head gear

TAPSxAxLOT

White Belt
Reaction score
forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does head gear help against damage/punchiness/trama/concussions or is it just to prevent cuts and dings? I trained at one gym that required them for all sparring until I moved and am now at a gym that doesn't use them at all because, "they're just to prevent cuts"

input? experiences? thanks!

A lot of Insurance policies require Headgear for Sparring.
Headgear does reduce the Shock....but your Brain is still sloshing around in there.
The best protection is from Headbutts and Elbow bumps

that makes sense. when we train MMA it's generally light punches to the head, and if the situation calls for elbows while on the ground it's always VERY careful and very controlled, so I can see why the instructor isn't too worried about headgear

Just IMHO, but for anyone who thinks headgear only prevents cuts, and plays absolutely "no" role in dissipating or distributing force over a larger more padded surface area. Try this:

While wearing suitable headgear, bang your forehead into a concrete wall, now repeat with no headgear, and see which hurts less. :icon_lol:

:icon_chee

I feel like it does help.

I am no physicist, but I feel much better with an extra layer of foam/gel between my opponent's punch and my face.

But don't develop a false sense of security. It WILL hurt if you're hit hard enough.

it does help in preventing concussions, skull fractures, etc.

head gear gear helps to cushion the acceleration of your skull when you get punched.
the force is dissipated in both area and time. hits will hurt a lot more without headgear.

i always wear head gear and mouth piece when i spar, i plan on training until i'm 90, lol.

Last edited:
All of the above are true.
Just be aware that wearing the Headgear will make you able to "take" hard blows to the head that you wouldn't tolerate without the Headgear.
You won't get lumps on your head but will wake up the next morning with a Headache.

Wear your Headgear, but DON'T USE IT AS ARMOR.
Defend yourself as if it weren't there.

Anyway, don't you want to avoid accidental cuts and a scratched up face?

Just IMHO, but for anyone who thinks headgear only prevents cuts, and plays absolutely "no" role in dissipating or distributing force over a larger more padded surface area. Try this:

While wearing suitable headgear, bang your forehead into a concrete wall, now repeat with no headgear, and see which hurts less. :icon_lol:
...and post video. :D

:icon_chee
Excellent Suggestion!

In all seriousness - I'd rethink the gym & instructors that your training in/with if they really believe and say that. Time to find someplace new with folks that have a clue.

In all seriousness - I'd rethink the gym & instructors that your training in/with if they really believe and say that. Time to find someplace new with folks that have a clue.

Agreed!

Find a gym where what they care about is making you a better fighter, not showing you how tough they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeavyChag
Back