit that they exposed.

the thread starter is definatley new to krav maga. the picture shown ealier is only the first move in the sequence, and the punch should be aimed at the throat. the second move in the sequence it to use the momentum of the knife attackers swing to bring the knife back into the attacker. There was an israeli soilder who was attacked in such a way and instead of punching like in the first sequence he chose to tear out the throat placing 4 digits on one side of the neck and the thumb just outside the adams apple. so the move can work but as in any fight where a knife is involved the smallest mistake or hesitation in excecuting a maneuver can be fatal, and maneuvers taught sometimes have to be adjusted depending on circumstances, but when someone attacks with a knife and is commited to causing harm, and if there is nothing around to throw at them then run, the worst thing to do is back away, getting slashed on the arm is not as bad as getting slashed pretty much anywhere else.

Question for person who started this thread, where did your krav maga instructor recieve his instruction?

Krav doesn't have full resistance, you stand there in a fixed position and let your training partner take the knife from you. Its a joke and it creates a dangerous sense of false confidence.

This is bullshit. You know what we do in Krav? Two people, one has a knife, then the instructor simply says, "Stab him." I remember training this. We don't stand there in a "fixed postition" that creates a sense of false confidence. I've been "stabbed" while practicing. If they don't defend themselves, it's their fault, not yours. Your job is to actually try and "stab" them.

And I'm telling you, this stuff is very hard to get down. I've practiced it too many times to count but even still if someone attacked me with a knife and I couldn't get away, I wonder if I could pull it off with all the adrenaline going and all the other environmental variables. But it's better than nothing, and still better than any other knife defense I've seen.

Heh, my thread evolved quite a lot.

Well, my belt exam will be on september!

My instructor and other KM blue belts around Brazil went to KM headquarters in Rio de Janeiro to apply for the brown belt. All failed. According to Kobi Lichenstein, they effort weren't enough and enough isn't good enough. :icon_lol:

By the way, at the end of month I will apply to the yellow belt, After 1 year and 2 months I won't be a white belt anymore! Well, Im confident I will pass, the tests for yellow belt is tiresome but not too rigorous.

Back